Shapes

jmfletch

This started to be a sketch but ended up being well over an hour. Halfway through I realized I should have used toned paper to make the lights pop. Duh!
1 square
2 triangle - one side of pyramid
3 polygon - a kind of diamond shape
Crystals are from a set. Multiple grades of graphite and several different erasers.
EF521A1D-EF35-48E7-942C-47DEE8634986.jpeg

Attachments

• 67C59D5D-7E36-4FE9-A862-27FD0BAB3F3C.jpeg
    67C59D5D-7E36-4FE9-A862-27FD0BAB3F3C.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 116
Joe, these are wonderful shapes, well rendered with fantastic lighting and reflection. Thanks for the real photo too.

Good work. Nice shadow and light. Even with bringing in some light that maybe wasn't there in the actual reference, it looks correct! :)

Good work. Nice shadow and light. Even with bringing in some light that maybe wasn't there in the actual reference, it looks correct! :)
Thank you. Took the photo after I was done drawing and a bit of a different angle. Light source was sunlight from a window.

Beautiful example of your graphite skill, Joe. Glad you got carried away and spent the time on this one - it was worth it! Love the work on the light.

Geometrical objects like cubes, pyramids and cylinders were the first subjects I had to draw long ago in drawing school. However they were made from wood and were illuminated by lamps, so the lighting was always the same. Those ones are transparent and the sunlight is much different than the well regulated electric lamps. Transparency makes drawing much harder, along with the sunlight's artifacts!
Sure, you did put on paper these subtle light effects.
:)

Geometrical objects like cubes, pyramids and cylinders were the first subjects I had to draw long ago in drawing school. However they were made from wood and were illuminated by lamps, so the lighting was always the same. Those ones are transparent and the sunlight is much different than the well regulated electric lamps. Transparency makes drawing much harder, along with the sunlight's artifacts!
Sure, you did put on paper these subtle light effects.
:)
Thanks. I have a set similar that as well; all white made from card stock except the sphere which is foam rubber: a square, a sphere, a cone and a cylinder. Great for practicing.

Back