New Artist's Book

Will it be accordion folded like the other one I saw?....looking forward to seeing it in progress.

Outlander sounds a little bit like a TV series. But it works in terms of being out of your element, since you've never tried bushcraft. Wanderlost almost sounds like a lost place, like Shangri-La. Outlander implies more about what you are, Wanderlost more about what you're doing. 'Tis your book, your decision. The cover concept works well. I'm not so sure that making a bow drill, large or small, is that simple. It might take me several tries to get it right.

PSA, it will not be an accordion fold out, no. Just a semi-soft cover with a handsewn spine. I think you should make one called Wanderlost. That's a great idea.

Musket, I'm pretty sure that Outlander was a TV series, or a popular book maybe? But not an Artist's book. I don't mind. I have other books with simple titles and that doesn't bother me. It's not a competitive market in terms of titles. It's a lot like titling a painting. In any case, I'm not 100% on the name, yet.

The bow drill doesn't necessarily have to work, just implied, but I'll see what I can do with it.

I see wanderlost as a kids picture book. I actually wrote a first draft yesterday. I may or may not finish the project.......

That's great PSA! I hope you do it. I know what you mean though. I probably have more ideas that never come to fruition that do.

I’ll let you know if I continue with it. I may recruit grandkids to help with the illustrations....it could be a fun collaboration. Just for fun

I think it was a TV series about an Englishwoman who goes to Scotland, I forget when, maybe mid 18th Century.

Your Outlander cover looks great Arty. We used to have a column in our local paper written by a guy who called himself the Outlander. He was writing about this area but was not originally from here.

Yes, I like the mock-ups, too, and both one-word titles. Making the bows should be fun. Like the feet!

20210704_031524.png

I've been working on all aspects of the new book, trying to make a quick mock-up of a dummy book--at least for how many pages, and which pages are going where, and on what kinds of paper. It's all planned out now (for the most part) and all the materials have been purchased.

Instead of using blue linen, I'm going to use this natural handmade paper from Nepal on the covers and behind the embroidery:

nepal-paper.jpg

So essentially, the book cover will have more of these colors:

bookcover.jpg

I decided to paint the boxes black too. I'm referring to these cigar boxes, which is what the book and the other items will be fitting into:

il_794xN.1425172430_tdzr.jpg

I bought the compasses that are going into the boxes (little boxed within boxes). They are pretty decent and are not just for "looks." They are used in navigation:

compass.jpg

The book also comes with a pocket first aid kit in a little tin that will be hand painted on the outside with red, white, and black enamel paint. I'm also making (hand carving) a mini bow drill kit, but I have no idea if it will be workable. I'll try to start a fire with it, but I'm no professional bush crafter. I still have to go find five perfect sized branches to carve the bow for those.

So, the book itself is going to have 30 pages, not including the semi-soft covers (111 lb. cardstock). The papers include the Nepal paper from above (centerfold), Moab Legion papers for original drawings and digital prints, cream Strathmore drawing papers, screen printed Japanese paper, Arches hot press, Rives BFK, and some bright white text paper.

There won't be a "story," but there will be three pages of very short "prose," all handwritten and/or rubberstamped. Eight pages are printed (artwork and photographs) and the rest is original art: two linoleum block prints, two watercolors, and the rest are drawings. One page is a fully original topographical fold-out map (the front and back will be original watercolor, pen and ink) of a non-existent place.

The book without the feet is only 4.5 x 7 inches (closed). With the back feet hanging off, it's another inch and a half wide. They'll have a hand stitched binding.

That's all for now. I can keep posting updates as I have them. I don't have other pics right now--just scrap papers with lots of scribbly notes and a very rough mini dummy book that only have notes scribbled on each page:

dummy1.jpg

Keeping busy. It does look like an entertaining project.

... if I make a book I couldn't give it away 😒

This is going to be wonderful! So much detail in the planning. Love the first aid kid, compass and map...and all in a cigar box. This book could only be the product of someone who is a greater Wanderloster! 🙂

How wonderful! I look forward to updates on the progress. I love your previous books. They are inspirational!

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. The time is in all the little design details. Today I spend a long time designing the print/worded side of the fold-out map, which is not going to be printed at all. Both sides will be hand painted/drawn. I needed to lay it out in Photoshop first as far as how it would fold, what it was going to say, where the pictures and fake logos will go, etc. It is a map of "Wilderness National Park." It doesn't exist of course, but it's apparently a historical monument with wolves, coyotes, bears, panthers, dingoes, and squirrels, all of which could possibly carry your baby away if you're not vigilant. :ROFLMAO:

what you have described, anticipated is very beautiful, it will be a fantastic book and full of surprises

Arty, this is going to be such fun to watch. I'm really anxious to see it progress. I love that paper, it looks antique, almost like an old scroll. Even with only 5 of these, you are going to be one busy person. :love:

In just these planning stages, I get overwhelmed with doing only five, but eventually this stuff gets done in time. Thanks sno!

I've had a bit of a setback for a couple reasons. 1, I've had complications since I got a tooth extracted last week and have been in a lot of pain since. No one understands why my pain is increasing, and I'm not dealing with it well. And 2, the cigar boxes I have for this project, which is what was determining the book size and almost everything else are not going to work out. They are slightly too shallow. :(

I had to purchase some new boxes, which are a completely different size. But everything needs to fit, so there you have it. It's not going to be a "perfect" fit either, which sort of bums me out too. The book will be a lot bigger now, and the feet will be situated on the bottom, which is the way I originally wanted the layout to be. That part is great.

bookcover72.jpg

The new size of the book would be like 4.75 high by 9.25 wide, with the feet coming down an extra inch and a half. The box dimensions are wider than the book though. I don't have the boxes in hand yet, so the book size may change again. I could have made the book a perfect fit had I not already ordered all the expensive papers. The boxes are approx. 10 inches wide, in which case, I'd need all my papers to be at least 20 inches wide on one side. I suppose I could just spend more money and order some bigger paper. Some are big enough, but some aren't--mainly, the one that goes through the printer and the covers.

We'll see how it goes. I'm glad I didn't cut anything yet.

Back