Jo Castillo AKA Jo Castillo

Artyczar

It's that time again. You know what I'm talking about...our featured members Spotlight! This month, we are very honored to be featuring Jo Castillo, who uses her real name; therefore, that's how you've all come to know her. No "AKAs" necessary! Jo frequents the Art From Life forum, and you will find her work there pretty regularly. It's unique and very formidable. Personally, I feel connected to the work she posts there. In this interview, we are spotlighting some of her more refined pieces that are impressive on another level and will be sure to inspire.

Grab a cup of your favorite beverage and enjoy our interview with Jo!

Where are you from, and where do you live and work now?

I grew up in a small ranching community, Magdalena, New Mexico. We now live in Bastrop, Texas, about 40 miles from Austin.

How did you begin making art in your life? (Did you study in school?) How old were you?

I drew and made paper dolls, if anyone remembers those! My mother drew on envelopes and calendars. Her sister was a professional western artist in the 40s and 50s and drew for a livestock company making their monthly calendars. It didn’t enter my mind that she sold paintings. When I was about 19, I saw Bill Alexander painting at a mall in Albuquerque and selling his 30-minute paintings for $100. I had never thought about buying or selling a painting. Hmmm.

We did not have art in school after about the 6th grade. I took a painting-by-mail course in my twenties and didn’t finish, as I was working and raising a family. We went to Bolivia in 1973, and I took my first “in-person” art/painting lessons there.

All-Washed-Up-apples-jo.jpg

All Washed Up, Apples, Pastel on Pastelbord, 5 x 7 inches.

How did you discover your favorite media to work in, and what is it?

We retired to Austin, Texas, in 1994, and I went to a workshop in Montana. I was painting in oils. I met a friend who talked me into going to the International Association of Pastel Societies convention in Albuquerque in 1999. What? I knew zip about pastels. It was amazing to be there with 600 or so artists all working and some making a living painting with soft pastels. Daniel Green was the main artist. The demonstrators were so good, and such a variety of work to see. The convention had an amazing group of vendors, and I bought a large set of Downey Pastels and a variety of papers. I was immediately addicted.

Is your work planned, or is it emotionally spontaneous?

Most of my work is unplanned but not very spontaneous. It comes from something I’ve seen or been thinking about. I like painting from life. I love the high desert in New Mexico and the southwest. We lived in South America for 16 years, which influences my work as well.

Bolivia-Market-jo.jpg

Bolivia Market, Street scene, La Paz, Bolivia, Pastel on Pastelbord, 16 x 20 inches.

Do you have specific artistic influences? (Can you give us some examples and why?)

I never studied art history, so my influences have been more from artists I’ve met or seen at workshops and the conventions. I really love the work of Richard McKinley and other current artists. I’ve been to the international pastel convention a few more times, where I got to know and admire quite a few pastelists. Bill Creevy was there and showed how versatile and durable pastels can be.

Pump-House_shed-lndscp-jo.jpg

Pump House, Landscape, Pastel on UART sanded paper, 12 x 18 inches.

What are some of your favorite subject matter to create?

I like painting from life much more than photos. This makes my favorite subjects to be landscapes and still life. Plein air is a great way to learn to speed up your abilities, and I love it. With age creeping up on me, my plein air outings are limited by what I can carry and how far I can walk. I like to be comfortable, so usually look for shade or use the tailgate of a vehicle for said shade.

Would you describe your current studio or workspace? We want to picture it!

I have a great studio in our home. Lots of windows. There is a corner desk where I can leave my pastels out. I have two easels up; I like to stand to paint. The opposite end of the room has a desk for my large iMac computer and printer. My husband, Gene, put up shelves made of plastic rain gutters. They hold framed and unframed work, bottles, and so much more. There is a drafting worktable in the center for framing or projects. It has storage for paper and miscellaneous tools. There is a closet for storage with shelves. (My studio has full walls now and is very cluttered. It needs to be straightened for a newer photo) More photos of my home studio and my old gallery downtown are on my blog under the tab “Jo’s Studio.”

I have artwork from several other artists on the wall to inspire. I like to listen to music when I paint, all kinds. iTunes has been my favorite, as I can play all my music rotated and at random. Favorites are country western, Andean, and Native American. I do have jazz, classical, pop, old rock and roll, big band, and more included.

Vista-Del-Rey-pines.jpg

Vista Del Rey, Pine trees, Oil on Canvas Panel, 9 x 12 inches.

What are the tools you most often use? (You can be specific about brands, etc. and why you like these.)

My favorite pastels are Ludwig, Sennelier, Unison, and Rembrandt. Oh, gosh, Downey and Holbein are great, too. Any pastels, really. My favorite surface is Ampersand Pastelbord. I like all the sanded papers, probably Colourfix the best (lots of colors). Mi-Teintes paper is great for practice and sketching. It makes one plan strokes because it doesn’t hold many layers but comes in lots of colors, too.

Other than pastels, I use mostly Liquitex acrylics, Windsor Newton watercolors, and M. Graham oil paints. I’m allergic to linseed oil. The Graham oil paints have a walnut oil base. For sketching, I like Micron, Zig Millennium, and Lamy pens. Canson and Oahu mix media sketchbooks are a favorite at the moment, so I can add watercolor to the ink sketches.

For the majority of your time, do you primarily make art? If not, what do you do (for a living or otherwise)?

I try to sketch every day, mostly with pen and ink, direct with no under-drawing in pencil. I do sketch with pastels and am trying to get better with watercolors. I try to do something in art every day.

Gene and I are both over 80 and have been retired since 1994. My most prolific artistic years were here in Texas from 1994 - 2011. I had a studio/gallery on Main Street downtown where I sold most of my work. I had work in our hometown in New Mexico and sold there and at art events when we traveled. I’ve been involved in the local art group. Six of us started the Bastrop Fine Arts Guild, which evolved into the Lost Pines Art Center. There are usually over 100 members, which is great for our size community. I still show work there.

What is a typical weekend like for you, and who are the people you'd most likely see/spend time with?

Our outings at this age are mostly to the doctor ... joking. We eat out a lot and try to go to live music. Our daughter supplies us with season tickets to the University of Texas Longhorn baseball games. We traveled every summer to get out of the Texas heat. The first 10 years or so of retirement, we traveled all over Canada. We golfed, and Gene rode his bike, and I painted.

The last few years we spent in Angel Fire, New Mexico, in the cool mountains. We have visited all 50 States and most of South America and Mexico.

Windmill-Too-jo.JPEG

Windmill, Too, Pastel on Masonite with Colourfix Medium, 10 x 16 inches.

Lastly, do you have a website or any social media you'd like to share?

My sketchbooks have been my journals, and my blog has acted as a record of my art since 2006. I’ve had a website since we retired in 1994 and have enjoyed meeting friends and artists online. I met many people through my blog, WetCanvas, and now CreativeSpark. Some are lifelong friends now. I’m not sure which I like more — painting or talking about it!

https://jocastilloart.com
https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com

It’s so nice to learn more about you, Jo; wonderful interview! I’m so glad you went to that first pastel convention and got inspired to try them because you do such beautiful pastel work! Your plein air landscapes are always so well done and I’ve admired your still life’s over the years too!

Donna T, thank you so much. You have been an inspiration as well. I love your pastel paintings. Always trying to learn!

JStarr, thanks for the hearts and faces.

Jo, that's a great interview, thanks for sharing, it's good to get to know you. Your paintings are wonderful. I admire and envy that you've been able to live and travel through South America and Mexico. Also fun to know that I'm not the only octogenarion here, been keeping that quiet. Don't want to scare the kids. :)

Last edited:
I'm so happy you participated in the interviews, Jo! Great interview, and your work is blowing me away. ❤️ I've seen quite a few of your plein air sketches over in Art From Life, but these full-on paintings are incredible! They reflect a wonderful artistic life. Applause for you!

Jo, I am so happy to see you are this month's subject! Thanks ever so much for sharing your story and talents with us. I am, frankly, blown away by the depth of your talent with different media. The contrast of the shine of the apples in All Washed Up with the texture of the tablecloth really shows mastery of the medium. Bolivia Market intrigues me the most. There are so many areas of interest, and a wonderful composition that guides the viewer's eye. The fact that you sketch daily with pen/ink shows your talent and versatility. Small wonder your work is so admired! Your website and blog are so enjoyable and showcase more of your many, many skills.

All your comments are blowing me away.

Wayne, thank you.

Zen, yep we don't want to frighten the youngsters. One of the greatest things we saw in South America was Machu Picchu. And we adopted two kids in Bolivia.

Terri, thank you. I've had a great time with my art. We have been very lucky or blessed as you might say to do so many things. We grew up in a very small town and I have known Gene forever. Married him to get even!

Joy, you always make me smile and make me feel I know you. I truly loved Bolivia and the markets and people there were so special.

Jo, thanks for sharing a bit of yourself with us. It is wonderful to get to know you better and the art you have exhibited here is stunning. Now, every time I see a new post from you, I will feel like I am viewing work by someone I know. You have a great command of soft pastels. ❤️

Jo: Great to read and get to know you better. I'm a big fan of your pastels - they are simply divine! ❤️

Jo, I forgot to mention that I would love to see a pic of the shelving made from plastic rain gutters! Also, I am very interested in other cultures and envy your time in South America. During a Panama Canal cruise, we visited Cartagena, Colombia. Absolutely thrilling old Walled City tour and colorful local birds. It was a highlight of my travels.

Jo,great interview, wonderful artwork, nice to know more about you. I already loved your art, for treasure hunts and for seeing works on your blog, you make art, exceptional in various mediums, and subjects. 👏=applause

the paper dolls, the shapes cut out of the paper that opened like an accordion? Mum made them for me as a child.

Jo, great interview. Enjoyed the works you chose to go along with it. Using the rain gutters in your studio was a great idea.

A fabulous interview! Most of it you had already told me about. Your pastels are so vividly color-perfect. Thanks for being so generous with your photos over the years, too, and do try more watercolors.

Jo, I forgot to mention that I would love to see a pic of the shelving made from plastic rain gutters! Also, I am very interested in other cultures and envy your time in South America. During a Panama Canal cruise, we visited Cartagena, Colombia. Absolutely thrilling old Walled City tour and colorful local birds. It was a highlight of my travels.
studioshelves.jpg

snoball, thank you so much. I absolutely love your drawings. I'm always amazed at the detail.

CaliAnn, thanks to you, too. I do love playing in the dust!

joe1lt, thanks. I used to make the accordion dolls, but mostly we made cut out people and designed clothes that we put on them. Changed their wardrobe at will. So lots of drawing.

Queen Bee, thank you. I really like pastels but wanted to show some of the other things. Hugs.

Kay (KreativeK) Thanks very much. I have so many photos that we never look at. You have really inspired me for the watercolors. A restaurant we go to is offering paint night on Thursdays. If you paint you get a free beer and 15% off your food bill. I will be painting with watercolors since they are easy to transport and set up! Thanks again.

You all have been great and welcoming here on creativespark

Jo, thanks! They look great. And your iMac is like mine!

Joy, I'm really smiling. Didn't know how old that photo is. I have a new iMac but still similar. A new printer, too. And of course the studio is much more cluttered. Ha. And look at you, 900 posts even!

Back