Scavenger Hunt from Life: #90 - Nov 2 - 10

Joan T

Scavenger Hunt #90: Nov 2 - Nov 10

The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt #90: Nov. 2 – 10

In a container or box
In a cabinet or closet
Something sweet
Something crunchy
Something you eat with a spoon
A cutting utensil
Has a pattern or design on it
Has hair
An eye or a pair of eyes
A nose
A mouth
Made of plastic
Made of glass
Made of leather
Made of ceramic or stone
A landscape
A building
A vehicle
Smells good
Feels good
Has one wheel
Has two wheels
Has three or more wheels
Related to exercise
Related to sleep
A single leaf (Challenge – 3 different kinds of leaves)

Enjoy the hunt!!

#1 related to sleep ... My pillow...done with cp+Markers

20231102_224325.jpg

Ai, I like your cute Tweetie pillow. It would probably give me silly dreams. lol

I thought I might have missed all the autumn colors while I was gone but found this spot today.
IMG_3926.jpeg
1 - landscape - direct watercolor

Thanks for the new list, Joan. Your tree is excellent. Happy you found some fall colors.

Ai, you are right there with such a cute pillow. Makes me giggle. Well done.

Hi there Pine Cone.

Thanks Ai & Jo. There is very little autumn color around. I have to really search for it. I think our strange weather this year affected the colors of the leaves. Most are a dull brown color.

Pine Cone - I hope you get to sketch something.

I was in this area a week ago. This morning I took Tone with me to get some good bread from my fav. bakery in the area... to our surprise... we got out of the bus into the starting of the Chinese lion and dragon dance. I got to do a quick sketch from a roadside table of my fav. bread shop. You have to imagine how my colorful dots represent... things moved away from me so fast...lol

#2 building -- Banglamphu shop house with dragon+ lion head parade festival ... done with wc and pencil and pen ...

Nov4_2023_ShrineParade1.jpg

Nov4_2023_ShrineParade2.jpg

Nov4_2023_ShrineParade3.jpg

JoC and Joe/Fletch👋 I posted a reply to you both on #89.

Ai — I love your Tweetie pillow for a peaceful sleep 😴
That would have been a surprising bit of fun, landing in the middle of a colorful parade 😃 Love that dragon, and the costumes and faces, love your sketch, Wow! Colorful and perfect for the moment 😂

Joan — Gorgeous tree... can't look away... Thank you for finding such vibrant color in a lackluster autumn year, and sharing it with us 🎨
Your ProCreate sketches are again lovely, and show that you're getting a feel for different brushes and/or different possibilities. Your lettering is amazing! And you're showing how paint interacts with paint in some cases! I love that about ProCreate (and it's true in other painting apps as well!). Now I'm craving a chocolate chip cookie with almonds 😋

1 — has a pattern or design on it
..... sketched freehand in the ProCreate app on iPadPro with an Apple Pencil
..... blind contour (but unlike in the past, eyes open)

Believe it or not, this is a small stack of five folded cloth pieces LOL 🤪

Later, if possible, I want to sketch one of the clothes as it has a fun pattern on it.

IMG_3809.jpeg

I thought it might be fun to do a ProCreate Tip for you guys... If this is inappropriate (as it doesn't have a sketch for the event), please contact Triduana as she can probably take it down. But if allowed, I hope it helps!!! 😌

IMG_3810.png

NOTE — The text is all done in ProCreate.

NOTE — The massive downsizing goofed up the bottom (thin) layer of the text, but at a decent resolution, ProCreate's text handling is impeccable.

NOTE — If you guys like this idea, then next time, I'll create the Tip on the final size, and see if that makes the text appear correctly.

Ai, great way to catch the action!!! I tried sketching the lion dance in Chinatown once and it kept moving and I had to keep moving. I'm not sure how much I was able to capture...but you see it and know you have to try. lol

Pine Cone, thank you. I think our crazy weather with heat that lasted so long really affected the color change this year. Thanks for the Procreate tip. I've noticed that you get very different results if you are doing one stroke or going over the area again. I haven't done any text like that yet. I'll have to watch something before I try it.

This was sketched at a farm stand with several greenhouses attached.
4 - made of plastic (pots) - watercolors and ink
5 - building (part of the greenhouse)
6 - has one wheel

IMG_3932.jpeg

Joan, thanks. I like your digi sketches. Cookies make me hungry, though. Yummy almonds and nice letters. The farmstand is so well done. I like your textures and found items.

Ai, what a fun moment with the parade! You did well for such a short time, captured the colors and action!

Pine Cone, I like your folded cloth lines and the tip.

I sketched in the Strathmore sketchbook with the same colored pens. On a page with the small landscapes from last Hunt.
Number 1 with a pattern - a Navajo rug over a chaair
Number 2 one wheel - a pizza cutter

csshfl90pattern.jpg

csshfl90one-wheel.jpg

Jo, I love the idea of the pizza cutter having one wheel. I never would have thought of that. The Navajo rug is the perfect item to use for a pattern. It is so bold and colorful. Nicely done!

Thanks Joan, Jo, and PineCone.

Jo: Great sketch of one wheel pizza cutter and the rug pattern.
PineCone: Cool pattern sketch.

Ai - That looks like a pillow made fir sweet dreams. Great how you captured the spirit of the event with just color!

Joan - I am working on watercolor landscapes trying to learn wc. Saving your painting for use as a reference in tree lessons. Beautiful. Thanks.nice digital of cookies and almonds . Yum. The flower stall is pretty and the 4 corner composition keeps the eye traveling around the flowers

Pine Cone - Love the tip. Keep posting please. You are most expert digital artist in this group. And as to post in last hunt..feel free to borrow anything or any thought of mine.

Jo - Think you have pretty well mastered pens! Love the blanket and you rendered it well. Great job capturing both the plastic and the metal textures in the pizza cutter.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Back