Animal & Wildlife Challenge, August 2024

PaintBoss - Lovey work on the Kangaroo! I dont think his nose is too long, as they do have quite long noses. He is very cute! Im working on a watercolor of the same reference.

Last edited:
Aw thanks Vivien. That’s very nice of you to say. But I can’t wait to see your watercolor! i’m just doing the best I can right now with my health, and I’m sure you are trying your best too. I’m out of practice, but I’m having fun. That’s the point. Enjoying ourselves and maybe learning a little bit and maybe even improving our skills. It’s so nice to have this common interest with everyone and a place to share it.🙂
PS. I love your name. I have always thought Vivian was a gorgeous name!

I dazzled him up a bit. Now he’s done. I’m going to have my husband spray him and send to my nephew.
IMG_6858.jpeg

Christine- The enhanced highlights really make it look perkier!

I might as well post mine early, also. This something I did in a W & N 140CP sketchbook, 7 x 5 several weeks ago. It is really nice paper and worth a bit more. The reference was purposely included b/c I was unsure if I would have time to complete anything else for this month. I am trying to complete pieces for other threads/forums, also.

Crested Tit.jpeg

Joy, beautiful painting of the bird! Very well done!
PaintBoss, your cute portrait looks even better now! Well done! Is she in the reference photo really a kangaroo 🦘 .. and I thought the ref. (oh, dear .. 🤣 I feel silly) is a llama??

I post my first cat painting which is done with gouache and it's suppose to work as a sketch before moving to the oil painting. Size: 10x15 cm.
Underneath there is an abandoned drawing done in the Corsini Cardens.
IMG20240806133226.jpg

Joy, beautiful painting of the bird! Very well done!
PaintBoss, your cute portrait looks even better now! Well done! Is she in the reference photo really a kangaroo 🦘 .. and I thought the ref. (oh, dear .. 🤣 I feel silly) is a llama??

I post my first cat painting which is done with gouache and it's suppose to work as a sketch before moving to the oil painting. Size: 10x15 cm.
Underneath there is an abandoned drawing done in the Corsini Cardens.
View attachment 42502
Preliminary painting is on point! Looking good indeed!
Glad you like my changes. I think it’s supposed to be a kangaroo a lot. I think I made mine look more like a llama ha ha!
Joy mentioned that she used reference photos from different sites but also some of her own. I was wondering if the dog was hers. It’s a good picture but that cat obviously looks like a professional photo.🙂

Mosc, great value study - looks three dimensional.

The dog and cat aren't mine. I was going to include some of my late cat, but I was just planning the challenge on the fly with little time. When I hosted May, I think I had one of my Jake.

PaintBoss, thank you! Your kangaroo is perfect like the reference photo is. It's my lack of knowledge of animals .. I didn't know kangaroos have so much fur!

Joy, thank you! I checked your May challenge and yes there's your late cat.

Paintboss - I like your dazzled up kangaroo.
joy - lovely bird painting, and I also really like your beautiful clear wash background.
Moscato- great job on your preliminary cat.

I did the Kangaroo in watercolor on my W&N sketchbook. He looks very curious.
20240810_152726.jpg

You did a beautiful job on your painting Vivien! You really got him, and I really love the eyes. I think you did a much better job looking at the subject and I did.🙂🙂👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

PaintBoss - thank you. But looking at my painting again now, Ive decided I made his face too wide! He looks as if he has Mumps! Isn't it interesting what we see, when we look at our art after a space of time.

I thought you did a much better job on yours. I think because it’s highlighted down the side of the face it seems narrower.. But the rest of the face is still there underneath the white fur. Looking at him he makes sense to me. And you definitely mastered the ears. My ears are not big enough. And yes, as soon as we post, all of a sudden we see sine issues. I like yours the way it is. I’ve played with mine a little bit. I’m just keeping my hands off right now, but those ears are beckoning me. 😀

"Grey Cat", oil on paper, 10x15 cm.

IMG20240810124333~2.jpg

Paper is strong material, it's brought from Sri Lanka where it's hand made of elephant poo, odorless of course because when fabricating paper they use fiber.
PS. I forgot to do the whiskers.

Comments & Critique welcome! -mosc.

Back