Discussion: All Media Events

WDE= Weekend Drawing Event
Sounds like fun, Anne!
It could use a new name, as it's not limited to drawing.
I was thinking of "Weekly Art Event" since it is very broad. Here's part of the description:

All media and styles are welcome (drawing, painting, digital, photography, sculpture, multi-media, representational, abstract, etc.). It can be a rough sketch, a finished work of art, or anything in between. It can be created from your imagination, life or a photo reference (if you use an image from the Internet, be sure it is not copyrighted.)

I have updated the description for the All Media Events Forum, plus, I made a sticky post in that forum that I can edit anytime. The description reads as follows:

These are planned weekly drawing events, but all media and styles are welcome (drawing, painting, digital, photography, sculpture, multi-media, representational, abstract, etc.). Rough sketches, finished works of art, or anything in between. It can be created from your imagination, works from life, or from a photo reference (but if you use an image from the Internet, be sure it is not copyrighted).

It would be nice if someone who knows a lot more than I do about this process (because I sure don't) can make another post called The History of All Media Events and write a short summary of how it all came to be from Wet Canvas to Creative Spark, etc. I can make that a sticky too. This is for anyone who is not familiar with it or from WC.

Any suggestions for me to edit the initial sticky I just made--like more about how the process works--please let me know so I can write an extra sentence about it if needed.

And let me know your thoughts, of course. :)

It would be nice if someone who knows a lot more than I do about this process (because I sure don't) can make another post called The History of All Media Events and write a short summary of how it all came to be from Wet Canvas to Creative Spark, etc. I can make that a sticky too. This is for anyone who is not familiar with it or from WC.

Any suggestions for me to edit the initial sticky I just made--like more about how the process works--please let me know so I can write an extra sentence about it if needed.

Would you like me yo do that for you Arty! I’m one of those responsible for running it for the past 18 years.
ams, Anne, should be able to say this version is likely to run.

I have updated the description for the All Media Events Forum, plus, I made a sticky post in that forum that I can edit anytime. The description reads as follows:

These are planned weekly drawing events, but all media and styles are welcome (drawing, painting, digital, photography, sculpture, multi-media, representational, abstract, etc.). Rough sketches, finished works of art, or anything in between. It can be created from your imagination, works from life, or from a photo reference (but if you use an image from the Internet, be sure it is not copyrighted).

My only thought is whether you want to limit the All Media Events Forum to the weekly event or do you want to encourage other members of CS to propose other all media challenges if they would like. I can include the specific instructions for the weekly event in the sticky at the top when I post the prompts for the quarter. Other people might occasionally enjoy creating different events or challenges that are not media or subject specific and this might be a good place to put them.

These are the complete instructions that I had planned to put in each quarterly prompt thread:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WEEKLY ART EVENTS (WAE) Date Range would go here

The purpose of this weekly event is to encourage you to create art on a regular basis.

Listed below are words or phrases for each week to stimulate your creative juices and inspire you. All media and styles are welcome (drawing, painting, digital, photography, sculpture, multi-media, representational, abstract, etc.). It can be a rough sketch, a finished work of art, or anything in between. It can be created from your imagination, life or a photo reference (if you use an image from the Internet, be sure it is not copyrighted.)

Each week's event will have its' own thread. You can begin posting for an event on or after the event date. If you are ready to post and a thread for the week hasn't been started yet, start one in the All Media Events Forum by putting WAE, the week date and the prompt for the week.

For example, the Thread Title for the November 7 Weekly Art Event thread would be: WAE Nov. 7, 2021, School

Post any time during the week (or later if you don't get it finished on time!) Along with the art you have posted, you can tell us a little about it. For example, you could include the medium you used, where you got your inspiration or how long it took. You can post as many times as you would like, it's entirely up to you. When you post, also like or comment on posts made earlier in the thread by other artists. We all like acknowledgement of our work!

You don't have to participate every week. Jump in when the spirit moves you and the prompt sparks your creativity! The most important thing is to have fun.

Prompts will be posted every three months.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am about to get ready to set up for my open studios event, but I am very much wanting to get this set up soon. I am invested! :)

What I'm trying to do is get this to an understandable level for NEW people to understand what it is and how it works because all the old WC member "get it" but I myself am trying to understand how it works.

Therefore, I would love for it all to be worded in a comprehensible way so people will easily participate, if that is okay and makes sense.

I'm trying to get what the differences are in all the abbreviations, or the different challenges and events, different ways it is being addressed, etc. I feel like each "thing," whatever it may be, can be it's own thread in that forum (All Media Event). We can get a couple of stickys at the top, maybe 3 of them: About, History, and Instructions. We can all work on the wording and edit them anytime we want, streamlining them to a perfect place. We can always make subforums if needed as this thing grows.

How does this sound to everyone?

I think that a single new thread should be posted each week - Title, date (start and finish) and then, in the body of the thread, introduction to the week's prompt. Everyone who then participates should post in that thread - it can be closed when a new thread/new prompt is opened the following week ........ I suggest Fridays as the 'downunder' people then have the full weekend too.

I think that a single new thread should be posted each week - Title, date (start and finish) and then, in the body of the thread, introduction to the week's prompt. Everyone who then participates should post in that thread - it can be closed when a new thread/new prompt is opened the following week ........ I suggest Fridays as the 'downunder' people then have the full weekend too.
That was my original idea but I didn't want to commit to posting a weekly challenge myself or scheduling weekly hosts so I came up with the quarterly idea.

Maureen, if you or someone else would be willing to keep track of the schedule, I think that's a great idea. If I understand your suggestion, the mechanics would be very similar to what we are doing now in WC but the host would only post a prompt for the week and start the thread. All the posts for the week would be in the same thread so they would be easy to find and follow.

Yes. I think, hope, regulars would be prepared to help with a rota ... and yes, I'll keep track if that's what everyone would be happy with. One thread per week will be easier to follow.

Yes, I'd like a weekly All Media Challenge too. I think why it was so popular on Wet Canvas, was because it was for all art mediums. It was completely different to the Animal & Wildlife Monthly Challenge and both were well participated in.

I would rather see a WDE as a separate challenge forum. There are non-former WCers here who might like to help with hosting the challenges. Just my two cents.

I would rather see a WDE as a separate challenge forum. There are non-former WCers here who might like to help with hosting the challenges. Just my two cents.
It's going to have it's own forum, the All Media Events forum in the General Forums section. Members will be able to volunteer to host the challenges. There are some threads already posted to give you a feel for what it will be but we are still exploring the best way to handle the scheduling of hosts.

Sounds great to me. Maybe have a sign up list for hosts then rotate it sort of rather than begging for people to do it. Some never hosted just enjoyed doing the challenges.

Deborah … when you go to the General Forums list, the new All Media Events is in the top section. There is already a discussion about the new weekly challenge … and I will be posting a schedule thread later today, and asking for a sticky so we can all keep check!

Bold mine.

I thought you said that the art which derives from the prompt be posted in a new thread from each participant. Maybe I misunderstood you in our PM?

I am also confused between the WDE and whatever the other abbreviation thing is... now I forget. :(

Can we not use abbreviations maybe? Just for now? I'm new, and maybe a bit thick-headed (old and slow).

I am also confused between the WDE and whatever the other abbreviation thing is... now I forget. :(

Can we not use abbreviations maybe? Just for now? I'm new, and maybe a bit thick-headed (old and slow).
No problem. As a refresher....

WDE Weekend Drawing Event in WetCanvas
WAE Weekly Art Event in Creative Spark

Back