NOVEMBER, 2021 ANIMAL & WILDLIFE CHALLENGE

Very interesting to hear all about how you work. I draw free-hand and use tracing paper. If I need realistic work the tracing is handy. I tried grids but don’t get on with them. I usually work from a print, alongside my iPad, with which I can zoom in. I don’t think there’s a right or a wrong way to draw and use whatever it takes to get the image I want. After all, the old masters used grids and camera obscuras. It’s the outcome that counts!

I have not participated in this thread, but I am following it and everyone has really impressed me so much! I wanted to mention something about tracing--that Norman Rockwell and well as many other highly noted artists used tracing. That doesn't mean they did not know how or didn't learn how to draw, nor did it mean that inhibited them from drawing. I just wanted to say that. ♥️

I use tracing when I am blowing my work up larger because once I get all my proportions correct, I am not going to do it all over again. I am LAZY! LOL! :ROFLMAO: And, I'm slow enough in making art as it is. I have used my printer and a lightbox to do this, as well as an enlarger. I have especially used this with animals since I never really learned how to draw them or really needed to, except some dogs. I love dogs and have observed them more than any other animal.

I don't think there is anything wrong with tracing. Since my last reply I remembered something - sometimes I do a rough sketch of things in a sketchbook before I start my painting, and it can take a while to get things right and I know I won't be able to get it right for my finished piece, so I'll trace from my sketch. It can save a lot of time!

After all, the old masters used grids and camera obscuras. It’s the outcome that counts!

Penny
Penny, that is a very good point. Maybe most of you have seen the documentary of a novice's attempt to recreate a master's painting, called Tim's Vermeer. It was astonishing; I saw it twice and could view it again. Even those non-artists would be fascinated.

BTW, are you participating at WC any more? It is going to be there until Feb/March. I noted there are no responses in some of the monthly challenges this month that ususally have a lot of interest. CS is so user friendly, and the members have been great. It is time-consuming to "keep up" with two forums.

Ayin, I am incredibly slow, spending ages with a drawing, then overworking a painting. Most of the time I get sick of working on a painting well before it is finished. That's why I tried some sketching.

Kay M, I almost always draw on a piece of paper first, then transfer to the WC paper. This is so I do not mar the painting surface by erasing. Since I erase quite a bit, I have adapted to using the eraser in my non-dominant hand most of the time.

Joy, I saw that movie Tim's Vermeer. I loved it so much! I could see that again too.

For my next show, I'm planning on doing a lot of preliminary sketches/Plein air drawings, so I will be doing a bit of drawing again. Good idea Joy! :)

No, Joy, I haven’t seen the Vermeer reproduction. Do you have a link to it. Perhaps its on YouTube.

Penny - Tim's Vermeer is a documentary movie, any library can get it. I don't know if you saw my earlier post to you. It reads as follows:

BTW, are you participating at WC any more? It is going to be there until Feb/March. I noted there are no responses in some of the monthly challenges this month that usually have a lot of interest. CS is so user friendly, and the members have been great. It is time-consuming to "keep up" with two forums.

Interesting discussion about sketching or traceing! Both have value. If Im in a hurry to get on with my painting, I dont mind traceing the ref but the best of all is too do some freehand sketching as much as possible. I participated in the WC Scavenger Hunts for years and loved sketching what I'd gathered together for the "Hunt". There's nothing as great as sketching from real life, to improve our sketching techniques! Now I sound like the WC Moderator I was for years, so sorry I didnt mean to lecture about it!

Joy - I think there's many members from WC here now, as I see people I know from there, here all the time. As you know Ive left WC, and as I was Moderator on Animal & Wildlife there for so many years I quite often find myself breaking into "Mod" mode when replying to members posts! I was so sad to leave WC, but I was in it from 15 years ago when it was such a vibrant, brilliant Site for artists, and Ive seen it gradually go down, especially when we all tried so hard when the new owners took over. I didnt want to be there to see WC in its "deathrows". This is very, caring Site and we are all so happy and glad to be here.

Penny - Tim's Vermeer is a documentary movie, any library can get it. I don't know if you saw my earlier post to you. It reads as follows:

BTW, are you participating at WC any more? It is going to be there until Feb/March. I noted there are no responses in some of the monthly challenges this month that usually have a lot of interest. CS is so user friendly, and the members have been great. It is time-consuming to "keep up" with two forums.
Sorry, Joy. I did see your post then, being busy, it went out of my head. I an posting here and at PMP and find that enough to cope with, so won’t be posting at WC anymore. I don’t have a video player so wouldn’t be able to view the documentary. I will look to see if it’s on line anywhere. Thanks for telling us about it. I like watching “Fake or Fortune”, where famous paintings are copied.

I agree, there's nothing like sketching from real life. I've taken part in several life
drawing and life sculpture workshops.. The quick [30 second ] gesture studies were
tremendous for capturing the action and loosening up generally. I used to do them
in charcoal [a large piece - to avoid nit-picking the details and thereby losing the action
and the spirit of the drawing]

To practice , I sometimes do it the other way round - I take an even bigger piece of charcoal
and cover the paper with an even coat. Then I 'draw' the figure with a kneadable eraser.
in a very loose way.

A very good book that really helped my drawing is Burne Hogarth's 'Dynamic Figure
Drawing'. He covers form and 'seeing in the round', action, perspective , the pose
and how to change it etc. He has also written several other books in his 'Dynamic Drawing' series.

I try to avoid doing an outline to start with. I like to capture the gesture and spirit first
then build the details.

Cheers,
Patricia

Joy, I see I can watch the Vermeer video for a small fee on Prime Video.

I haven't started mine yet. I haven't been able to decide which surface to use. (I'm so out of practice!). I'm working away from home this week so I'm going to take it with me and start it tomorrow.

Well, I've notice that none of the common ways to transfer the reference work for me, what I mean is that usually I use all of them and none. I do not like the remanent of tracing or drawing and correcting or meshing in my drawings. I've come to trace only very dark parts of the drawing, which need to be marked/color dark after. Also, sometimes I put marks on specific points to mark positions (by tracing), these are very light and easily erased. In this way there are no remains of the under-sketch. I tape/mask a frame in all my paper drawings and often I use meshing markings the outside the drawing area, in the masking frame tape, which I use sporadically use to measure positions with the use of a ruler or the side of a paper matching the markings. And I sketch the forms that are remaining.

Also depends what I want to do with it, for instance if I'm going to do acrylics I avoid using graphite, but use charcoal. Graphite tends to float over the acrylic medium and some marks are almost impossible to erase. This is why I tend to use charcoal if I do an underdrawing. Also when I use layering and keep the underdrawing.

Also depending on the surface, if its canvas, yupo o aluminum or some non absorbent surface, I will not even sketch or draw anything, I'd mask with tape the shape, and tone it with paint or airbrush. Most problems I become is when I sketch something, then is always coming through the layers of paint. Just happened to me in the one I am working just now. I've been literally fighting for 5 days for a line I sketched to guide myself, and keeps coming out.

Oh dear, Federico! I hope the problem line disappears. Thanks for telling us about your working methods.

I haven't started mine yet. I haven't been able to decide which surface to use. (I'm so out of practice!). I'm working away from home this week so I'm going to take it with me and start it tomorrow.
Good, Kay. I hope you are able to start.

When I was using a grid, I avoided marking my paper with a grid by making an open grid from an old mat and some thread.

I have attached a picture of what I made.

Attachments

• Open Grid.jpg
    Open Grid.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 98
Very clever and inventive, Anne. Thanks for telling us about it.
Actually, when I developed this, I checked out patents to see if anyone else had invented and patented something similar. Unfortunately, someone had patented a similar design around 1900. Oh well. (n) Anyway, it worked well for me and I still would use it if I were painting a portrait for someone and it had to be "right."

I made a few of them in the different sizes that I usually worked in.

Back