What's the temperature there?

No snow here yet either, but it did rain earlier this week. It's been in the upper 30s and low 40s ever since. At least it's no longer hot! It was apparently the hottest November on record here.

I live in the high desert where it's usually at least twenty degrees colder than Palm Springs, but yesterday it got to be 90 degrees (F), and that's unusual for May. Today, it's already 80 and it's only 9:00 am! Lord help us.
Well ... it sumner here in 1770 Queenxland and I a tally thought about putting a jacket on yesterday. Reminded e if winter in Perth, Western Australia. Bit more humidity today but still cooler than I expected

35 today. It may warm up a bit later. Still no snow. It's an abnormally "hot" winter here.

40F today in way northern New York by the Canadian border, high of 20 tomorrow, 11 on Monday, and back up to 34ish by Wednesday. It's been up and down like that for the past month. We've got a little more than an inch of snow on the ground and that's unusual.

Thanks for the report Zen. That is unusual for up there. It's been a weird year.
Yes, this will be attributed to climate change, true, no doubt. On the flip side, we are not burning as much propane and fuel oil to heat our homes, we are not running gas fueled snow blowers, the snow plow trucks are not dumping sand and salt on the roads. Unexpected consequences, or blessings.

My brother and his wife live 9 miles outside of Boulder, CO. The wildfires that swept through Boulder at 110 mph definitely affected them - they kept looking at the black sky and smelling smoke, and were wringing their hands over what to do. Then al of a sudden there were law enforcement vehicles going through their neighborhood with a bullhorn, calling for all residents to EVACUATE NOW. They grabbed the cat and ran like hell, stayed in a hotel overnight and were terrified to go back and look.

Their house was fine.

But over 1,000 homes were totally destroyed less than 10 miles away. They're pretty freaked out.

Some scenes from Boulder:

1641049710208.png

1641049816560.png

It's 75F for the high today. I'm in the SE USA, and we do get some balmy days, but it's hot and humid and nasty out there. Supposed to rain tomorrow and then the temps will drop back to more seasonal highs - around the mid-40'sF.

Where are you in California, Arty? We're currently at 41-degrees in Cleveland. It was over 50 yesterday. That may seem unusual... but our temps in November/December are always erratic. Some years are cold with a good deal of snow, Others not. It's usually January and February when things start getting brutal. A few years back we went for a long spell without breaking out of single digits.

I'm in the high desert of southern California now, about 2 hours east of LA, but it's about 4000-4500 feet up, so it's much colder than say Palm Springs where it's hot (low desert). It snows here in the winter (most years) or drops below freezing. It's still 35 with the sun out now. Windchill is a bit lower. I'm actually a little higher up than the rest of Joshua Tree, maybe another 800 feet on a hill.

I can get to LA proper in about 1.5 hours usually, when there's no traffic and I can go 80 mph. :ROFLMAO:

It's 75F for the high today. I'm in the SE USA, and we do get some balmy days, but it's hot and humid and nasty out there. Supposed to rain tomorrow and then the temps will drop back to more seasonal highs - around the mid-40'sF.
Yeah, i expect records will be broken in parts of the American South today. High 70s on New Year's Day?!

Terri - so glad to hear everything was okay for your brother and sister-in-law. We were evacuated in mid November but it was flooding in our case.
We are finally thawing a little bit here in the Fraser Valley, BC Canada. -4 C (-24F). We had a white Christmas and record cold temperatures. I don't mind the snow and cold but I really hate the wind cutting through. We are expecting another storm system to come through tonight. Time to keep warm in my art room.

Lamar, Sanlynn - thank you. :) I'm looking forward to next week and feeling the chill again!!

Sanlynn - I agree with you about the cold. It really doesn't bother me because it's easy to bundle up. :) But - I do not like a strong wind!! Cuts through everything and chills to the bone!

I can get to LA proper in about 1.5 hours usually, when there's no traffic and I can go 80 mph.

Ooh! Another speed demon like myself. ;)

In central Texas. Twas 80 degrees today and the last 10 days or so. Average usually about 60. It will be 29 in the morning. It is blowing in now and we will have 50s for this week. Don't like cold, that's one reason we live here.

My brother and his wife live 9 miles outside of Boulder, CO. The wildfires that swept through Boulder at 110 mph definitely affected them - they kept looking at the black sky and smelling smoke, and were wringing their hands over what to do. Then al of a sudden there were law enforcement vehicles going through their neighborhood with a bullhorn, calling for all residents to EVACUATE NOW. They grabbed the cat and ran like hell, stayed in a hotel overnight and were terrified to go back and look.

Their house was fine.

But over 1,000 homes were totally destroyed less than 10 miles away. They're pretty freaked out.

Some scenes from Boulder:

View attachment 16336

View attachment 16337

So sorry to hear about your brother and family. A friend's brother lost their home in the fire. We lost ours in the big fire here in Bastrop,TX, in 2011. It is very hard, but we were fine. Lost "stuff" and keepsakes, but we still have the memories. I definitely feel for them. It takes a while to gather your life. Blessings to all affected.

I am sorry about your brother too Terri. I have been meaning to make a "fire list" for Hannah and myself since fire is a threat here. It has been pretty much our entire time together since moving into the northeast of LA near the San Gabriel mountains. Before that, we lived down near the LA Harbor for our first eight years. Despite that, the smoke from the nearby fires (even down there) was brutal, and that is a good 60+ miles away from the very closest fires. I wouldn't really know what to grab to get out in a hurry--definitely *not* my art! I think we'd just grab our digital music anthology (hard drive) and that's all, and Hannah's guitars.

So sorry to hear about your brother and family. A friend's brother lost their home in the fire. We lost ours in the big fire here in Bastrop,TX, in 2011. It is very hard, but we were fine. Lost "stuff" and keepsakes, but we still have the memories. I definitely feel for them. It takes a while to gather your life. Blessings to all affected.
Jo, we were neighbors! We moved to The Woodlands (Montgomery County) in 2011, and I clearly recall standing outside the house looking up at the thick black smoke and wondering what crazy mistake we'd made. Those fires made it as close as the next county over, but they were eventually put out, of course, and nothing like that happened during our short time there. (We were there only 3 years; it was a move to help with family when my father in law died unexpectedly.) I'm so sorry to hear you had to live through that! :(

I am sorry about your brother too Terri. I have been meaning to make a "fire list" for Hannah and myself since fire is a threat here.
Thank you, Ayin. YES, you should have that fire list handy, even though you may not have time to get it all. It would give you someplace to start, anyway. Brad and I had that conversation too, when we lived in Texas - we narrowed it down to grabbing the binders of negatives and camera gear. And the cats, of course. ;)

Back