Sketching from Streetview

I agree with Perry on this. This has a nice variety of shapes and does make a very good composition. I think you're better at rocks and landscapes than you think! :)

Thanks Arty. That's what I like about doing these sketches - you sometimes have to draw things you don't like drawing! :)

I landed in Brazil today. There were a few things I liked in this scene, my favourite being the bird crossing the road.

20211104_185035.jpg

You're winding up in some fascinating places! I love the bird, too, and I like your sketching style for capturing shapes and shade. Thanks for taking us on your trips with you - I'm really enjoying following these.

You are a world traveler! I like this one. It pulls me right into the drawing. I wonder what's around the corner......????

This is something I started last year, when I had to work from home and wasn't able to go anywhere due to lockdown. I would zoom in somewhere entirely at random on Streetview and draw wherever I ended up. My rule was that I could move around a little bit as long as I stayed on the same road. I started this so I would keep drawing. It's also helpful to me as I don't know what I'll be drawing next - if I wanted to choose somewhere to draw from Streetview it would take me all day! Unfortunately, my project only lasted a week or so, because the desire to draw or paint left me completely!

Anyway, I'm happy to say I've started drawing again now, so this is today's sketch. I landed outside a very nice house.

View attachment 12184

I aim to keep this thread going, and I'll add last year's sketches when I can. I seem to recall one of them centres in on some bins, so it isn't all pretty views!

Does anyone else do this? Feel free to add your sketches to the thread if you do :)
Hi, I have to admit to using streetview to pad out some of my coutryside photos. Its a great resource. But Ive never thought of using it as an inspirational source. Nice drawing BTW

Shoveling out the car - not one of my favorite things. Nice that you were able to do this from Street View and didn't have to stay out in the cold. You did well with the person and the car.

Anne - thank you for commenting. It's a while since I've had to dig a car out, it's hard work! :)

Arty - many thanks. I don't have a lot of confidence sometimes. :)

I'm discovering that I like doing landscapes loose and scribbly instead of putting in lots of detail. Next time I get a scene like this I'll try it directly in ink.

View attachment 12656
You are good at them too. I enjoy looking at quick sketches. There is a spontaneity that sometimes gets lost in the finished painting. Keep sketching!

Back