What's the temperature there?

My brother and his wife live 9 miles outside of Boulder, CO. The wildfires that swept through Boulder at 110 mph definitely affected them - they kept looking at the black sky and smelling smoke, and were wringing their hands over what to do. Then al of a sudden there were law enforcement vehicles going through their neighborhood with a bullhorn, calling for all residents to EVACUATE NOW. They grabbed the cat and ran like hell, stayed in a hotel overnight and were terrified to go back and look.

Their house was fine.

But over 1,000 homes were totally destroyed less than 10 miles away. They're pretty freaked out.

Some scenes from Boulder:

View attachment 16336

View attachment 16337

It's 75F for the high today. I'm in the SE USA, and we do get some balmy days, but it's hot and humid and nasty out there. Supposed to rain tomorrow and then the temps will drop back to more seasonal highs - around the mid-40'sF.
We live in a fire risk area. The sound of the fire and the smell of dank ashes for weeks afterwards is what I remember the most. Hope your sister and family stay safe.

Well ... it sumner here in 1770 Queenxland and I a tally thought about putting a jacket on yesterday. Reminded e if winter in Perth, Western Australia. Bit more humidity today but still cooler than I expected
Today @ 8am it was 24 degrees, and very still. Max expected to be 34! My art shed is very cool, think I'll hole up In there

laika, that's so weird.

This morning, the temp went up to 39F, yet yesterday at the same time it was 27. I may get up to 50 this afternoon.

It’s finally getting cold enough here in upstate NY to get some frost layer in the ground. I think the earthworms are now digging downwards, definitely late for this.

It’s finally getting cold enough here in upstate NY to get some frost layer in the ground. I think the earthworms are now digging downwards, definitely late for this.
Where in NY do you live? I live up by the Canadian border and we've had frozen ground and some snow for a couple of weeks. Temps are yoyoing from the high 30s to freezing teens.

I remember Ithica not being all that further of a drive to Canada.
From Ithaca to where I live, near Plattsburgh, at the high end of the state towards Montreal, it would be about a three hour drive through the Adirondack Mountains state preserve. Barrie has a shorter route to the border at Buffalo.

I must have remembered it differently. The route I took, we stopped at Cornell and went onto to Montreal from there. Time must have stood still on that drive. It was all so incredibly beautiful.

But I have also taken the drive from Buffalo to Niagra (Canadian side). That was nice too. ♥️

We had a frost overnight but had a fine, dry morning. It’s clouding over now. The temperature is 43F, dropping to 28F tonight.
(Wiltshire, England)

I must have remembered it differently. The route I took, we stopped at Cornell and went onto to Montreal from there. Time must have stood still on that drive. It was all so incredibly beautiful.

But I have also taken the drive from Buffalo to Niagra (Canadian side). That was nice too. ♥️
You're right, my mistake, from Cornell you probably took I-81 north to Watertown and crossed into Kingston, Ont., a much shorter trip, and then took Canada 401 to Montreal. If you like old farms, forests, lakes and rivers, this is one part of the world for it.:)

Snowing here today (I live about 50 miles east of Atlanta, GA- southeast USA)!

20220116_113938.jpg

20220116_105839.jpg

As far as actual snowfall, where there is accumulation, this is nothing. All that will happen in these parts is a short run on bread, milk, alcohol, gasoline, and intense debate on the wisdom of returning to work in the next 3 days.

It's cold, people. Cold! ;)

Thinking of you in the cold, Terri.

It’s been a damp day but only a shower fell. Frosts and frozen water overnight And some fog. The temperature now at 8 pm is 48F, dropping to 33F overnight. Its due to get colder through the week. Probably not cold in the great scheme of things but cold enough for me. (Wiltshire, England)

It's been below freezing here for the last week... although a couple of times it got into the mid-40s by mid-day. The lows since at least Thursday have been in the low 20s. Today we headed out around 9:00 AM to move some of the boxes of books I had stored at my Mother-in-Law's house to a storage unit... and give our dogs a chance to run around and get some exercise. Her house sits on a couple of acres out in the country. They enjoyed running about... but not for too long as it was 15 degrees. 🥶

I laugh, Ha Ha, at your puny weather! :ROFLMAO: -16F here this morning 14F now. Snowstorm all day tomorrow, 9-12 inches. But Snowbirds strong, we eat, drink, paint, watch TV, wait for snowplow! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Last edited:
I bet it will be Wayne.. When that rain freezes there will be ice! I can’t imagine living in such a cold place.

South Shore, Nova Scotia. -14 F .. two feet of snow. Calling for rain tomorrow. It's a fine mess now, tomorrow will be brutal.
Rain on snow is the worst, makes slush, then it freezes. I hate ice. We have that freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw problem every winter.

Back