Discussion: All Media Events

KreativeK

I’ve been searching forums to see if there’s been any type of challenge similar to what WC had in their All Media Art Events forum each weekend. Not seen any. Charlie’s Mum (Maureen) was one of the mods of it. It’s set up to post an invitation each Wednesday announcing the event with up to 16 images posted on Fridays. Participants have the weekend to select one or more and do it in a 2 hour time limit, posting their efforts with a new thread or could be within one thread for all to see. Hosts take turns and can use own pix or from online free photo sites. This effort was the single one endeavor that pushed me to do daily art and improve output over all other. Any thoughts or ideas?

Hi Kay … I think one of our regular Weeders is going to set up a similar challenge here, so it’s probably a case of ‘watch this space’!
If it doesn’t happen, I’m sure we’ll be able to conjure one up! I’ll help any way I can!

Last edited:

Lazarus … the Animal and Wildlife challenge is different from the one Kay is asking about. On WetCanvas we run a weekly, 2 hour challenge which encourages quick painting and a sense of community. (Most of the forum challenges on WC promote that sense of community and I feel sure that others, like me, are finding that here also).

Many of the WC subforums hold (held) monthly challenges. The weekend one has been happening for a couple of decades and has a social as well as art-making focus, and was often a comfortable place for new members to start participating. There are regular participants, and many of them (us) have already joined here. So, yeah, it would be great to continue here.
(The All Media Art Events forum also hosted the project system, until it broke.)

I used to love taking part in the WDEs. It would be great to see them continue!
I had wondered if it would work if everyone posted into the same thread instead of all separately - that might have been because in the new WC, all the threads became incredibly hard to follow. Either way, I would definitely take part again if we were to set it up :)

Feel free to set up anything like that here if you want. Did you want me to set up such a forum? "All Media Events
Arty, that would be tremendous, thank you …. Ideal for those not allied to a particular medium.
I will get in touch with the other member who also wanted to continue this kind of challenge, and see when it can start…. she is a regular at the event.
Kay .. I also think a single thread would work here …. Wendy, what do you think?

I have been working on developing a weekly art event that would not require as much effort at hosting. I have noticed that over time it has become more and more difficult to find weekly hosts so I have been trying to come with something that is less labor intensive for the host. I've come up with a mix of WDE, monthly challenges, scavenger hunt and Inktober that requires very little on the part of the host. It would consist of a word or phrase prompt for the week with all the artwork response in a single thread as Triduana suggested.

I have all of the details worked out and I was planning on starting November 1 since I am scheduled to host the WDE on WC next week. I didn't want to start this new idea and host at the same time. Perhaps we can give my idea a try in November and see if it works as a reasonable replacement for the WDE.

Lazarus … the Animal and Wildlife challenge is different from the one Kay is asking about. On WetCanvas we run a weekly, 2 hour challenge which encourages quick painting and a sense of community. (Most of the forum challenges on WC promote that sense of community and I feel sure that others, like me, are finding that here also).
Somthing to start with.

Can you guys tell me what WDE stands for? Also, I set up an All Media Events forum under General Forums, and hope that will work for you. :)
Thank you Arty 👍
WDE , very early in WC’s life, started as the Friday Night Drawing Event (Sundiver can correct me if wrong)…
.. from our intro over at WC….

WDEs (Weekend Drawing Events), The Daily Painting Thread and for some Projects where hosts use the Project System and link to this forum.
The forum evolved from (FND = Friday Night Drawing, SND = Saturday Night drawing, which then became the WDEs) and which were, at first, hosted elsewhere, becoming too popular for their ‘homes’.….
at that point, the All Media forum was formed.
It’s wider than drawing though … any medium can be used to create something from the selection of images posted …. Maybe it’s time to give it a different name?
It used to be extremely popular, sometimes as many as 80 entries …. It tailed off to a lot fewer but still popular enough to limit people to one thread per weekend ….. then, with the changeover last year, participation dropped even further to a regular dozen or so now….. the forum format (as you know!) makes following threads very difficult.

Back