Trying new OP's with a copy of vG Sunflowers

I like very much what you have done on this painting. The texture is incredible and the idea to write a message instead of signature suits very well here.

You mentioned that you have used a lot o Van Gogh oil pastels. How do you find them in comparison with Mungyo, Neopastels or Senellier?

Thank you, ommc! :)

I used the vG's here for much of this painting, but not entirely. This particular painting has a lot of yellows and ochres, and the vG set has a pretty good range there, so it worked, but I did have to reach for Neopastel and Mungyo for more greens. Since then, I've continued to grab a few favorite colors from the set and incorporate them into other paintings.

How do you find them in comparison with Mungyo, Neopastels or Senellier?
My first impression was that they handled a lot like my Mungyos (the Gallery Artist Soft) - at least on Arches Oil paper, which is my usual paper. They do crumble a bit more, but are still soft enough to be scooped up easily and mashed into the paper, so they build up layers quickly.

My main nitpick is that, seeing the full set of 60, there is a lack of range in both greens (need olives!) and grays. I’m used to having a basic olive green, plus a light olive, yellow olive, olive brown, etc. Both my Mungyo and Neopastel sets have this range, so I suppose I took it for granted. Same thing with grays – Mungyo in particular is hard to beat in grays IMO. Neopastels are hard to beat for neutrals, and they match closely with Mungyos.

Senneliers are the creamiest of all, and I generally don't paint exclusively with them. I don't know if they just don't like the Arches oil paper I use, but they seem to work best for me as a top layer, because they easily glide over the other brands, especially the Mungyos which are the hardest of this group. :)

Oh Terri, thank you very much for the detailed answer.

As I understand from you, these oil pastels are good enough to be used as first layer and then to continue with Mungyo Gallery Artist Soft, Neopastels and Sennelier. From Neopastels and Sennelier, I bought a fair amount of them, especially what I use in my work. From Mungyo, I own the set with 48 sticks but some of them are already gone and I wish I find some replacements. Now I oscillate to buy between Mungyo and Van Gogh. Based on what you explained me and what I see in your beautiful painting, I think I will give VG a try and by a set of 60 pieces (it is not expensive at all here).

My biggest complaint with the Mungyos is that they aren't sold in open stock. 😕 Since they are not as lightfast as Neopastels and Sennelier, I like using them for a base layer. I can easily add a couple more layers if needed before moving on to Neopastels or Senns, both of which are available in open stock.

Have fun with those van Goghs! Be sure to post your paintings for us! :)

Back