Medicine Dan - Newest Artist's Book

Artyczar

I've been talking about my newest book on the What Are You Working On? thread, but I thought I'd move the progress to the Bookarts forum for yucks and show some sneak peeks. I've also been making blog posts about it on my site here at ayin.blog. Here's the latest copy from the colophon, which keeps changing because of different bumps in the road as the book comes together:

Medicine Dan is a story about a special animal who heals. He is a cartoon character invented by artist Ayin Es. This 60-page Artist’s book is made with Moab Legion Lasal Photo Matte 235gsm and Kayenta 205gsm paper using digital color printing and reproductions throughout with various original sketches and watercolor and ink illustrations. Signatures are wrapped in Thai Marbled Mulberry, Thai Mango, Thai Unryu Lokta, and Aitoh Japanese papers and feature rubber stamping. There are also two hand-stitched felt pages, an imported Khadi Indian paper pocket inserted with stickers of Dan, and a buttonhole binding with waxed linen threads. The 300gsm cardstock covers are embroidered and die-cut with a silhouette of Dan. This is one of an edition of eight, which were handbound, signed, and numbered by the artist in 2024.
And this is the lastest progress info from the blog:

There’s still lots and lots to do—I don’t even have enough work done to make two of the five signatures yet, but I’m getting close. I could essentially make the very first signature, but nothing gets sewn until the very end when I bind everything together. Also, the last signature has the colophon in it, and that keeps changing as I go along with the project.

Since I finished the layouts on the computer, I’ve been trying to get all the drawings and watercolors done, both the ones that will be printed and the original ones that go in the book. So, that requires printing some of the pages I’ll be painting on. I wish I could do the whole thing like an easy assembly line, but I can only do some of it like that, like these watercolors I did today. Doing eight in a row is kinda tedious.

assembly-800x531.jpg

Making one drawing or one painting that gets printed is a lot easier and, frankly more satisfying.

dan-with-celery-and-brownies72-783x800.jpg
parallel-universe72-591x800.jpg

I have yet to make fifteen more watercolor paintings in total and eight little “drawings.” The drawings are easy peasy. They’re just one-color colored pencil drawings of a helicopter. Then, I can start cutting paper and printing the rest of the sheets. The sheets are 7.5 x 12 inches (because the book size is 7.5 x 6 inches). Four pages to a sheet. Make sense?

I’m working on seven more of these pages now:

cheer-people-up72-638x800.jpg

Next, I may make a few little scribbles on some of the pages for more “originality,” and I’m rubberstamping the back sides of the imported paper. I made a custom stamp of Dan that looks like this:

rubber-dan.jpg

I have a few butterflies I’ll be using as well. Awww, how adorable.

After that, I gotta cut some thick handmade paper that I’m using to assemble little pouches. I’ll glue them to one of the pages. This pocket will hold three or four Dan stickers in each book. Stickers look like this:

danspeakinginstripes-800x523.jpg

Before I start scoring and folding book pages, I’ll be sewing three pieces of felt onto two different pages. One is a heart in two pieces. It will be stitched around the edges, and then mended in the middle. The other is in the shape of Dan (also stitched around his edge), who also needs two grommet holes poked through both the felt and the paper to make his eyes. I have a feeling my hand is going to hurt, grabbing the grommet tool as hard as I can sixteen times! Eeek.

If I think my hands will hurt grommeting, I don’t want to think about exacerbating my arthritis embroidering and binding the covers. The only thing I can say is that the fact that the look of the books will feel so rewarding, I won’t give two shits about the pain.

Both the embroidery and the binding thread are white. It will contrast the dark-ish blue cover. I think it will look pretty cool. I’m still debating on some type of presentation box. My brain is still working that out. I think it needs more of a slip-clover, but I wish it could be clear somehow. I want the cover of the book and the binding to be seen through it and not wasting away in a covered box. Isn’t that a song?

Wow, an energetic project, but you're pulling it off with style. It looks very professional. ❤️ ❤️

Holy crap! You are an amazing bookmaker. I LOVE DAN, and I'm sure he is pleased you are finally giving him the platform he deserves. ❤️

I agree with Sno: these beautiful papers, the tools, drawings and attention to details - it all looks very professional. Me, I just want to sit in a corner and watch.

Oh my goodness. What an undertaking, and what a vision. This one is especially special I can tell. Please get someone to help you with the grommets - or set it up so you can use leverage.

Ayin-
and not wasting away in a covered box. Isn’t that a song?
-----------
if it's not it should be.

Wow. I remember Dan. That is quite the undertaking and you still find time to respond to individual post on the site. Your energy invigorates my spirit and makes me want to dive into unknown territory. Your book will be exquisitely charming and up lifting.

Dan is back! :love: He always fulfills his purpose of cheering people up whenever he makes an appearance in this forum and I'm so glad he'll be featured in this book! I can't even imagine the amount of effort it takes for you to do this - and I'm so sorry to know you have to deal with arthritic hands. Easy does it. First the book and then the movie. Go Dan!

Thank you sno and Terri, Bongo, Wayne, and Donna!!!! Wow! What nice support. This book is a bit of an undertaking, but it really is nothing compared to many of my other books. For one thing, I didn't do any printmaking in this one. I have very few original paintings in it, and I'm only going to be spending a couple of months on it in total. Maybe when I get to the binding I'll be singing a different tune. I made it to go with my show next year. I figure I should get all the time-consuming stuff done first.

When I'm done with this, I have to somehow make a Dan costume! I'm doing my very first performance during the show. And I'm scared.

When I'm done with this, I have to somehow make a Dan costume! I'm doing my very first performance during the show. And I'm scared.

This is the first I've heard of you adding a performance during a show - definitely new ground for you! But you wouldn't be thinking of it if you didn't already know you can do it. ;) It's okay to be scared, trying something so different, but you'll do just fine, I'm sure of it.

Thanks for the words of support. I'll be playing drums for about 15 minutes (in the Dan costume). Then, I'll find a kid in the audience and hand them a card with a message in it. In and out. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the words of support. I'll be playing drums for about 15 minutes (in the Dan costume). Then, I'll find a kid in the audience and hand them a card with a message in it. In and out. :ROFLMAO:
and you say you're too shy to do Plein Air - pushah

Well, I'm used to performing with a band and being in the back. This is why I want to wear a costume. I won't have to say anything or be "seen." It will be like wearing a mask of sorts. ;)

And no one will be bothering me while I'm "performing."

When I'm done and out of my costume, if they have anything to say to me, I can say, "I don't know what you're talking about." :ROFLMAO:

So loving reading all the details of your newest book. Can't wait to see the stages of this- and the end result. I have confidence that it will be amazing as always!

Well, I'm used to performing with a band and being in the back. This is why I want to wear a costume. I won't have to say anything or be "seen." It will be like wearing a mask of sorts. ;)

And no one will be bothering me while I'm "performing."

When I'm done and out of my costume, if they have anything to say to me, I can say, "I don't know what you're talking about." :ROFLMAO:
Goofball. ❤️

Thank you all so much!!! Sno, you have more confidence in me than I do, for sure. You all do. Terri, you know me, perfectly. :ROFLMAO: 🦃❤️

Thank you Zen. Once upon a time, I was trying to make him something like that. I plastered stickers of him all over town. :ROFLMAO:

Back