New Artist's Book

Artyczar

I am working on a new Artist's book with a theme about getting lost while going for a hike/walk, but I don't have a title for it yet. I was wondering if I could get some ideas from you guys. I thought of a couple but they are too cliché for me, like Off the Beaten Path and Take a Hike.

There will be a bunch of prints, maps, and original art in the book itself and come in a box with a few items like a compass, a first aid kit, and a hand-carved bow drill kit for fire making. I'm making an edition of five of these.

Any thoughts?

Exciting! I love titles. How about,

Orientated towards lost.

I think it might sound like yours...

If ever I were to find myself lost in the Mojave, the thing I would most want in my kit would be a cyanide tablet, and that would be taken before nightfall of the first night! 😁 No kidding.

it is very good news.
I remember photos of the previous book, fantastic and full of surprises.
the premise of this is beautiful and is equally full of surprises.
I find it hard to think of names (I couldn't choose names by email or forum, and as a child the name for my dog I thought of, looking for one, was, dog.)
always, with the titles / names, I am the anti Iain,
i like the suggestions from Iain and snoball.
reading the post I had a name, get lost and then find myself again ..
"perdersi e poi ritrovarsi.."

"oppure : perdersi per poi ritrovarsi "
or: get lost and then find yourself again

it is very good news.
I remember photos of the previous book, fantastic and full of surprises.
the premise of this is beautiful and is equally full of surprises.
I find it hard to think of names (I couldn't choose names by email or forum, and as a child the name for my dog I thought of, looking for one, was, dog.)
always, with the titles / names, I am the anti Iain,
i like the suggestions from Iain and snoball.
reading the post I had a name, get lost and then find myself again ..
"perdersi e poi ritrovarsi.."

"oppure : perdersi per poi ritrovarsi "
or: get lost and then find yourself again
Thanks Joe. I like the get lost and then find yourself again idea. ♥️ I will think on that.

Great idea. For kids or adults? Sounds like gift preparations...

Thanks Sno. I got lost and didn't have a book to light my way.. I have been lurking and not posting. Anti social I guess. I di see your asking where I was and your gift portrait was lovely. 🤗

I always liked Lost in the Ozone Again, by Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, but I don't think it would work for this. Then there's Happy Trails--I don't know who wrote it; I'm speaking of the version by Quicksilver Messenger Service. Probably no good either. Maybe you could do a riff on Lost in Space but people below a certain age wouldn't know what it means.

Fun to think about anyway.

I second Wanderlost. It states the theme in one word, which is a nice play on Wanderlust.

I wander, lost in a tangle of thoughts and feelings, until the sun comes out and I find myself. .... to elaborate on my title suggestion.....

Well, I decided on a name (pretty much). It might seem simple, but it's going to be sewn into the cover and I kind of wanted one word like Wanderlost. Leaning into more of a walking trail kind of thing, I'm titling it Outlander. The story is not written yet, and it might not be a literal story, but the cover will have little black feet cut into it (like a diecut) and the other elements in the box are about IF you get lost on a walk or a hike into nowhere, here are some helpful items to get you through it. I tried using Wanderlost on the digital mockup and it didn't look quite right. What do you think?

bookcover.jpg

The light blue will be starched linen fabric. The black is thick linen cardstock. The title will be embroidered. The feet stick out from the whole book to the side.

I got the boxes and the book will be a lot smaller than I'd anticipated, like 4.5 inches high, so it's pretty tiny, but it will pack a big punch I think.

I only make one of these sort of editions once every couple/few years and they take a long time to make. I've never tried bushcraft before, so I'm a little nervous about making/carving the mini bow drills. I'm sure musket would see that as a quick and simple task. ;)

Back