New Artist's Book

Could you cut a little piece of cardboard/poster board to fit in the edge that would fold sort of a cursive U and have a bit of it fit under the back edge of the book and add a pencil laying in the box? Just a suggestion to make things fit.

I thought of doing that already with making a false bottom for this particular box because it is also probably going to be a little too deep. That might be too many "U" shaped cardboard features in one box. I don't really like that.

I was just pricing out how much it would be to get the right sized papers to make the book fit well in the box and it would cost me another $300. I've already spent a lot of money on all the items I have needed. It would be cheaper to waste these boxes that are on the way and find new ones that are a better fit. I may do that. I'm still thinking about it. There are a lot of aspects about getting 5 clean cigar boxes that make the cut because they can't have any embossed/debossed elements on the labels, which hard to find. Then to get the perfect size is another needle in the haystack, but I have a couple possibilities/feelers out there to people who sell them. That would only be a waste of $70 on cigar boxes that I could maybe use for other things in the future. Or resell them. Anyway, it's a lot cheaper of an option.

Thanks for the help on problem solving. I love it. ♥️

I wish I could weight in on the problem solving. I will if I can.

We are both suffering from dental problems. My mouth and cheek are swollen. Paracetamol seems to afford some relief, on this occasion.

I bought the new cigar boxes and will see if I can sell the other two sets.

Iain, I sure feel for you. I stopped taking the pain pills and am just taking Advil and Tylenol now. It's only taking the edge off though.

Hope the new boxes are good. I really like the feet being at the bottom. Is the premise of getting lost based on personal experience, I wonder...

Likewise, Art. I am hoping the penicillin starts working soon.

Sucks when things fall out of rhythm. You add to the walls of the first, false fill the second, buy a third or make your things fit in one of them. Good luck with the pain: hope it fades away as quickly as it came.

Looks like I have everything to start, but I can't until I have those new boxes in-hand. I can't figure out exact measurements until I have them.

In the meantime, I could paint the tops of the black first aid tins and carve the bow drills (I need to go hunting for the perfect branches). I have the rest of the wood parts to carve however.

start.jpg

I could even start working on the lino cut prints, but I've been a bit lazy about all of these tasks. I've been working on layouts on the computer and a "to-do" list for the entire project instead, like designing the fold-out map that will go inside the book (I'm going to be hand-painting them).

dummyfoldoutpage.jpg

I plan on making three lino cuts though. One will be on the cover of the box as a sticker label. The other two will be printed on Rives BFK paper in the book. It took a little while to know what I'll be drawing on the blocks, but I have it figured out now.

The cover on the box will be an abstracted hiker going up a hill. Very simple lines. The two in the book will be a campfire and a landscape. Soon there will be pictures once I actually do these things. Plus, I have a new camera on the way. I've been using my cell, which isn't great.

These are the new cigar boxes coming (bad eBay picture):

newboxes.jpg

They will be spray painted matte black.

This thing might take me a year to complete since I plan on making paintings in between.

The hand-painted fold out map sounds exquisite. There is something quite cute (positively) about those Nationak Park maps with their symbols of trees, hills, etc. Likewise with cigar boxes. I am really beginning to understand and appreciate this project. It is a match made in heaven. 🤎

It was John Muir, the naturalist and writer, who influenced the National parks in North America, I believe. Never did get around to reading him.

Still working away but still don't have the new boxes in hand. However, there's plenty I can do until I get them. Believe me.

I've been painting the tops of the first aid kits, carving the bow kits and lino blocks, and taking some photographs. Today is a rainy day, so it was a great way to get dirt on my hiking boots for this shot:

shoeshero72.jpg

It was going to be a black and white picture in the book, but I decided it looks too good in color.

This is my table at the moment after finishing the first aid kits, which I painted in enamel:

oudlandertableip72.jpg

This is what's inside them:

firstaidkitaccessories72.jpg

I have this shot of an area of one of my favorite hiking paths that I'll be using, and will have to take one more photo of something...maybe rocks. Maybe I'll make that one black and white (I wanted at least one black and white or sepia image in the book). I thought it would be the shoes, but I don't think so now.

doggietrail72.jpg

This is actually part of the walk I take every day. Is it too boring?

mynewstreet.jpg

I can play with it to see how it would look as a sepia image. Not sure.

I wouldn't have the patience. The kit looks like fun but I am not so much of a fan of the last picture .. landscape 101 .. the road takes your eye out of the picture. Probably just me but I kind of like the old suggestion of a rule now and then: especially if it helps keep the viewer for another moment or two.

Thanks for the suggestion Wayne. But I still want to keep this image I think. No offense. There will be "landscapes" in the book, but some images are for the theme of the book, which is about walking and hiking and need a "path" which will go with part of the story. This one would kind of illustrate that. I think I am going to make this one black and white and grainy. I want it to look old I think. I'm still playing with it in Photoshop.

- - - -

To give you more of an idea of what else is in the book, there will be two original watercolors of landscapes, one will have a hiker in it. There will also be a print of a watercolor of a desert landscape, this one:

landwalker72.jpg

And a couple other prints of paintings that are abstracts with little black feet, like this one:

runawaybox.jpg

There will be three lino block prints (the top one will be on the cover of the box):

linoblocks.jpg

Then there will be two original plein air sketches, an original maze drawing and an ink drawing of trees, two pencil drawing prints--one of a jackalope/bat and the other will be some hiker's survival items. Here's the jackalope:

bunnybat.jpg

I obviously have yet to draw and paint much of this stuff. One thing at a time, right?

My books sell for pretty good money (when they sell), but I only make one edition every few years. They usually take months, if not a year. I'll keep posting progress stuff and the elements as I make them. I think the most time-consuming part is the original fold-out map I'm making (front and back). That's going to be a bitch. It's somewhat typographical and has a bunch of funny, made-up landmarks on it.

Right now, I'm just glad the book and everything else is going to fit into the box, which will be spray-painted black.

insidebox.jpg

If you guys would like to read part of the handwritten story on one of the pages...

"The outlander walks off the beaten trail to explore the unfamiliar. They try to navigate the rocks and hillsides, but the vastness of the wide-open space obscures the mind. Lost in the tall grass, the outlander attempts to connect the unknown terrain to home—to a place of peace and stable ground. As they flounder and seek, desperately reaching for freedom and country, they search out fulfillment in the soil before discovering that the land belongs to all."

That's the longest page. The rest of the worded pages are shorter and one is just a rubber-stamped page that says "GET LOST" and "Take a hike" over and over.

The whole book is 30 pages, including and embroidered 111 lb. matte black cardstock cover, plus Japanese print paper, Katmandu handmade paper, rag white text, Rives BFK, Arches, Strathmore, and Moab Legion papers.

The centerfold will have footsteps to a cartoon porta-potty! :ROFLMAO:

Writing all this out on this thread is helpful to me, so thank you for indulging me!

you're doing a spectacular job making a book seems like a very difficult job, a very complex project, but the result is already and it will be incredible that
you put so much skill, creativity, talent, art, craftsmanship, research into it. wonderful everything you posted.

no, but I think you are doing a wonderful job that is in your strings and in your art
and you have already done the same, I really liked what you had published, the photos from the previous book.

and that the flow, the passages, make you think or know things that maybe admiring a painting or a work like this I don't think about all the phases and skills that a job may require (from the material to the techniques, etc.). so something so special and complex, i knew very little about artist books and this is very nice, so thank you 2 times.

Back