Scavenger Hunt from Life #9 Jan 13 to Jan 21

#7 glass -- with attempt of stippling, done with a marker

h9_glass.jpg

#8 orange -- done with markers ... oops I left the 'e' out at the end of 'cheese' ...lol

h9_orange.jpg

#9 strong -- our granite stone mortar, done with 0.5 pen
h9_strong.jpg

#10 delicate -- I brought some fallen flowers of "Yellow silk" on the ground at our cabin and tried to preserve them by putting them in our fridge. So today I took this one out of our fridge and did this one in cp... about 15 minutes, size about 3x3 inch

h9_delicate.jpg

#2 Bird - 2mm HB pencil in sketchbook. Pose is not totally from life but had moving models that do not stay still very long.
02AB2811-DCFA-4CFA-BCB1-B5D927AE5405.jpeg

Be back later to comment
Joe
65189430-4BD7-4619-807D-EE81251C7DCE.jpeg

Joe: That is a wonderful sketch and what a special place you live... with those exotic birds...

Mary - Looks like a cool telescope. Enjoy! Still amazed you can draw on iPhone with your finger.

Triss - you may not have hands for flutes but you sure have artistic hands. Like how your dynamic style adds life to the landscape.

Ai - cool wee flower that keeps trying to bring color to your home. Great stippling! Think you covered all media except oil with this series. 😁

Keep sketching
Joe

Ai, thanks for the tips on the pens. Your stippling is good. I need to do that. Nice job on the chees nachos. Smile. Fun choice for strong. The delicate is a lovely choice, too.

Mary, love the telescope. Gene might like one of those, I wonder if he has the patience to set it all up?

Triss, you make me want to try oil pastels again but I know they drive me to drink! Your field is amazing with the textures and colors.

Sue, love the red of course. The throw looks good to me. Love the flower. You did a good job on the hammer. I haven't tried stippling in such a long time. It takes patience.

Joe, oooo, nice on the bird. It is hard to catch a pose. Well done. Thanks for the photos.

I did another super quick sketch with pastels. Same piece of paper, wiped off. About 10 minutes. Should have put the background behind the glass and pine cones. Added it after so....
Number 2, red and Number 3, found on a walk

csshfl9red.jpg

Whoops I merged Comments to Ai and Sue
Sue - cool wee flower that keeps trying to bring color to your home. Great stippling

Ai - Think you covered all media except oils with this series,

jo - always frustrates me that you paint in pastels and then erase them. Your pastels are always so pretty with great light and shadow.

Keep sketching
Joe

Joe: Thanks ... wow on the pink spoonbill bird.

Jo: Thanks ... lovely for your pastel sketches, love the red cups and pine cones...

Joe, thanks so much. Don’t be frustrated. I keep photos. They are practice sketches.

Ai, thanks. I like the red glasses. I use them when I want a special drink or to celebrate something.

Sue - I like your choices for red & pink, nice work on the begonia leaves. Congratulations on giving the stippling a go - I have serious issues with patience and couldn't even attempt it - I love the dot, dash, and scribble result!

Ai - Great effect with your marker stippling, and fun sketches of the mortar and flower. Wonderful look with the markers on the bag of snacks - I love the shaded lines.

Joe - What amazing birds - I'd love to have those wandering around my garden! Brilliant sketch of a moving subject, and I really like the pose you've caught.

Jo - Lovely drawing of the pine cones, and gorgeous work on the dark red glass - beautiful colour! I envy your paper that wipes down so well - I'd do the same with all of mine if I could.

#2/3 - Something strong, something orange. Espresso mug and paint tube. Gouache/pastel, A2.
strongorange.jpg

We stop by a roadside moka pot cafe, and next to it, parked an old truck with a bunch of Thai sugar palm fruits ... so I sketch it down with black brush pen and add gray shadow of Pentel fude touch calligraphy pen.

#11 odd shape -- a bunch of Thai sugar palm fruits
h9_oddShape_a.jpg

h9_oddShape_b.jpg

Triss: Thanks... What a lovely combo of blue and orange. ... love the colors and the strong energy it gives out indeed.

Thanks for your comments on my efforts folks,

Ai, lovely set of sketches again, great finds for the prompts, Those Yellow Silk flowers are interesting - not come across those before. The sugar palm fruits were a good spot

Joe, great sketch and good catch, wildlife does have this bad habit of moving around when we try to use them as models :rolleyes:

Jo, lovely chunky red glass and the fir cones look good touched with light

Triss, loving the colour choices here - the orange and blue really pop - that coffee looks really strong I'd be bouncing off the walls and awake for days if I drank that :D

Ai - Wonderful drawing of the odd fruit shapes, and love your bold brush pen marks - great use of the strong B&W contrasts.

Sue - My mornings do involve more espressos than I like to count. As you can tell, it really improves my ability to draw smooth, even lines!

#4 - Something wet. English weather. Lovely grey and drizzly morning here, so no colour, and lots of torn paper. Assorted charcoals, A2.
charcoalfield.jpg

Triss - WOW! Putting bright clean compliments side by side makes it hard to take the eye away. Try to look at the rest of the picture and you keep getting pulled back. When I was on active duty we use to call those grey drizzly days Navy days as the sky was Navy grey all day. Love how you did the grass and bushes.

Ai - Another moka pot stop? Beginning to think you rival Triss in caffeine consumption.😂. Nice find on the sugar palm fruit. Like the style you use with the pens.

Thanks to all for the encouraging words. Much appreciated.

Keep sketching
Joe

Triss, Mmm, coffee, blue and orange sparkle. Love the textures. Your charcoal field is great. I can't do charcoal, it gets everywhere. I have enough trouble with ink on my fingers. Ha.

Ai, what fun odd shapes. Great find on your Hunt! I've never seen those, of course.

Like Joe says, thanks for all the encouraging words. I'll remember the Navy gray.

I sketched at the dining table with watercolors and a tiny bit of Prismacolor marker for the eyes and nose. (Got it on my fingers.)
Number 4, pink - my unillama with glitter.

csshfl9pink.jpg

Triss, Mmm, coffee, blue and orange sparkle. Love the textures. Your charcoal field is great. I can't do charcoal, it gets everywhere. I have enough trouble with ink on my fingers. Ha.

Ai, what fun odd shapes. Great find on your Hunt! I've never seen those, of course.

Like Joe says, thanks for all the encouraging words. I'll remember the Navy gray.

I sketched at the dining table with watercolors and a tiny bit of Prismacolor marker for the eyes and nose. (Got it on my fingers.)
Number 4, pink - my unillama with glitter.

View attachment 17377
Adorable!
How can use use pastels but not charcoal?

Joe

Adorable!
How can use use pastels but not charcoal?

Joe
Ha, I see your point. Pastels I wipe off or frame! Some sketches I keep between the pages of a magazine. I guess in reality, I just don't enjoy charcoal and somehow I'm much messier with it. Maybe a mental block.

1CB0061C-FE80-4E8A-A5E1-91E876ED683E.png

Sketch 4 my attempt at stippling (something that sparks joy. My dog Cersei I was drawing her but she’s a very excitable model. Stippling is a learned art form. Not great at it but it was fun to try. I’ll be back to comment in a bit.

Attachments

• 122F7108-E34E-4AB0-AECC-B88CBEF20C76.jpeg
    122F7108-E34E-4AB0-AECC-B88CBEF20C76.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 74
Back