Discussion: All Media Events

Suggestions, and what I would prefer to do...

In the All Media Event Forum:

1. Maybe we can get the Instructions thread streamlined and edited to be a little clearer (I can edit it once I actually understand what the instructions are). That post can be a permanent sticky.

2. Keep the About post a permanent sticky. (We can always keep editing that one until we are all happy with it.)

3. Keep the History post a permanent sticky (and also keep editing that one until we are all happy with it).

4. Make a Host Sign-up post and make that a sticky too. Maybe it's permanent? Maybe it depends on the date. Not sure yet.

5. The latest "prompt" with the date: that would always be a temporary sticky. Maybe call it, This Week's WAE: (name of prompt). The first post in that thread would be about the prompt from the host.

Am I starting to get how this can work?

Suggestions, and what I would prefer to do...

In the All Media Event Forum:

1. Maybe we can get the Instructions thread streamlined and edited to be a little clearer (I can edit it once I actually understand what the instructions are). That post can be a permanent sticky.

2. Keep the About post a permanent sticky. (We can always keep editing that one until we are all happy with it.)

3. Keep the History post a permanent sticky (and also keep editing that one until we are all happy with it).

4. Make a Host Sign-up post and make that a sticky too. Maybe it's permanent? Maybe it depends on the date. Not sure yet.

5. The latest "prompt" with the date: that would always be a temporary sticky. Maybe call it, This Week's WAE: (name of prompt). The first post in that thread would be about the prompt from the host.

Am I starting to get how this can work?
That sounds exactly right. I agree completely.

Thanks for being willing to help with the instructions. I have been doing this so long that I don't always realize that I am making some assumptions that everyone might not understand.

I've think part of the source of confusion is that there are two sets of instructions, one for hosts of the Weekly Art Event (that's what is in the "Instructions" thread in the All Media Events Forum) and instructions for a participant in the Weekly Art Event. Hopefully, anyone who decides to host would have participated at least once and understand how it works.

Participant instructions will be at the beginning of each Weekly Art Event thread. Let's focus there first and make sure they are clear.

Sample Weekly Post starting with Participant Instructions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thread Title: Weekly Art Event (Nov 5, 2021 - Nov 11, 2021)

First Post in Thread:

The prompt for this week is

School

Create some art that is suggested to you by this week's prompt. All media and styles are welcome (drawing, painting, digital, photography, sculpture, multi-media, representational, abstract, etc.). It can be a rough sketch, a finished work of art, or anything in between. It can be created from your imagination, life or a photo reference (if you use an image from the Internet, be sure it is not copyrighted.)

Post your art in this thread.

Post any time during the week (or later if you don't get it finished on time!) Along with the art you have posted, you can tell us a little about it. For example, you could include the medium you used, where you got your inspiration or how long it took. You can post as many times as you would like, it's entirely up to you. When you post, also like or comment on posts made earlier in the thread by other artists. We all like acknowledgement of our work!

Part of the confusion may be that it is also being changed a little from the original format, which was just the host posting a bunch of images with maybe an optional prompt challenge, and each response had its own thread, Now , if I'm not mistaken, the host will have different options, and the responses will be in one thread.
Bottom line is that the social aspect is important. It's an art party, and as long as it's clear and people feel comfortable joining in, it'll be good. You might produce a dud one week, post it anyway "in the spirit of".

Okay, I'm about to unlock this thread, and everyone has a right to put in their two cents. That's healthy enough...

But like me or not, I have to keep some clarity on some of these things in the other top threads in the All Media Events forum. I'll be making some decisions, and changes to make this work as I see fit for the purpose of clarity and inclusivity for people who have never participated in the WetCanvas project in the past. They may not know about all this lingo, the abbreviations, how it works, what changes may come, or anything.

Being someone who has never done these challenges, but who is very interested, I want to make it so that even a dummy (like me) can understand it and jump on in and have fun.

I am moving this thread into the All Media Events forum, but it will not be a sticky. Good news is that the stickys got a new plug-in where the Mods are now able to order them according to importance now. :) (Or what we'd like to keep on top/changing stickys can stay last in line,) etc.

Thanks for everyone's patience. Sorry I was unavailable yesterday.

question... if someone is late with their artwork, do they post in the thread for the week they made the artwork for, or in the thread for the new week? seems there was mention of closing the thread for the previous week after that week was done. just asking for clarity. :)

question... if someone is late with their artwork, do they post in the thread for the week they made the artwork for, or in the thread for the new week? seems there was mention of closing the thread for the previous week after that week was done. just asking for clarity. :)
Good question.

Post to the thread for the week they made the artwork for so it pairs up with the correct prompt. We won't close the thread, just unsticky it.

Does the prompt need to be just a single word, or can it be a phrase?
I don't have an idea for my hosting week yet, just wondering what the options are :)

No images for this event. I want to encourage people to use their imagination when they see the prompt. Many words or phrases can be looked at in multiple ways and once you provide an image, people will tend to just go with that way of looking at the phrase. I'm thinking something similar to Inktober or the scavenger hunts on WC.

Have questions about our new All Media Weekly Events? We are getting things worked out. Bear with us!

Ask your questions here.

EDIT: This was supposed to be the top post, but it didn't work out that way. I merged these posts that were in the Instructions thread to here, as I wanted the Instructions thread to be by itself and locked. Sorry for the confusion, but this is the thread to ask questions. I've been super swamped and it's been taking me a while to get all this organized, so I really apologize for the confusion in getting this project started! Please forgive me!

Thank you Anne and Maureen for your patience.

Last edited:
Artyczar, I think I get what you're saying. Back at my active time on Wetcanvas I never participated in the Weekly Drawing Event because whenever I ventured into that corner of the forums, the I felt completely overwhelmed because of the sheer amount of threads and the time it took me to identify what this weeks inspiration pics actually were and how to keep track.

A foolproof approach of pinned posts along the lines of "(future) hosts, look here" and "First time participants (non-hosts), read me" in addition to another pinned and clearly titled posts with this weeks challenge would help someone like me.
How to handle the thread chaos that must by all means ensue - If it doesn't it means no one participated - I admit I have no idea.

Back