inktober 2024 - Post your work here!

Anne, Jo - How very cleverly you both interpreted the prompts! I will be late doing mine and certainly do not expect to do one each day. I am not on Instagram either, so the theme of travel was something that I just surmised on my own. Really you can interpret any way you want and I enjoy seeing such diverse thought processes, as I tend to think so literally. Since I don't do much inking, I may just do small pieces instead of trying to over elaborate.

The work in our home went on longer than I thought, so there is some clean up with that. And yesterday they started doing some tree trimming and yard work (mulch) and kept asking us what we wanted, so I was getting constantly interrupted. It was something we thought we would be done months ago, but they are just getting to it. These projects we started discussing the early part of the year, and now they are all happening at once! Since most businesses cannot get help and are not taking on any new customers, we are grateful that such great family owned businesses are still doing quality work.

Anne - I love the starfish! Lovely hatching.

Jo - the mantis made me smile. I love the shadow.

My "discovery" is a feather I found a while ago that I've kept on a window sill. Printer paper and a Bic ballpoint, again.

20241002_215333.jpg

Kay, that is awesome! Perfectly and delicately rendered. Thanks for the photo comparison.

Joy, size is not important. The praying mantis is about 3 x 5 inches. Just have fun sketching.

Kay D, the feather feels lightweight. Lovely.

Anne - You posted these beauties just as I was finishing mine. I just knew you would be the star of this challenge; it was "specially designed" for your inking talents! The laces are exceptionally well done. Both are wonderful!

Below is my first foray into colored inks, so that and the new tube of paint are "discoveries". They are done entirely with Bic pens, pictured. I remember using them as a kid with the different colored inks, and am surprised that they are in popular use. Obviously, I need more practice, and it actually looks better in person as it is more compact than the photo, so it looks more natural. I bought the cheap set of pens (less than $8 USD) on Amazon when I saw a YouTube video by Emily Olson here. She referenced the astounding ink art of Nicholas Sanchez here. It totally blew me away!

PaimtTube.jpeg

IMG_2158.jpeg

IMG_2161.jpeg

Anne, awwww, your boot is soooo cute. I love it in b & w and in color. You have such a lovely descriptive touch.
Exotic is just gorgeous and delicate looking.

ink3boots.jpg

Day 3 boots - In the Canson Mix Media sketchbook about 6 x 6 inches with Micron 03. I sketch freehand and this was quick as I forgot to do a sketch today and now it is late. We were watching TV and it was a little dark. Pretty sure the design is not very accurate on the tops.

Great work everyone! I've always loved Inktober, but may not get time to post any this year, BUT I'm very much enjoying seeing what you've all sketched. Wonderful!

Joy, thanks for your comments. Your ball point ink drawing came out great. What an interesting (and portable!) medium. I looked at Emily Olson's work and it was quite amazing.

Jo, love your boots. Glad you enjoyed mine. I couldn't resist the kitten.

Jo, wonderful. Love how you captured the texture of the knot-work (or whatever it is) ;).

Here are my binoculars. Nothing very creative this time but fun to draw.

About 4"x4", ink and Inktense pencils in XL Mixed Media sketchbook.

20241005Sk8 Binoculars (5-Binoculars).png

Jo, how very clever! That intricate work must have taken a while. I am attempting more colored pen work, but it is time consuming and labor intensive; my patience is wearing thin!

Anne, excellent. Good proportions.

Well, I'm totally disgusted (nothing new!), but this colored ink is so time intensive and I am producing an awful result. It just looks so scratchy and unnatural. It would have been so much easier and quicker with watercolor. I did some hatching and lines, and basically scribbled like a kid to get coverage. Colors did not layer and blend like the demos I have seen on YT. Any tips would be helpful. It seems as if one must spend a half hour to get an inch of solid color and it is hardly worth the time. The paper has only a whisper of tooth. Anyhoo, this is an "exotic" mango, for the 4th.

Mango.jpeg

My Inktober colored drawings look fine when viewed several feet away. But, up close, many flaws are noted - much like me!;)

Joy, how frustrating an exercise that sounded! It doesn’t look as bad as it felt for you drawing it!
I think a lot of artwork doesn’t look as good up close. No it doesn’t look as good as polished as your other work, but I can see what you are trying to do. The colours coming up through the built up shadow is particularly nice.

My Inktober colored drawings look fine when viewed several feet away. But, up close, many flaws are noted - much like me!;)
Joy - well done for trying this. I can see how frustrated you are with it but full marks for doing it and its not as bad as you think. Like Christine, I can see what you were trying to achieve with it. Maybe just continue filling in the color? Is this done with the colored Bic pens you wrote about? I clicked on your link to them and found it fascinating. I thought I might try them, but they do seem very time consuming?

Back