December 2021 Monthly Challenge

Hawkmoth

Hi everyone. Here are the images I've chosen for our December challenge. All images are from Pixabay.
I hope you can all find something you like.

Please add your artwork to this thread any time during December. Any watermedia, like watercolor, diluted acrylic, gouache, ink washes, sumi-e, and water tempera is acceptable.

Photo by TeeFarm on Pixabay.jpg

Photo by Paul Brennan on Pixabay.jpg

Photo by Photo Mix on Pixabay.jpg

Photo by Alex Fox on Pixabay.jpg

Photo by Katya-Guseva0 on Pixabay.jpg

Photo by Daniel Nebreda on Pixabay.jpg

I did a quick watercolor of the tomatoes. I'm learning and have no patience for waiting for things to dry. So I'm learning about watercolor and about patience. Ha. That's why I like pastels. I think my watercolors are mostly Windsor-Newton. This in a watercolor sketchbook about 7 x 10 inches. Critiques and help always welcome. I'm smiling. Color is better in real life, the cool darker green is not so muddy.

cs1121wcchallenge.jpg

Wow, we're off and running already!
Nice watercolour sketch Jo Castillo, you've caught the various colours of the tomatoes nicely and not overworked them.
I'm finding learning watercolours is definitely a challenge, but it's such a lovely medium, it's surely worth it!

Hi everyone. Here are the images I've chosen for our December challenge. All images are from Pixabay.
I hope you can all find something you like.

Please add your artwork to this thread any time during December. Any watermedia, like watercolor, diluted acrylic, gouache, ink washes, sumi-e, and water tempera is acceptable.

View attachment 14213
View attachment 14214
View attachment 14215
View attachment 14216
View attachment 14217
View attachment 14218
Oooh, nice selection. I particularly like the final image, the black cat in the alley. The colors are not ones I'd choose myself but they're excellent.

Wow, we're off and running already!
Nice watercolour sketch Jo Castillo, you've caught the various colours of the tomatoes nicely and not overworked them.
I'm finding learning watercolours is definitely a challenge, but it's such a lovely medium, it's surely worth it!
Thanks, I am going to try to work with watercolor more often. Once every few months doesn't quite get there. Ha.

Jo you are really fast. Nice sketch, I like how the tomatoes came out.
I found that I started to improve with watercolor when I painted once a week.
Not possible for me at the moment, but at least I manage to paint often enough to not deteriorate.

Yummy tomatoes, Jo, I think you have a pretty accurate understanding of the medium. Now you know why I paint daily as it really does teach patience and perseverance.

Jo, lovely tomatoes. Really like the shading on the tomatoes. Never thought I would like watercolor painting, but find myself doing it a lot more lately.

Very nice work Esther. I especially admire your background, it's excellent! I'm painting this same reference picture today too, but my background did not go so well!

Claudia, great refs! Thanks.
Jo, scrumptious tomatoes. You are so fast.
Esther, I am blown away! Wonderful fresh painting. Figure is great, fabric excellent.

Esther, that is one cool painting! A lovely mottled background to support the main character in the snow.

Back