Trying new OP's with a copy of vG Sunflowers

Thank you for the kind words, Trier! ❤

Those are all good brands, and certainly worth a try! Now, I don't work with water soluble OPs, although I do have a set and have given them a play. I haven't done any deep dives on this, but I can only speculate that the oil content would be lower, so they will act differently.

In your capable hands, you could make them work. ;) Maybe use what you have and try adding regular OPs to the mix. Once you have blended regular ones, you'll be able to make your own comparisons. Either a few Neopastels, which are available in open stock, or a small set of the Mungyo Gallery Soft Artist brand (and pay close attention to the label with Mungyos since the student grade is named in a similar way).

I hope you try them! :)

Thank you for the kind words, Trier! ❤

Those are all good brands, and certainly worth a try! Now, I don't work with water soluble OPs, although I do have a set and have given them a play. I haven't done any deep dives on this, but I can only speculate that the oil content would be lower, so they will act differently.

In your capable hands, you could make them work. ;) Maybe use what you have and try adding regular OPs to the mix. Once you have blended regular ones, you'll be able to make your own comparisons. Either a few Neopastels, which are available in open stock, or a small set of the Mungyo Gallery Soft Artist brand (and pay close attention to the label with Mungyos since the student grade is named in a similar way).

I hope you try them! :)
Thank you very much Terri - that is a big help and will guide me in sorting this out; maybe this afternoon I can start the trials, I hope !

Good Stuff, Terri!

Hey, I think I got it backwards in a recent discussion of Royal Talens OPs: the Van Gogh are their better oil pastels and the Panda are the student-grade. I must like the Van Goghs - I used them all up :)

Good Stuff, Terri!

Hey, I think I got it backwards in a recent discussion of Royal Talens OPs: the Van Gogh are their better oil pastels and the Panda are the student-grade. I must like the Van Goghs - I used them all up :)
Thank you, Lamar! Oh, I'm glad you cleared that up. I looked online to see about getting the Royal Talens and it's not possible with that one brand, only the vG's on my side of the pond. :) Now I don't have to feel like I'm missing out on anything. Go, me. :ROFLMAO:

OMG! This is so excellent, I don't even know what to say. I love all the texture and markings in this. He is one of my biggest influences of all time and the only artist I have seen IRL that has made me literally cry my eyes out. This piece of yours HITS my heart! ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Thank you, Arty! ❤ I'm so happy you like it!

I love doing van Gogh copies, because of the relaxing nature of it. Plus just going wild with textures. And getting very intimate with a van Gogh painting is just a beautiful thing. ❤ I love his work so much!

I have a few more, some older ones. ;) Maybe I'll hunt them up.

So glad you posted the texture close-ups, Terri - really wonderful to see how much depth you're getting from the oil pastels! Beautiful work on the study. I had a spell of doing a lot of studies with oil pastel - it was really useful for figuring out what colours I actually had, and what I could get from them (unfortunately, I seem to have now forgotten most of what I learnt!).

So glad you posted the texture close-ups, Terri - really wonderful to see how much depth you're getting from the oil pastels! Beautiful work on the study. I had a spell of doing a lot of studies with oil pastel - it was really useful for figuring out what colours I actually had, and what I could get from them (unfortunately, I seem to have now forgotten most of what I learnt!).
Thank you, triss. ❤ Yes, what you said about figuring out colors, etc , is exactly right. I missed the mark on palettes a lot when I first started. As a photographer first and foremost, I couldn't have sketched if you'd paid me! A whole new world. :)

Who doesnt? (y)
Oh, yeah? ;) Well I threw down Sunflowers and will raise you with.....whatever you've got. 🤣

Open a thread and show us! I think this stuff is fun. Curious to see if you used OPs or oil sticks.

This is an excellent copy! I love it. Great colors and texture. And I love that you put the message in place of a signature. Good choice!

I have never been comfortable with OPs but seeing what you can do with them is making me think again!
Love the textures you have here, and the colours are so clean ... lovely work Terri .... it's quite inspiring!

Thanks so much, Maureen! ❤ They are quite versatile, but definitely come with their own unique learning curve. :)

Back