December 2021 Monthly Challenge

Joy - I really appreciate the feedback to help me improve. So I spent an hour last night adding a bit more to my dogberries. Here it is now, (Berries emphasized and some ice beads removed.) Hope it's okay to repost.
20211215_202135.jpg

Hawkmoth - Yes I did use masking fluid. (I love this stuff! Lol) I really like your fishermen. Great work!

Claudia - This is wonderful; the figures look so natural! I would be thrilled if I painted this.
Cindy - I really think that delineated the berries better, and I really like the changes you made. But you have to be happy with them, of course. Many are so fond of masking fluid, but I always seems to use too much or too little, so I need to practice. Your snow looks very realistic.

There was a lot of action going on here since I visited the last time.

Anne, nicely done. Looks like an illustration in a botanical book. Adding more color made it pop more.
Joy, your robin doesn't look like a mess, It looks really good and I like that the background looks blurred, that helps to concentrate to the bird.
Cindy, your seconds version of the berries is gorgeous. And it is a really difficult motive.
Claudia, the figures are excellent. If it was mine I would try to reduce the contrast between sea and sky at the horizon. I have the feeling it distracts a bit from the figures.

Now it's official, I can't resist a challenge :D. Means I painted on yupo again. This time it was going much better, I think on the first sheet of the block there were a lot of invisible fingerprints.
Tomatoes on yupo 22x32 cm

DSC01320_2_pge.jpg

Morning folks. Here's my robin. Watercolour pencils + watercolours on cold pressed paper. Only two more to go now!

Winter Robin Finished edited.jpg

Claudia - Wonderful textures. I am looking forward to your work on a daily basis.

Esther - Great job on the tomatoes!
Claudia - Beautiful job on the little bird. Excellent detail on the tiny feet. (That's usually where I mess up. :))

Love your fresh tomatoes, Esther!

Claudia, what a knockout bird painting!

Last edited:
Morning folks! Hope you are all well. Thanks so much for your comments, I'm really enjoying my 6-pic challenge! Here's number 5, the snowy berries. This one is small, about 6"x 4.5" Watercolours + Inktense pencils on Saunders cold pressed paper. Wax crayon resist for the snow, plus a bit of final scraping back (with a scalpel) on the twig.

Snowy Berries finished404.jpg

Just 1 more to go now!!

Wow, Claudia, a most excellent cold winter view with the frosted berries! You have outdone us all, LOL! Love the wax crayon resist effects, too.

Esther, lovely tomatoes on the yupo. I have enough trouble just using watercolors. Great job.

Claudia, the bird sings! Lovely. And the berries are so real looking. Applause.

Claudia - The textures/composition on this are just lovely! I have to get some of those wax resist crayons.

Merry Christmas to all,

Thanks for all your comments Claudia, Joy, Cindy, Kay and Jo.

Claudia, what a lovely robin and the blurred background fits well. The bird really stands out.
Wow for your berries, they are done excellently.

Thanks for your comments on the robin and berries folks, I really appreciate them. Here's number 6 so I'm all finished now! Hope you are all well.

Toms Photo (600 x 450).jpg

Claudia, you have an excellent eye for value and contrast. How did you do the light values on the stems and tomatoes? Wax resist?

Claudia, you have an excellent eye for value and contrast. How did you do the light values on the stems and tomatoes? Wax resist?
Thanks Joy. I didn't use any resist for this one (I would if I were to paint it again). I just tried to leave some white specs on the tomatoes and also lifted colour out on them. I painted the stems quite clumsily and failed to leave any highlights so they weren't standing out at all against the tomatoes. I therefore ended up using my last resort - scraping back with a scalpel! That worked OK, and the fuzzy bit where I scraped too hard actually looks OK, as tomato stems are fuzzy!!

Back