Scavenger Hunt from Life #14: Feb 22 - Mar 2, 2022

AiArts

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.
If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/
Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Please join us by sketch some items or its association below…If use association, pls. include your chain of association.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #14: Feb 22 – March 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Slow

Fast

Thick

Thin

Round

Not-round

Square

Rectangle

Polygon

Odd shape or complicate shape

Simple

Difficult

Simple and good

Nature

Man-made

Fruit (Challenge#1 – more than 1 kind)

Vegetable (Challenge#2 – more than 1 kind)

Flower (Challenge#3 – more than 1 kind)

Outdoor

Indoor

Go green / good to the earth

Culture

Act of kindness

Bring you smile

Make you laugh

What you love or like

Thanks for the new list, Ai.

#1 - Fruit. Apples. Celebrating finding a new set of gel crayons yesterday. And these ones were shelved in the mixed-media art supplies section (rather than kids' toys!). I know these aren't a popular drawing tool, but it's nice to see them start appearing in the art section of shops. Gel crayons, A2.

fruit.jpg

Looks good, thanks Ai
Thanks for the new list, Ai.

#1 - Fruit. Apples. Celebrating finding a new set of gel crayons yesterday. And these ones were shelved in the mixed-media art supplies section (rather than kids' toys!). I know these aren't a popular drawing tool, but it's nice to see them start appearing in the art section of shops. Gel crayons, A2.

View attachment 19242
Gosh that was quick! Great apples Triss!

Triss: Fantastic start of this Hunt. Were the underground pink of the apple were laid by Gel crayons too ? Look very upbeat and interesting.

Viv. and all : Hello...

Ai - No, the grounds are all gesso/acrylic mixes (done in advance so that I have papers I can use for all media - I've always hated gessoing paper for oils, but painting the coloured grounds is less of a chore!). You could lay in a background with the crayons, but it would look more like a watercolour wash.

Ai - No, the grounds are all gesso/acrylic mixes (done in advance so that I have papers I can use for all media - I've always hated gessoing paper for oils, but painting the coloured grounds is less of a chore!). You could lay in a background with the crayons, but it would look more like a watercolour wash.
Thanks so much Triss

Ai, thanks for the challenging list. Making me think. Ha.

Triss, super apples. I will try some but no crayons or oil pastels….or charcoal.

Ai, thanks for the new list.

Triss, I'm not sure what gel crayons are but I looked them up to be sure. I have a set of what I think are similar crayons that I needed for a workshop but they were just called watercolor crayons. You got such great results on the apples! The vibrant colors are great.

1 - complicated shape (tree) - direct watercolors
IMG_9607.jpeg

2 - brings a smile - ink (I love that so many people were out walking on the boardwalk at the park...me too!) I'm planning on doing the 1 Week 100 People challenge so I wanted to get in some people sketching practice. These people were walking down the ramp from the boardwalk to the parking lot so I was able to get quick sketches down.

IMG_9605.jpeg

Great looking list, Ai!

Triss, your apples are beautiful - the gel crayons look intriguing to me.

Joan, for quick sketches I think your people look terrific! I like how they're all bundled up. :) Very nice work! Love the shapes and colors of your tree, too.

Joan, excellent work on the tree shape. Trees can be difficult. Your folks walking and rolling are great to see. Nice that more people are out for your big challenge. I guess you are in for more storms, we get cold rain tomorrow. We always have some cold in February and March in time for the college baseball. Ha.

We got to be on the porch this morning. I sketched on my iPad with the app Brushes and the Apple pencil. Much longer than a sketch in ink or pastels. Sigh.

Number 1 culture - Gene has these binocular glasses that can be used for opera glasses, right?

csshfl14culture.jpg

Joan - I like your complicated tree shape, and well done on all those people!

Jo - Great digi sketch of the binocular glasses! Ive never tried digi artwork but I think it would be very difficult.

1 Fruit, pear, I then tried various pens and pencils I had.
in the end I had started the program on the computer, and I tried to draw it digitally 2 times.

maybe it's a trivial thing, but I didn't think about it years ago, before reading it or seeing examples, in digital, if we use a colored background instead of white, it seems a little less annoying for the eyes

Pera.jpg
pera 1.jpg
pera 2  matita 6b_bak.jpg

Great works everyone 😘

Joan: I agree with Terri, your tree and people sketches are terrific.

Jo: Wow... never think of that... and you have the item for the opera... lovely digi sketch of it.

Ep and Terri : Hello

Viv: Love those flowers... so vivid.

Joe1: Wonderful set of Pear.... I exp. love your first set of multi-trials ... Nice result on digis too. I would love to frame the first set.

... Speaking of background (Joe1 just mentioned)... I also think that Triss does inspire us quite well in background experiment too....and Jo as well when she plays with her pastels...🙂

Well, I hope to draw some items for this Hunt... at some points... 😟

Joan - Gorgeous tree sketch! Absolutely love those colours, and the wonderful negative painting of the fence. Great work on your people practice - lovely quick captures, and wishing you lots of luck with the challenge. I hadn't heard of those crayons being called watercolour crayons before - my new set are 'artist mixed media gel sticks', which maybe sounds a bit more grown up, but they're still crayons to me!

Terri - If you've ever had the (mis)fortune of trying water-soluble oil pastels, then gel crayons are a much more usable alternative.

Jo - Ha! I know I can't tempt you over to oil pastels - but crayons are like coloured pencils, just faster. Love how you got to culture with the glasses, and fun sketch - you worked in a lot of nice detail.

Vivien - Beautiful work on the three varieties of flowers. Love your attention to all the shapes. Really elegant outlining of the petals, particularly on the Gladiola (but Fuchsias are always my favourites!).

Joe1 - Wonderful hatching on your sketches of the pears, and great to see you posting your digital experiments, too. What software are you using? A coloured background is not at all trivial - I always used to use a grey mid-tone when I worked on computers, and still prefer mid-tone paper to white for sketching.

Ai - Re: my recent backgrounds, I definitely stole that idea from Jo's pastels! I'm just working on random colours to try to get a feel for it - Jo always makes amazing choices with hers.

#2 - Act of kindness. (A very wonky) Dog2. Dog2 always looks a bit miserable, because she is. She'd been dumped, and was found starving on the street, so she didn't have a nice start in life. Many thanks to the rescue charity for their kindness in helping & rehoming her.

dog2sh.jpg

Triss: Wow... Act of kindness ... so spotted on both the concept and the fantastic art work with great expressiveness..!!!(y)

Back