Medicine Dan - Newest Artist's Book

Ayin, I used to have one of these, and it worked beautifully to make boxes with lids. I don't know if it would make a box large enough for your book but it was really handy.

Ayin, I used to have one of these, and it worked beautifully to make boxes with lids. I don't know if it would make a box large enough for your book but it was really handy.
Thanks sno. That would work great for some of my other projects. Thank you! Even the box that it comes in! :ROFLMAO: I've made a whole book with a slipcover out of cereal boxes before.

I've decided to have clear, plexiglass boxes made for these. They are too shallow for boxes with lids for plexi, so they will have lids on hinges like this:

box-sample.jpg

I did these sewn felt pages yesterday. Seven more to go.

sewndan.jpg

sewnheart.jpg

BUT, before I continue, I have to take a "break" and finish a large ink drawing I started. It's because I'm driving out to LA next month and will have to drop it at the framer there. It needs to be done by then, and I don't want to take any chances.

Now that I'm finished with that Runaway Cakes drawing, I'm back to trying to finish this book. I thought I'd give you all some more little sneak peeks at a couple more pages:

dan-1.jpg
dan-2.jpg
dan-3.jpg

dan-4.jpg
dan-5.jpg

This last one is of the "dummy" book to show what the buttonhole binding looks like. This was done with simple typing paper, but the point of this binding is to show the decorative paper that covers all the signatures.

dan-last.jpg

A beautiful and fascinating book, Ayin. It should be a great success, you've done a wonderful job on it. ❤️ ❤️

I remember you saying other artists were passing you back because of output but your intensity to detail equals output and your output is out standing. 👍

Wayne, that is so nice of you to point out. I really never thought of that. I always think in terms of "how many paintings."

Here are the latest pics of my progress. I ran into some issues (again) with the die I ordered. It was a piece of crap. Serves me right for ordering one from China. Still, I paid a lot for it. I wound up having Hannah HAND-cut each one with an Xacto. I wasn't able to do them myself because I don't have the hand strength nor a steady hand.

But all the signatures are now chopped, the pages are complete, and I'm now embroidering the titles into the covers. I'm almost half done with those now. Binding is just around the corner.

bookschopped72.jpg

copterpage72.jpg

embroider-die-covers72.jpg

Terrific progress! It's really pulling together now. You must be pumped seeing the final steps in sight. ❤️

Sorry you had to spend money on something that failed. Wasted time and effort, too - grrr. But Hannah did great - the pieces look perfect.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Back