New Artist's Book

Oh Arty, for not even having the boxes in hand you have done a lot of work. This is fantastic! You do know that when you are finally finished, the book gets a whole thread with photos of every page and all the accoutrements. :giggle:

Thank you so much Joe, PSA, and sno!

I've been working a bit in Photoshop trying to edit the pages that will be printing off the printer. Now that I finally have the exact measurements, I can go forward with those particular pages. I just have anxiety about how they will run through the printer, as there are always glitches when feeding the paper through (doing front and back). I always wind up wasting paper and ink.

Don't print any of your good papers until you are sure your printer is set right. Just print out a sample on cheap copy paper until you get it right.

I usually do. I also set to print at lower quality until I know it's going to print in the right spots. Thanks for the tip! ;)

I spent the last couple days cutting all the paper (pages) for the book! Whew!

papercut.jpg

I ran into another problem. This one is major. My current printer will not print anything longer than 11 inches. I mean I can't feed longer paper into it. It won't take ledger height. It will just run through the printer and error out. I can't fool it or anything. It's not the greatest printer in the world.

Solutions are to paste color prints into the book, which I really think would be cheesy. I feel like I would not be able to charge what I'd like to if I did that. It reminds me too much of the cut & paste zines I used to make at Kinkos 20 years ago.

Another solution is to just get a new printer...the kind I've been wanting for many years to replace the good one I used to have where I made high quality Artist's book on. I'd be able to really justify the price of the book, but I'd be out a few hundred bucks. However, I'd be able to make nice books in the future. So I'm thinking about doing that.

Those wide format printer used to be thousands of dollars, but they are much more affordable now, so it's a good investment.

This book is breaking the bank! :rolleyes:

Been working on the first prototype cover today. Ran out of embroidery thread. Off to get more.

You're right.

The printer will be here Thursday. The ink cartridges alone are $50.

So, I'm working on the prototype cover and I think I'm going to leave my name off of it on the others. The title page and the colophon will have my name on it, so that will be fine. I like the cover better with just the title by itself. I'll pull the label down so it's more centered. I also think I might like the embroidery thinner than this. (This is double threaded.) Good thing I'm playing with this one so I can make these decisions.

workingonproto.jpg

sorry for inconvenience with the press.
new printer is an important expense but that would pay for itself over time, yes, true what you say, compared to the past prices have dropped, a good one in the past would have cost too much, too much.
now it is an expense, rightly you have to evaluate yourself but luckily it is eventually more sustainable.

I don't know if it can be an option, I think typogrefie may not be too convenient, for cost, I would not evaluate them,
I thought, however, that instead, I don't know if you can have some nearby photocopy shops, those close to schools or universities, that photocopy books, I think they have incredible printers and monitors, here are some of these, I think they can have good service and very good prices (and maybe they print what you ask or let them do, that is), I don't know if there are any reachable, maybe in case you could call to ask for the cost and if they do that.
In any case you are doing a beautiful job beautiful the prototype, I ratify what I wrote, I did not realize that you had decided for the printer, for me it is the best choice, you will do work with it
wonderful, yes, cartridges in recent years are the thing that has increased. of the last printer I had, printer and cartridge cost the same.

Thank you Iain.

Thanks Joe. I thought about taking it to a copy place, but the files would be too complex to print, I believe. Front and back, on different papers, all the files can potentially be wrong and I'd need to text them a few times on scrap to see if they are going to work, etc. It's better that I purchased a new printer. It will be here Thursday.

That's great news on the printer. I would love to home print. Your signature and the way it is embroidered looks great. I sometimes hate when "less is more."

great for the printer, the new printer in my opinion is the best solution and can be handy several times, plus Thursday is close. so it is also a quick fix

Yes, thank you both (Iain and Joe).

Iain, what do you mean you hate when less is more. Do you want to elaborate? Not to pressure you. Do you think the embroidered title should be double threaded? Your opinion matters to me. :)

I just had to redo a bunch of page templates because I miss-measured the width of the box by a smidgen. Like a 16th of an inch. The book (trimmed) would fit, but it would end up getting stuck in there and it wouldn't easily come out with one's hand/fingers. I've been leaving a large bleed on all the pages for trimming, but now they're been slightly too large. The images should be pulled into the gutter by an 1/8 on each end, so I've been changing it today. Thank goodness I haven't printed anything yet! :ROFLMAO: ...especially the big fold-out thing that has to fit within an 1/8th of one of the pages. The book is already so small, everything has to be pretty perfect and I'm not so good at math.

I'm not even going to finish embroidering the prototype because I had to trim it to 7.5 inches wide, which made the feet look like shit. The last foot on the right side is now too small. :( I'll save my embroidery time for the actual edition. Cutting the feet into all the covers today.

It ALMOST sounds like it would have been easier making the boxes...to fit the book. I am the same as you with maths. What I meant by Less is More, is i thought the choice of not having the signature on the cover a good one, despite it being fantastic! As for the title, I think I would prefer it double threaded. I just feel that chunky lettering would better suit the look better. Others might disagree...

Edit. I love the feet, as well as they recall other work, correspond with the concept, the book itself looks like it will at any moment run off!

I am inspired to make my own handmade version, some kind of cobbled together hybrid.

Last edited:
The printer is a good investment, especially in the long run. You don’t want to have to compromise your vision. Love the feet at the bottom of book.

Oh, I really hope I can inspire you, and anyone to make their own books, editions, thingies, or whatever.

Yes, I really should have found a box after the book, but because I have had such a hard time doing that in the past, I thought I'd do it the opposite this time. Seems it was just as difficult. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Maybe I will double thread the embroidery. I can also show you how it looks with it single threaded. I see that I haven't shown that. I forgot to take a picture of it.

Here's the single thread...Only the "O" is double threaded. I don't think it's that much of a difference and it's a lot easier to get a single thread through the the cardstock, but I'll get it through if it makes a difference. What do you think?

singlethread.jpg

All the feet are cut now:

feetcut.jpg

Back