September 2024 Water Media Challenge- Come join the fun!

Yes, it was from a live feed streaming of owls that year. There are different locations where they try and if they get lucky the owls set up a nest. They put 24 hour cameras on them, including night vision so we can see their progress from finding and preparing a nest, finding a mate, till the babies fly off for good. This was a photo capture of the live stream. So I think that counts as mine. you’re free to use it.

PaintBoss, is the white dog you're working on your own dog?
Tremendously beautiful dog and photo so inviting waiting to be painted!

I read in your answer earlier that you started painting with water medium after you were working long time with oils and that the change to challenging water medium was quite hard work. It's interesting that you wanted to do all that effort to learn a new medium. Just makes me think of my situation and where I am now with gouache. I have also so much more to learn with oils. Looking for information to resolve problems with oils continuously.

Yep, that’s our little dog. He’s four years old. He’s a real little gentleman. Very gentle. A Pomeranian poodle cross who they said was an accidental breeding. his hair grows so long he looks like Farrah Fawcett!
I did oils for a little while, not too long. I was reacting so badly to oils that I had to change. Even some acrylics at the time would really bother me. Both affected skin and breathing. I don’t need done it for a few years although I did commissions. I loved oil! I found the other mediums, a little harder, but clean up was easier!🙂

IMG_0636.jpeg
IMG_0637.jpeg
IMG_0638.jpeg

Omg, he's cute! 🥰
Name?

Because of my asthma I wouldn't be able to paint with cheap brands so mostly I buy Old Holland oil colors but also some others. I can manage with oil colors but not at all acrylic, they smell horrib. 🤷

Yep, that’s our little dog. He’s four years old. He’s a real little gentleman. Very gentle. A Pomeranian poodle cross who they said was an accidental breeding. his hair grows so long he looks like Farrah Fawcett!
I did oils for a little while, not too long. I was reacting so badly to oils that I had to change. Even some acrylics at the time would really bother me. Both affected skin and breathing. I don’t need done it for a few years although I did commissions. I loved oil! I found the other mediums, a little harder, but clean up was easier!🙂

View attachment 43340View attachment 43339View attachment 43338
Oh what a little sweetie! What's his name?

Finn, the Finnster! Mr. Finn. 🙂
Years ago, I found the acrylic paints were terrible for my breathing before I realized I had asthma. There’s some now that don’t bother me unless I’m doing a massive size painting, especially if I’m using lots of medium. They have improved a lot, but it really depends on the brand. And for oil I have heard Old Holland is good. But I can’t handle turps. There are some oil painters that are bothered who say it’s the turps that is the culprit. And they have kept up with oil painting without using any turpentine. They don’t use glazes either. Its straight up paint only.

Last edited:
PaintBoss, what's the history behind Finn's name? Curious name!
When I was 18 I had acrylics paints, did couple of paintings with them. It was easy to paint with them but.. the smell was not good. As you said that was long time ago.
I travelled to a cabin and it takes me long now to write respond, sorry ..

Oh, I hope you have fun at the cabin.
There’s not much of a history with Finn’s name. (My daughter surprised me with a puppy after I lost my beloved Pomeranian from old age. She named him.) But Finn is used as a boy’s name. I’ve only met one man named Finn. Know of a few children named Finn, and many pets recently. I’m guessing that it’s probably been on a current TV show. We often see a surge names if it’s on popular shows.

Oh, I hope you have fun at the cabin.
There’s not much of a history with Finn’s name. (My daughter surprised me with a puppy after I lost my beloved Pomeranian from old age. She named him.) But Finn is used as a boy’s name. I’ve only met one man named Finn. Know of a few children named Finn, and many pets recently. I’m guessing that it’s probably been on a current TV show. We often see a surge names if it’s on popular shows.
Christine - My son's beautiful black Labrador is named Finn. His full name is Finbar which Im told is Irish. He is a huge, gentle, boy. He is 14 years old now but hes such a very good boy - our beloved Finn!

Oh what a handsome boy! It is so cute how they try to fit into smaller spaces. Like one’s lap! 🙂 He has reached a grand old age for a lab. Good for him.
Thank you for sharing.

Back