Echo of a Concrete Sculpture: Painting with Copper Stitches

Hermes2020

This is the painting I was referring to in my response to Donna T's post Scribble, Spray, Scratch and repeat:

This is painted on reinforced primed hardboard in Winsor & Newton Griffin alkyd paints. Size: 1220 x 800 mm. There is some 3mm copper tubing used as stitching to link certain elements. The shapes are profiles I borrowed from my Reclining Nude Concrete Sculpture.

This painting will hang in the living room that overlooks the pool and concrete sculpture, so there will be some resonance between the sculpture and this painting.

Painting with Copper Stitches.jpg

It is quite a big painting, so here are some details to show the textures.

Painting with Copper Stitches Detail 1.jpg

Painting with Copper Stitches Detail 2.jpg

Painting with Copper Stitches Detail 3.jpg

Painting with Copper Stitches Detail 4.jpg

Painting with Copper Stitches Detail 5.jpg

Painting with Copper Stitches Detail 6.jpg

Attachments

• Painting with Copper Stitches.jpg
    Painting with Copper Stitches.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 56
This is so cool! I see the neck of a guitar, with the strings - the whole thing makes me think of music and a guitar. Superb! ❤️

This is so cool! I see the neck of a guitar, with the strings - the whole thing makes me think of music and a guitar. Superb! ❤️
Thank you. It's interesting that it gives you a feeling of music. Those shapes are actually profiles of parts of the body of the concrete nude man.

Absolutely stunning piece! The textural areas add so much interest and depth and the copper tubing adds color as well as a 3-D surprise. I see a sort of skeletal structure with the way the tubing connects the "body" shapes and I see the guitar reference too. I'll bet it looks amazing with your concrete sculpture just outside the window!

Absolutely stunning piece! The textural areas add so much interest and depth and the copper tubing adds color as well as a 3-D surprise. I see a sort of skeletal structure with the way the tubing connects the "body" shapes and I see the guitar reference too. I'll bet it looks amazing with your concrete sculpture just outside the window!
Thank you, Donna. It will only be installed at the house with the pool next weekend, but I am pretty sure it will work there.

Bravo Hermes! You have such a great eye for abstraction. Great composition and elements here. So intriguing and beautiful! ♥️

Technical question (sheer curiosity on my part 😊) : are the copper pieces coated with something, or will they oxidize naturally?

--Rich

Technical question (sheer curiosity on my part 😊) : are the copper pieces coated with something, or will they oxidize naturally?

--Rich
Ha, I like technical questions :). I haven't quite decided what to do yet. At the moment they are uncoated and I didn't polish them before adding them to the painting. That was their state of shininess on the roll I cut the lengths from, so the copper will darken naturally over time. I think I will wait and see how they look after a few months on site. Since I will always have access to the painting, I could polish and varnish them any time later. I'm guessing I will not do that and will end up just leaving them to do what they want to do. A dynamic situation will be an added dimension.

I really like the shapes, color harmony, and the genius idea of the copper stitching to tie it together. Creativity is really your strongpoint, and I have great admiration for original ideas. Since I overwork everything, Making a decision on when something is finished is challenging. Any more or less paint/shapes on this beauty are not needed.

Ha, I like technical questions :). I haven't quite decided what to do yet. At the moment they are uncoated and I didn't polish them before adding them to the painting. That was their state of shininess on the roll I cut the lengths from, so the copper will darken naturally over time. I think I will wait and see how they look after a few months on site. Since I will always have access to the painting, I could polish and varnish them any time later. I'm guessing I will not do that and will end up just leaving them to do what they want to do. A dynamic situation will be an added dimension.
OK, thanks!

--Rich

... Since I overwork everything, Making a decision on when something is finished is challenging. Any more or less paint/shapes on this beauty are not needed.
Michaelangelo, looking at the finished Sistine Chapel: "Hmmm... Maybe if I make Ezekiel's robes a little darker..." 😂

--Rich

Reactions: Joy
Back