New Artist's Book

I ended up making this new template since the first one was folded and gave me issues. Then, today I traced the first real one that I'll color in later. It's all just the first step. Once I'm done tracing all the backsides on the same pieces of paper, I'll add all the color pencil--sparingly!

map1.jpg

What do you guys think? It's supposed to look "Hand-made," not printed professionally or anything. Anyway, I think I'll like it a lot more when it has a bit of color. The first one also has some slightly different roads I had to add in. I should have take a pic of that one, but I wasn't using my brain.

i really like the maps we can see in the movies, like this one are great works of art, great work, beautiful and exciting map

Thank you sno and Joe. I think I can casually do 1.5 of these a day when working. But that's just one side. I don't know how long it would take me to color them, but there won't be too much coloring on this side. It's the backside that is going to be a pain. I'll take a picture of a more rendered one tomorrow, though you probably won't really be able to tell the difference.

After hours of work, I was able to finish one whole map. I think I'm happy with it. Here is a pretty good image of the front and back. The map side is really the one that will be showing on the fold out. Only 3 quarters of the front will show due to 1/4 of the sheet being glued to the page. That's why there's not much art on the lower left.

The sheet is 13 x 15 inches.

mapback72.jpg

mapfront72.jpg

After hours of work, I was able to finish one whole map. I think I'm happy with it. Here is a pretty good image of the front and back. The map side is really the one that will be showing on the fold out. Only 3 quarters of the front will show due to 1/4 of the sheet being glued to the page. That's why there's not much art on the lower left.

The sheet is 13 x 15 inches.

View attachment 9944

View attachment 9945
Your writing is beautiful! Exquisite!

That is an incredible amount of work! I applaud your patience Arty! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ This is an amazing project. Don't you think you should do about 100 of them? 😁:ROFLMAO:

Thank you both, Jocelyne and sno! A hundred? Are you trying to give me a heart attack? I have been having so much stress just thinking about doing four more. Sill me still thinks it could have been better. Ha. If I was more patient maybe.

Still working on those maps. They will take some time! I also ran out of colored pencils, so I was waiting for more to arrive (they have). I'd run out of that light blue. In the mean time, I made this page:

centerfold72.jpg

On a side note, I spent another day updating some things on my website and rewrote my Artist's Statement.

It is a shame, in a sense, that the maps will be attached to the book. They should be framed.

I guess you updated your statement to include cartographer...😁

Edit. The rewrite is spot on. It is engaging.

Last edited:
Thanks Iain. Artists' books don't really have those elements, traditionally. They are supposed to be one work in and of themselves and not to be broken up. Though, I once did a book (with another press--not my own) that made a separate deluxe edition in addition to the 30 we made that included extra prints in a little portfolio that could be framed. People liked those. However, they weren't sold by "Artist's book" dealers to many special collections that typically collect bookarts.

That being said, it makes me see that there might be more new rules to break in the genre.

Vamp & Tramp have been my dealer in the past and have a lot to look at on their site to get a good idea of how far into the realm the genre goes. They don't have any of my books at the moment because I hadn't been making any for a while and they'd shopped and sold the ones they had. I'll hit them up with my new name and press when I'm done with this one and see if they'll represent it.

As far as my new statement, thank you! Those are hard to write! I am always messing with it and simplifying it as best I can. One day it will be one or two sentences.

I was really expressing my admiration for your drawn map. I enjoyed reading the place names. I would have enjoyed inventing those as one does with titles.

When I was sn apprentice in the building industry, we would ride shotgun and navigate using road maps. I fucking hated it as I had no aptitude for map reading. De jesus, It took years to learn left from right. No kidding. You have to laugh.

My statement is one senfence because (don't tell anybody) I can't be arsed. 😙

"I just make it up as I go along."

I like your statement more than mine! It's more intelligent.

Thank you for your very kind words on my maps making. I do appreciate it. ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Back