Scavenger Hunt from Life#27: June 7-15

5 - people - watercolors and ink
6 - often found in multiples (chairs)
7 - gives comfort (hot drink in front)
8 - drink (on back counter)

IMG_0165.jpeg

We are under the start of our teaching semester break... We have more flexible work hours for the next 6 weeks... So today after dropping the kids off at their schools. .. we drove around and discovered an interesting cafe. I sat down and borrowed their bus decoration to sketch.... done in directwatercolor.

#2 bus

h27_bus_a.jpg

h27_bus_b.jpg

Jo : Thanks... Very inspiring complex shape egg carton sketch... nice digi. from the clinic.

Joan: Thanks....Wow... so many cool sketches, from landscape to the glorious cafe sketch with many people. Well done.

Viv: Thanks. ... So lovely yellow flower sketch.

Jo - very pretty work with the pillar and the above lighting. Your detail work in the egg carton is excellent!

Vivien - your jonquils are lovely! I'm not surprised to learn they are blooming in the cold - I used to live in the SE USA, and they are always the first blooms to make their appearance at the end of winter. They're tougher than they look!

Joan - your direct WC is gorgeous as always. Delicate flowers, lovely skies and wonderful attention to details. Love these! Your group of people is so interesting. I like how you're able to incorporate so many of the prompts just in this one painting. :)

Ai - that bus is beyond cute! Well done!

Thanks all y'all.

Vivien, awww, sweet Jonquil. Good job with the pen and watercolor. I love those together.

Joan, I envy you getting out and about. Maybe I can do it soon. The direct watercolors are amazing. Love the color of the flower. Your landscape is so calm and peaceful. Excellent window and bushes. Your coffee shop and people is so good. Applause.

Ai, awwww, such a cute bus and sketch. Direct watercolor no less!! Happy you get an easier schedule for a while.

Baseball and daughter visit today, so may not sketch until tonight. Later......

AI, wonderful sketches!
Jo, love that landscape—the scene and your marks are reminiscent of the vegetation. I like the waiting room scene too. I draw there too, if there’s time. Glad things are okay.
Your egg carton is a good example of mark making and what can be done with them.
Vivien, such a brave flower is right. And pretty, too.
Joan, these are so nice. The flowers are so dainty! I really like the windows, and love the last one. Years ago, I took my van to the dealer for servicing, generally about a 3 hour wait. They had a small food bar similar to yours, and tables and counters. I would draw/paint such scenes while waiting. People were preoccupied and paid no attention to me. It was great!
AI, good one!

Here's a rectangle or two: water-soluble graphite, the cupboard a tv sets on.
thumbnail_IMG_6720.jpg

Ntl - nice job with the water soluble graphite! You did a fine job getting various rectangles in your sketch.. Now you have me interested in the water soluble graphite! 😆

Ai - mmm, your blueberry cheese pie looks delicious! What a nice delicate touch you have with the WC.

Those Thai fruits look intriguing. (I always love seeing others using oil pastels!) What pretty colors and shapes these fruits have.

...now I'm hungry. 😕 Do we have any cookies?

ntl, great job on your rectangles. I wish we could have an antenna instead of paying for satellite.

Ai,blueberry cheese pie looks deicious. Yummy. Very interesting fruit. Thanks for sharing them. The direct watercolor is great. You did well with the oil pastels.

Number 6 square, coasters. The black one looks more square but they are both square made with plastic canvas.
Number 7 favorite color - couldn't decide between red or blue, so found the coaster with both. Sketched with Zig Millennium 05 pens.
cssffl27square.jpg

#5 keep me calm -- mountain and green ... from a stop at a cafe on our way back from our country cabin to our Bangkok home... done in directwatercolor.

h27_Calm_a.jpg

h27_Calm_b.jpg

Ai, your green landscape is very calming and beautiful. Good find.

I sketched at the table today in the 9 x 12 sketchbook with a Prismacolor 01 that's running out of ink. Typical of me. Too lazy to look for another pen. And they are leaning left which is also typical.

Number 8 keeps me calm - new Dove soap with lavender and chamomile in it. (bought by accident)
Number 9 spice in our life - a couple of hot sauces. Larry gave us the one from Texas and of course we almost always have Tabasco from Louisiana although we hardly ever use it. We eat mostly New Mexico chile for spice.

csshfl27calm-spice.jpg

Ai, thanks. I'm glad you will have a little more time for creating in the coming weeks. Love the little bus...so cute! That blueberry cheesecake looks delicious and like something I would enjoy. Those Thai fruits are so unusual. How do you eat them with those prickly looking things on them? Super loose direct watercolor of the mountain, foliage and the sky!

Terri, thank you. The nice thing about sketching scenes with people is that the surrounding items are usually things I can use in the hunt.

Jo, thanks! I saw that it has been really hot down there, so going out isn't that easy for you. I like the patterns on the coasters! I've never seen Dove soap with camomile and lavender in it. I love the smell of lavender so I would probably like that. Nice spicy jars. I use hot sauce on some things and am not too particular about brands. Nice shapes to your bottles.

I took part in a garden tour yesterday. Selected artists were invited to paint in 6 different gardens.
9 - oval shapes (petals) - direct watercolors
IMG_0179.jpeg

10 - complex shape (the whole scene, but especially the white flower shapes) - direct watercolor

IMG_0178.jpeg

11 - gives me calm - direct watercolor

IMG_0173.jpeg

Thanks Joan and Jo.

Jo: Love your ink lines... esp. the spices. I share the same situation ... having some spices that I don't use as often

Joan: The rambutan, we don't eat the prickly skin/shell, we ate the soft white flesh in side (my drawing shows), then we spit out the middle seed. ... Glorious set of sketch. The beach is so you but the stunning for me was the complicate flower with sturucture in the back. The petal is perfect and sweet.

JoC - that is some eye building, is it painted purple too? egg carton is a very complex shape. Thanks for waking me up to it.

Joan...great job wit the “direct “ flowers... the dabbing is just right toward texture and not too tight on control...the shore-reeds-and sky is nice to lay eyes on

Vivien, hi way down there, sweet jonquils.....happy thoughts . Glad you got a little something perky to draw.

Ai - lovely watercolors....fantastic sky in the Live Photo too. I like seeing your tiny bucket and plastic water bottle for painting....I have tried different things but that arrangement is better than just a water brush if the circumstances allow.

ntl- quiet rectangle sketch.....

Rectangle-fridge
organic shape-orchid leaves
brings happiness-bee figurine
people at coffee shop
comes in pair- salad tongs
found in multiples- garlic cloves
drink- tea bag
E67FF89E-88CD-4078-9337-F869AAB0B3E0.jpeg
F3B24FA4-0173-40A9-AEC9-2ED112E3CB8D.jpeg

Thanks for the new list! I'll post first and then return with comments.

ink and marker, 5x8" page
1. landscape
hunt27-01.jpg

2. organic shape (Xmas cactus) - only partly coloured...
hunt27-02a.jpg

Cheers,

Ai - ooh Love the Lefty Lucy :) What fun poses she does! What a cute little red bus. Mmm that pie makes me drool! What wonderful (and, for North Americans, strange-) fruits. I like the colours on that plate :)
Jo - yay - always enjoy your ink marks for landscapes :) What a funky decor in the eye doctor office. Yahoo fun coasters! Those could be the backs of playing cards too. Dove in a box - yay
Vivien - yay sunny yellow flowers!
Joan - hooray purple petals. Love the sky in your landscape with the water (ocean? river?) Yay rectangular windows. Is that a person actually sketching at the coffee shop? How fun to find that in the wild! Wonderful reddish/pinkish petals - magnolia?
ntl - yay rectangle with rabbit ears antenna!

Joan, nice the flowers fit in to your outing. The wild roses are so delicate and lovely. The scene with the white flowers is amazing and well done. I think that is a birdhouse on the tree, right? The calm scene makes me feel calm, too. Nice finds.

Robin, the eye building is sort of blue grayish inside. I tend to make shadows look purple ( I tend to ignore gray...ha). Good thought of fridge for rectangle. Orchid leaves are great. Cute bee. Clever on garlic pods. Fun you found some people to sketch. (I need to get out and find some)

EP, great landscape. Nice work on the car. Fun colors and design. I like the idea of the organic shape. My Christmas cactus didn't make it this year. Need to get my sister to send a piece of the one my mom had. Yes, the eye doctor office is very different from most waiting areas. Lots of curves and corners. Not much decoration like plants and stuff. Offices are pretty normal!

Back