Scavenger Hunt from Life #9 Jan 13 to Jan 21

Anne - You have definitely mastered the water soluble graphite. Excellent!

Ai - I thought it was tough capturing the white ibis the other day. Great job capturing those speeding boats. Thanks for the pictures.

Triss - Stunning. Amazing how color can add so much drama.

Sue - I have to ask. Was there any sampling involved? 😎 Clever working with the eraser. Feels like I am down there with you viewing it.

#4 Toy - Bert and Ernie finger puppets. HB pencil in pocket sketchbook. About 10-15 minutes.

D92513DD-FB28-4012-A516-5AFED35E50E6.jpeg
A1D24925-2845-4183-B2BE-DA0D4D0EB60B.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:

*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.

*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.

*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.

*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*Have fun!

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt #9 Jan 13– Jan 21

Something musical

Something rare

A bird

Something wet

Something you could (or did) find on a walk

Something that fixes

Something red

Something with a weird shape or texture

A toy

Something strong

Something delicate

A vessel

A ring

Something orange

Something pink

Something glass

Something eerie

Something that sparks joy

A landscape

Challenge:
Try Stippling one of your drawings (the creation of a pattern simulating varying degrees of solidity or shading by using small dots.)
Landscape, A5 rough sketch paper. Outlook past yesterday's coffee cup. Trying new technique recommended.
20220120_075142-02.jpeg

Jennie Jo - Yay! Oh a fun mug for my virtual collection. We had the fire mentioned and my collection burned. Gene (spouse) forbid another collection so started the virtual one with my artist friends. Of course after the 10 years I have a pretty large real collection again as I love cups and mugs. Well done on the landscape. Thanks for joining in.

Joe, oh, how fun to see Bert and Ernie. They were in a couple of questions on Jeopardy! yesterday. Well done.

Sue, nice work with the charcoal. Another thing I don't care to do. Great find. Don't drink much whisky but took a tour in Kentucky a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:

*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.

*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.

*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.

*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*Have fun!

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt #9 Jan 13– Jan 21

Something musical

Something rare

A bird

Something wet

Something you could (or did) find on a walk

Something that fixes

Something red

Something with a weird shape or texture

A toy

Something strong

Something delicate

A vessel

A ring

Something orange

Something pink

Something glass

Something eerie

Something that sparks joy

A landscape

Challenge:
Try Stippling one of your drawings (the creation of a pattern simulating varying degrees of solidity or shading by using small dots.)
Something that sparks joy. Decided to do a simpler sketch.
20220120_081517-01.jpeg

Jennie Jo - Yay! Oh a fun mug for my virtual collection. We had the fire mentioned and my collection burned. Gene (spouse) forbid another collection so started the virtual one with my artist friends. Of course after the 10 years I have a pretty large real collection again as I love cups and mugs. Well done on the landscape. Thanks for joining in.

Joe, oh, how fun to see Bert and Ernie. They were in a couple of questions on Jeopardy! yesterday. Well done.

Sue, nice work with the charcoal. Another thing I don't care to do. Great find. Don't drink much whisky but took a tour in Kentucky a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Many thanks, you are so kind. You've given me another reason to be joyous 😊

Nope, no tastings Joe - they were on offer but I can't stand whiskey courtesy of a veeeery bad New Year when I was still in my teens :(:eek::eek::(
Fun finger puppets, don't know Bert and Ernie but they make me smile

Jennie, glad you got your sketches to show, good to see them.

Thanks for the comments.

triss, I love your landscape. I especially like how you caught the reflection of the light on the water.

Jo, nice work on your pointillism mug.

Sue, nice effect "drawing" with your eraser. Love the way you captured the light on the barrels.

Jim, nice work on the finger puppets. They would be delighted to see such nice portraits of them. :)

Jennie, nice mug, landscape and tree.

#5, something strong (a lock on our door)
Ink & water-soluble graphite, about 4"x4"

20220119Sk6 Lock (SH9#5).png

Jennie jo - Good work on the ellipses for the cup. Like the landscape, the charcoal seems to gives it a foreboding Iook. Your sparks joy drawing has a flowing feel, almost like it is dancing.

Sue - when I lived in California we use to go to the vineyard tours and sample away. Sorry to hear about your New Year’s experience. Bert and Ernie are (were?) characters on a children’s show in the US.

Anne - love the shading you do with water soluble graphite. Need to find the ones I have and give them a try. Love the lock and the metallic feel.

Keep sketching
Joe

Super works, Joe, Jennie, and Anne.

Jennie: Welcome ... Wonderful sketches... ... and lovely softness to them.

Joe: Love Bart & Earnie drawing... they truly spark joy with me.

Anne: Wonderful soft but yet strong lock.

Last edited:
Yeah ... I think I did finish this Hunt list. For the "eerie" one, I sketch our tree axe from life ... but the additional eerie effect was the combo of drop/drap of Noodler's polar brown ink + Daler&Rowney acrylic artists scarlet ink

PS. It was quite eerie to have an axe on top of my desk... :rolleyes:

#18 music related -- a metronome, an equipment to play out consistent rythms/beats, to aid in music learning (Uhm.. how Mozart did all his compositions, without this equip.)
h9_music_related.jpg

#19 eerie -- 2b Conte charcoal pencil + dark brown cp + Noodler's brown ink + scarlet acrylic ink + tiny dabs of eraser

h9_eerie_b.jpg

h9_eerie_a.jpg

E1E6C6AE-A39A-458D-9362-BEF991A2DCFF.png

Sketch 5 Something Orange. Got a Star Wars backpack for Christmas, nice bright color Digital

Sue- I plan to look at the moon, galaxies, planets and wildlife with the telescope, thanks for asking
Triss - more wonderful landscapes! I really like how each one conveys a different time of day and evokes a different mood.

Joan- your water colors and ink are fantastic, I’m inspired to break mine out

Ai- I love your warm weather pictures. Flowers and swimming are two things I miss in winter. Great proportions on the coin and ring as well

Thanks for the compliments on my dog. I’ve always found dogs on the street. Cersei is the first dog I’ve raised from a puppy and it’s been great.

Joe- that wrench is really good, you got the hues and shading perfectly

Robin- I’ve had to get into cars more times than I’d like to count with coat hangers. Great job and clever use of the prompt. Your little stuffed animal looks wonderful.

Joe1- I love your perspectives for your chicken and Shepard. Nice mix!

Thank y’all for your kind words and for letting me host my first creative Spark hunt.

Yeah ... I think I did finish this Hunt list. For the "eerie" one, I sketch our tree axe from life ... but the additional eerie effect was the combo of drop/drap of Noodler's polar brown ink + Daler&Rowney acrylic artists scarlet ink

PS. It was quite eerie to have an axe on top of my desk... :rolleyes:

#18 music related -- a metronome, an equipment to play out consistent rythms/beats, to aid in music learning (Uhm.. how Mozart did all his compositions, without this equip.)
View attachment 17652

#19 eerie -- 2b Conte charcoal pencil + dark brown cp + Noodler's brown ink + scarlet acrylic ink + tiny dabs of eraser

View attachment 17653

View attachment 17654
Great sketches! You captured eerie very well!

Jennie jo - Good work on the ellipses for the cup. Like the landscape, the charcoal seems to gives it a foreboding Iook. Your sparks joy drawing has a flowing feel, almost like it is dancing.

Sue - when I lived in California we use to go to the vineyard tours and sample away. Sorry to hear about your New Year’s experience. Bert and Ernie are (were?) characters on a children’s show in the US.

Anne - love the shading you do with water soluble graphite. Need to find the ones I have and give them a try. Love the lock and the metallic feel.

Keep sketching
Joe
Your sparks joy drawing has a flowing feel, almost like it is dancing, Joe, that is why I stopped there. I thought it was just that.

Thanks for your kind comments on my charcoal sketch - it was fun to do although pretty cold there, I do enjoy getting messy with charcoal when I have chance to spend time on it,

Anne, lovely work on the lock, it looks very solid and a good shine

Ai, well done on finishing again. I can almost hear your metronome ticking and eek - axe on desk is def eerie

Mary, what a lovely bright and cheerful backpack. Thanks very much for hosting this week's Hunt and enjoy stargazing.

Joe - Fun sketch of the finger puppets! I like the lightly-drawn bodies with the focus kept on their faces,

JennieJo - Wonderful drawings, so glad you reposted them! I love the landscape - so much interesting stuff going on with all the shapes, and the lyrical lines in your tree sketch are beautiful.

ams - Great shading on the lock, and I'm really enjoying the texture you get from the water soluble graphite.

Ai - I like the bold, clean lines in the metronome sketch, very nicely drawn. And the bloodied axe made me laugh - brilliant choice!

Mary - Fab colour and bold design - and a very cool backpack! Thanks for hosting this week's hunt.

#5 - Something delicate. Shell. Actually did this one for the weekly challenge, but thought I'd stick in here for anyone interested in this week's oil/soft pastel ground experiments. This is oil pastel over the same acrylic/gesso mix I used for the last soft pastel sketch. The oil pastels were not happy with the surface. How surprising. A1-ish (wallpaper lining roll).
shellcs.jpg

Mary: Thanks. Wonderful vivid digi. backpack.

Triss: Thanks. Gorgeous shell piece. I love your ground, which feel velvety and soft glow of light. I like how you put the dark on the perimeter of the shell where it lays above the ground, perfect 3D effect. With its A1 size, this glorious baby should be framed !!!

Keep sketching
Joe
Thanks Joe. If you give them a try, just be careful with the water. I find that I don't want to use too much. I use a water brush for the small areas and a soft synthetic with the graphite mixed like a watercolor for the larger areas.

Triss, good choice for the delicate. Glad the same painting worked in both places.

Ai - Nice line work on the metronome. The axe is beyond eerie…more like scarey.

Mary - Love the back pack. What brushes did you use to get the texture? Really cool. Thanks for hosting.

Jennie Jo - Great minds think alike.

Triss - You have me worried …a bloody axe makes you laugh? 😲
The oil pastel may not have been happy with the surface, but you can sure be happy with the result.

Anne - Thanks for the heads up. The vast majority of my art is dry media. Something about brushes and me. But I am working on learning watercolors. I have tried many times before but this time I am sticking with it and practicing. The water is the hard part as well as using a brush.😎

Will post the new hunt later tonight so those on the other side of the earth get to start on the 21st.

Keep Sketching
Joe

Reactions: ams
Back