New Artist's Book

Single thread looks neater. I did think, I don't have a single thread to compare, but then discounted the thought. That tells me I should trust myself more, but then, I fuck up. i must live in a state of volatility. We all must.

Arty I'm loving this. You are making such good progress that I don't think it will take you as long as you predicted. I love that it looks crafty, yet professional. I bet you will find all sorts of uses for that new printer in the future. It will likely pay for itself. You go! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Thank you Joe and sno. I agree it will pay for itself. I think it won't take as long as I think too, but it will just be a lot of work in general.

I made the first official original sketch on cream-colored Strathmore paper. Four more to go for this particular page. It's 4 x 6 inches. This is from a hiking path in Los Angeles's Griffith Park:

fernbridgedrawing72.jpg

Looking at it now, I feel like I could render it better, but it was intended to just be a "sketch." What do you think?

Iain, I'm still undecided about the thickness of the thread on the cover. I have plenty of time to think about it though. ;)

I agree joe, there is something very personal and intimate about the drawn line. Your drawing looks relaxed and self-assured, Art., and the subject is imbued with that. Yes, no need to make hasty decisions. That's my job 😁 Measure three times, cut once, as they say in the trades.

I love the sketch. I wouldn't change it at all. I think rendering it on the cream colored paper makes it "belong" to the book. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Two more pages started...

inksketch72.jpg

maze-drawing72.jpg

Four more to go on each. I'm working on this whole cream sheet of paper for now. The 4th panel will have words on them: hand-written, but it won't be the one that sits beside any of the above images. In the book, there's a Paul Klee quote that sits beside this spiral drawing: "A drawing is simply a line going for a walk."

Thanks Iain.

Well, I ran into a little traumatic catastrophe. Just when I was putting the final touches on a four-panel page (the one with three original sketches on it and original handwriting), I attempted to erase some light pencil (register) marks, and accidentally slipped, pulling the paper into a warped fold under the eraser. I was even trying to be very careful not to do that! I had my fingers on both sides of the edges of the paper, but I guess I was pulling on the gum eraser a bit too hard. :(

It's pretty creased and I think I have to redo the entire page. But in the meantime (maybe in some miracle from the sky), I tried to wet it with some distilled water and now I have it between some Glassine under a pile of heavy books. I'll check it tonight to see if that fixed it, but I doubt it.

I was almost done with all five of those original sheets. Too bad!

In other good news, my printer rocks and I was able to print all the printable (digital) pages. They look fantastic. The color is really clear and I'm happy there.

That would have caused an expletive or three. Good on the print though. Good feeling to see your work reproduced on fine paper. What printer did you go for? If you don't mind my asking.

Glad the printer is working so well for you. See? It will pay for itself. Not good about the crease but maybe your fix will work. Everything is looking great so far.

I haven't looked at the paper yet, but it's been under the books for about three hours now. I'm pretty impatient.

Iain, I got a Canon Pixma TS9520 for under $300. I think because it was an older model. But it prints at high quality. I once had an Epson that I paid $1200 for, but it broke eventually, even after I had it serviced twice over the years. I would pay that much again.

I found yet another mistake today, if you can believe this. I hate admitting to doing two in one day, but I printed something wrong. Actually, what I did was write the wrong sentences on the cream paper. I'd already printed them on another sheet! I can swap it out for another page, thankfully, and it will still work with the flow of the book, I just have to reprint those sheets now. However, I ran out of that particular paper. Ahhh! Now I have to wait for it to come in the mail. Can you believe it? I'm such a moron. But paying $20, waiting for the mail, and reprinting on the printer is way better than redrawing three original drawings five times + handwriting the sentences. Not that I care about the handwriting part.

I'll let you guys know if the water and the books fixed the cream drawing paper later today. 🤞

I really like the three pages. Content and how they show up. nice to admire that It is a nice preview of the book.
I hope the card has settled.

Back