Trying new OP's with a copy of vG Sunflowers

Terri

Supporting Member
We had an interesting discussion in this thread about van Gogh. It reminded me of one of the things I used to do quite a bit, those first few years I was learning how to handle oil pastels, which was to "copy the masters." (Does anyone else do this? I find it relaxing as well as educational to follow along a painting by a master, and I always learn something.) I'm a big van Gogh fan so I really enjoyed using these paintings for the practice. It spared me having to compose anything; all I had to do was try to figure out a palette, blending, etc. (No painting experience at all when I took up oil pastels, but that's another story.)

So, when my husband gifted me a new set of van Gogh oil pastels, I thought I’d be cute and make my first painting with these new OP's a van Gogh copy. I picked one from his Sunflower painting series, the one with the blue background (as opposed to another famous one with a yellow background). I used 12×16″ Arches oil paper.

Sunflowers, 1 van Gogh.jpg

The set has a nice range of yellows and a few good ochres. Although I wanted to paint with nothing but the van Goghs, I did grab my Neopastel olives and a couple of Mungyo ochres. The vase highlight is Sennelier white.

The van Gogh op’s blended great with the Neopastels and Mungyos, and I ended up with great texture without a lot of effort. A couple closeups:

Sunflowers, vG copy closeup 3.jpg

Sunflowers, vG copy closeup 1.jpg

In van Gogh’s painting, this lettered area is where he painted his signature: just “Vincent.” I didn’t want to ignore the lettering because I liked how it looked, but it seemed wrong to paint his signature (or worse, put mine there).

So, given that Dutch was his native tongue, I looked up “I love you” in Dutch. That is “Ik hou van jou.” I used colored pencil and kinda dug it in there. ❤️

Thanks for looking!

This is very interesting, Terri. I am a Vincent fan, too. I really like your sunflowers. I find oil pastels difficult and end up with muddy colours. You, obviously, don’t have that problem.

It turned out beautiful. Thank you for posting the closeups. Love seeing the textures you were able to create.

This is spectacular, Terri! I am blown away by how beautiful this is - and how closely it resembles Vincent's. Thanks for the close-ups. The texture is amazing! The lettering on the vase is the perfect tribute to this beloved artist.

That is one good copy. I never knew pastels could give such texture. Great job Terri.

What a beautiful piece.

Vincent was genius. he is a source of a view that is one of a kind, no one before him and after him is usless if trying to be a source. same as Cezanne become crazy with geometric shapes viewing.

Well done. I also didn't know you get this type of result with oil pastels.

This is very interesting, Terri. I am a Vincent fan, too. I really like your sunflowers. I find oil pastels difficult and end up with muddy colours. You, obviously, don’t have that problem.
Thanks so much, Penny! I'm more comfortable with oil pastels than I used to be, that's for sure. They do take some getting used to, and there are wide differences between manufacturers as far as palettes and quality.

Thanks again. ❤

This is spectacular, Terri! I am blown away by how beautiful this is - and how closely it resembles Vincent's. Thanks for the close-ups. The texture is amazing! The lettering on the vase is the perfect tribute to this beloved artist.
Donna, thank you. ❤ The beauty comes from Vincent, of course. He's one artist who can easily make me cry! I thought about that little signature while I was working, and came up with something I thought worked. I'm so glad you like it, too.

Exceptional! You've done a beautiful job with the OPs, I could never learn to get along with them. ❤️❤️

That is one good copy. I never knew pastels could give such texture. Great job Terri.
Thank you, Wayne! To be clear, these are oil pastels, and you can build them up pretty thickly. I have a knife too, but can usually get texture with clay shapers. :)

What a beautiful piece.

Vincent was genius. he is a source of a view that is one of a kind, no one before him and after him is usless if trying to be a source. same as Cezanne become crazy with geometric shapes viewing.
Thank you, Lazarus. ❤ I agree with you completely. I never get tired of looking at his work!

Well done. I also didn't know you get this type of result with oil pastels.
Thank you, Anne. I used 3 different kinds in this painting. Fortunately, the van Goghs played nicely with my Neopastels and Mungyos. It makes it easier to build up layers. :)

Exceptional! You've done a beautiful job with the OPs, I could never learn to get along with them. ❤️❤️
Thank you, Sno! I went through a lot of trial and error, learning OPs. Different brands, papers, trying to find what works best for me. I'm so glad you like it! ❤

This is gorgeous! I love all those lovely clean yellows and the textures are wonderful.

Truly wonderful Terri !
Vincent, I revere his works. This is a marvelous homage to him,thank you.

You and Nufocus have inspired me to make another try at OP's.
Will water soluble OP's from Mungyo, Caran D 'Arche and Portfolio, which I have, do the job as well as the regular OPs that you apparently use ?
Thanks for any advice.

Back