Scavenger Hunt from Life #9 Jan 13 to Jan 21

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Sue, nice sketch of the wren. I'm glad she stayed still for you. I love that you plant gives you unexpected flowers! Nicely stippled hammer.

Joe, nice work on the recorder. I never learned to play a musical instrument and have regretted it. Glad you are getting back into it.

Ai, you always have such nice collections of things. Love the pebbles.

Jo, I don't think it is old age that caused you to miss some items. The same thing happens to me and then when I come onto the thread the next time I find all these posts ahead of what I posted. I know they weren't there when I posted. lol Fun mug for your coffee.

Mary, what a wonderful job on the telescope!!! Is looking at the stars a hobby of yours or something you do professionally? Must be great to see things up close! Fun sketch of your dog using stippling.

Triss...wow! Look at the textures you put in those grasses!!!!

3 - sparks joy (Italian restaurant) - watercolors and ink
IMG_9384.jpeg

4 - something glass (front of this beach cottage) - watercolors and ink

IMG_9382.jpeg

Joan: Thanks... Love both the glass windows restaurant and the beautiful glass house. Superb !!!

Mary: Thanks... Wow... so nice stippling of the pooch ... applaude !!

Jo: Thanks... Love the pink lima. So sweet.

Joe - Love the description of Navy days, that actually makes them sound a bit more paintable! Charcoal does cover a broader range of mess than pastel - from cleanish to nightmare - I have some charcoals that I'll only use outside.

Jo - That llama is too cute! Absolutely beautiful job with the delicate pink fur, and love your background colours!

Mary - Brilliant, creative result with the stippling! Great colours, and a fabulous dog sketch.

Joan - Great work on both sketches. Love the fun cars, lettering, and the brighter colours in the restaurant sketch, and the more subdued beach cottage has a wonderful feel of the weather.

#12 found on the walking path in my neighborhood garden -- done in directwatercolor, about 8x10 inch
h9_walkingPath_a.jpg

h9_walkingPath.jpg

#13 wet -- our neighborhood swimming pool -- directwatercolor
h9_wet.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ams
Triss, great idea for something wet, that is so typical of our dreich days. Did you do this outside and if so how did you stop the charcoal becoming a muddy mess ('cos I'm sure that's what I would have ended up with!) No sketching outside up here these last few days as the wind has been unrelentingly strong - 40-45 mph - and biting cold.

Jo. what a cute fluffy llama, love his expression

Mary, super stippling on the wee dog, she's adorable

Joan, I love these two. They really convey different moods through the varying intensity of colour

Ai, Two more great sketches, I love the splashy look of the water and the way you have shown the texture of the path

Triss: Love the grey morning landscape in charcoal... Wonderful light and texture.

Sue & Joe1 & Anne: Thanks.

This set was done using Australian made liquid pencil, I inherited from our late Hunt friend, Elizabeth.

#14 rare -- 1922 US. peace silver dollar from Tone's collection
#15 ring -- silver ring
h9_rare_ring.jpg

Joan great location works. Do you ever have struggles with wind or sand? Do you set up an easel or something to hold water can?

Ai I adore the flowers I. The grass. Filling the page is a great technique I am gonna copy you. Nice bag of chips too

Jo your pastels are radiant. I always sit a moment or two transfixed.... thanks sweet pink unicorn

JMFl- the bird is great ...thanks for the photos.

triss wow love the mug and orange tube. And background....I am gonna start adding background

Mary . I feel like your dogs are my pals too...from all your portrayals of em. They look pretty happy

Mary - Nicely done stippled puppy. Cersei is a cutey.

Joan - I don’t know about sparking joy but Mangiamo sure sparks a craving for Italian food. WOW on the detail of the beach cottage!

Ai - Nice. Two great finds. Flowers and leaves and the pool! Both direct. The flowers, leaves and grass has a bit of an abstract feel that is cool. Nice job on the coin and ring.

Triss - If Navy grey sounds paintable to you than “Go girl!”. Painted enough stuff Navy grey it is my “brown” to steal from jo’s quote .

Robin - thanks.

#3 something that fixes - vice grips. Drew with multiple grades of graphite in 8.5x5.5 inch sketchbook. Unsure of exact time but it was over an hour.

790518CA-3B2C-4F2E-A7C8-DEA0FC488D0C.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

(

Ai, nice stippling!! I smiled at the Danitas. Strong sketch of the strong mortar & Pestle. That is definitely an odd looking fruit. It reminds me of a massager I saw once.

Joe, nice sketch of the bird. Love that spoonbill. We mostly see gulls here with an occasional egret that stops by the marshes. Good shading on the vice grip. I take joy where I can get it lately and Italian food can do it. lol The beach cottage is actually one of about a dozen that they rent at Hecksher State Park. They all face the water and are pretty nice. Jerry is not a nature boy so he's never wanted to stay down by the water...too many bugs at night. I would love to do it just for the wonderful sunrises there must be there.

Jo, nice solid look to your red glass! Love the pine cones. Cute pink creature!

Triss, nice drizzly morning sketch. The use of the monochrome gives it a special dreary day feel.

Caught up to the post I did last night. Will continue commenting now. Thanks to everyone for your comments and encouragement.

Ai, nice flower find. That pool looks ready for me. Let me grab my flotation noodle... You do well with the liquid pencil. I haven't tried that yet.

Hi Joe 1 & Sue!

Robin, yes, when I actually paint outside my car the weather sometimes is a problem. I only set up an easel if I am doing a larger painting. For the sketches it isn't worth the effort. I've had paintings/sketches blow into the sand, but the worst is when sand or dirt blows into the wet paint in the pallet. You never get it out. When I do sketches outside I try to work with my smaller pallet that I can hold in one hand by the little ring and then hold a small water container and a paper towel in that same hand. I use this small one or one that is about triple that size.

IMG_9402.jpeg

Ai - Love the abstract vibe of the flowers on the path - wonderful play of colour and shape! Fab splashes in the pool water sketch, and great design. The ring and coin have beautiful tone and texture. So many brilliant techniques in your stuff already this week!

Sue - The photo flattered that charcoal sketch quite a bit - the paper was absolutely trashed! I've tried loads of stuff for drawing in the rain, and charcoal's about all I've found that works. I used a lot of different sticks for that drawing, all different tones - so no attempt to blend. Wind is more of a disaster for me than rain, as I usually forget paper clips - I don't blame you for staying indoors in that kind of weather!

Joe - Stunning sketch! Such great control over the graphite tone - and perfect highlights.

Joan - Really interesting to see your palette and how you manage to hold the water - I can't imagine ever getting to grips with the juggling you watercolourists do!

#1b - Landscape. Yet another field (actually about the same spot as the charcoal sketch, but better weather). Acrylic/oil pastel, A2.
landscapefieldcs.jpg

OMG Joan -you do all that fenaggling...thanks for sharing with photo because it is inconceivable! very impressive

Ai, Joe, Triss ,Robin wonderful job ,cool coins, ring, vice grips, landscapes, hangers, toy, kalimba

1 Something wet fountain and shepherd boy nativity scene
2A bird, rooster statue
3 somethimng red, lighters box

2022-01-17 23-46_pagina_2.jpg
2022-01-17 23-46_pagina_1.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone, thank you for your kind words of my sketches.

Joe1: Nice nativity scene, esp. the boy carrying buckets. Cool chicken.

Joe: What a superb work of graphite of the tool. Perfect in every way.

Joan: Thank you so much of your mobile set up... That is very useful information. My local art store carry a small empty metal folding wc pallet with finger ring... If I find it again, I will get it to make my mobile palette. Hey, may be you and I can rent that beach cottage together for a paint out stay ... praying for this.

Triss: Wowza.. on your stunning landscape. Love the light effect... I think when you often do watercolor, the lighting is in the opposite approach when you do lighting in pastel/acrylic/oil. I am learning.

Anne: Thanks for kind support... hope you have time to share some sketches.

Back