NOVEMBER, 2021 ANIMAL & WILDLIFE CHALLENGE

Anne, I had forgotten about the "thread method". I learned that in a workshop many years ago. Some also attach thread to the periphery of photos, so as not to mar them. The permanent one you made is an excellent idea.

What is the process, Anne. Is the grid placed over the drawing and you then draw in the squares made by the grid lines?

Penny, yes. One places a grid over the reference photo and a grid of the same proportions over the drawing surface. Then each square is drawn individually. Many drawing books and YouTube videos demonstrate it. It is good for when an accurate likeness, like a portrait, is done.

What is the process, Anne. Is the grid placed over the drawing and you then draw in the squares made by the grid lines?
When I first started, I made some grids on overhead transparencies with a thin permanent marker. I got into the habit of printing my references 8"x10", so I made one grid, 5x7 squares, another 8x10 squares and another one 11x14 squares for each of the size papers that I normally would use. I would tape the appropriate grid over the photo. Later on, I stopped printing my references and superimposed the correct grid over my photo with the computer and worked from the screen.

I place the threaded grid over my paper and lightly tape it in place with removable tape. Then I draw on the paper through the open squares of the grid. It makes using a grid very quick and easy.

Threaded Grid.jpg

I was working on this while Joy posted. I figured as long as I took a picture and wrote it out, I would give the details of my method too.

Anne - excellent explanation! I don't use it that often, and will put tracing paper with a grid over my subject photo, but that does create a layer that makes it hard to see detail. BTW, I took a peek at your website and was impressed by how skilled you are in many media. The still lifes (garlic, copper kettle) from recently and some in 2018 I found to be of exceptional merit.

Anne - excellent explanation! I don't use it that often, and will put tracing paper with a grid over my subject photo, but that does create a layer that makes it hard to see detail. BTW, I took a peek at your website and was impressed by how skilled you are in many media. The still lifes (garlic, copper kettle) from recently and some in 2018 I found to be of exceptional merit.
Thanks Joy. I got serious about studying art after I retired although I have done it all my life. My medium has evolved over time.

Penny, glad I could help.

Well, I am quite frustrated with myself. After two tries and several hours of work, I ripped up my attempts of the lamb. Even if it isn't what I planned, I can usually salvage a painting. Getting the shadows and BG wasn't working at all; the whole thing was a mess. If I had learned where I went wrong, I would be less irked. So I feel like I wasted a lot of time. Some videos on painting white animals seemed to help a bit. Now I am discouraged but will hopefully feel better tomorrow.

Well, I am quite frustrated with myself. After two tries and several hours of work, I ripped up my attempts of the lamb. Even if it isn't what I planned, I can usually salvage a painting. Getting the shadows and BG wasn't working at all; the whole thing was a mess. If I had learned where I went wrong, I would be less irked. So I feel like I wasted a lot of time. Some videos on painting white animals seemed to help a bit. Now I am discouraged but will hopefully feel better tomorrow.
Oh goodness Joy, I know that feeling so well. I get it very often indeed. I hope you feel better today and can start fresh next time without being hampered by a loss of confidence. Maybe try a different ref photo?

Such an interesting discussion about tracing/grids etc. That thread grid is genius!

Tracing paper suits me very well as it's so quick. I quite enjoy drawing landscapes freehand, but for anything where accuracy matters I use tracing paper. I like to get the best end results I can from my skill level, so I need all the help I can get!

Sorry you had such a problem. If you have that kind of problem again, don't rip it up but put it aside until the 20th then ask people to help. Sometimes another set of eyes can spot the problem and give you feedback. If you specifically ask for help, I'm sure people will be glad to take a look. (If the pieces aren't too small, tape it back together and let us take a look when it's time to post your pictures on the 20th.)

If your problem is white, think of light pastels as your "darks." Edit the image reference and push the contrast way up so you can see where the "shadows" are. Then put those in. A good pastel to start with is a very light purple. There are a lot more shadows there than you think. Don't be afraid to put them in.

Hope this helps.

Oh, what a pain, Joy. I almost tore up something I did other day but set it aside and worked on it again and was pleased I did. hope you sort it.

Thanks for the advice. I was able to see where the shadows were, but I just overworked it to the point it was a muddy mess. It was very unnatural looking.

Joy - make it a mixed media artwork. I've experienced the same, many times, then gone back into it with pastels or other media, and it's often surprising what turns out!

Thanks, Vivien. I actually donated the few pastels/oil pastels I had from my teen years, as I have my hand full with watercolor. It has been a very trying time for me with non-art issues lately, so I must try to be more compassionate with myself. And I did not want to keep working on something that was causing me frustration in what is supposed to be an escapist endeavour. The fellowship here and at WC is always greatly appreciated.

Here you all are!!! Hello! Signed up here too, hadn't been on WC in months (yet another shoulder surgery, haven't been painting since June). Good to see so many familiar names on this board. Hope to have one of these fabulous photos ready by the 20th- see you again then! -Pat

Last edited:
Thanks, Vivien. I actually donated the few pastels/oil pastels I had from my teen years, as I have my hand full with watercolor. It has been a very trying time for me with non-art issues lately, so I must try to be more compassionate with myself. And I did not want to keep working on something that was causing me frustration in what is supposed to be an escapist endeavour. The fellowship here and at WC is always greatly appreciated.

Here you all are!!! Hello! Signed up here too, hadn't been on WC in months (yet another shoulder surgery, haven't been painting since June). Good to see so many familiar names on this board. Hope to have one of these fabulous photos ready by the 20th- see you again then! -Pat
Hi Pat, good to see you here! I arrived here in September along with lots of other WC members.

Back