Scavenger Hunt from life #85 Sep 23 – Oct 1

Here is the re-do of my sketches. I'll return with comments:

hunt85-01.bjpg.jpg

Cheers,

Ai - lovely flowers
Jo - thank you . Lovely hanging items - including the unicorn
Joan - lovely :) OOoh the colour with the flag and sheep in the store window
Joe/Fletch - thank you. Oooh such lovely pliers.

Joan - Do you remember your favorite order at Jahn’s? Mine was A twosday. 2 small sundaes and a milkshake. The sundaes and drink were in glass but had a pewter looking holder to make it one piece.. My mother loved seltzer so she often got the Two-cent Plain. When a gang of us went we often ordered a Kitchen Sink. They were amazing. Never went to any of the other Jahn’s. Sad they went out of business. Hard to believe I closed as it seemed whenever you went you had to wait for a table because it was mobbed.

EP - Your needle nose rate a WOW,! The tape measure, hammer and wheels are good but the pliers are excellent.👍🏽

off to work on a sketch.
Fletch

Last edited:
EP, again the sketches are great. Why did you redo them? Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you noticed the sheep in the store window. Someday I need to do a close sketch of what is in their windows.

Fletch, I liked the "Joe Sent Me". Not sure of how many scoops but it was wonderful. :)

13 - needle nose pliers - sketch & wash pencil and watercolors

IMG_3511.jpeg

14 - measuring tape - watercolors and ink

IMG_3512.jpeg

Joan, thanks. The stuff hangs on the wall as no place to put them. Ha. I like your line drawings. I'm lazy to go out. Love the hanging lights. The corner is exquisite.

Fletch/Joe, thanks so much. I like your pliers, they complete my bunch. Gene ran the projectors at the theater for our movies for years. He was always short and small and when he applied for the job and put his age as 13 or 14, the lady said, "You have been paying the under 12 price for a long time, you will start out owing me money!" I think the under 12 was 10 cents and adult was 25 cents. Then she got him a work permit drivers license so he could take the trash to the dump in her old jeep.

eyepaint, don't know why you had a re-do on your sketches, but they are very nice. Your pliers add to our collection.

Joan, oooh, more pliers, excellent addition to the group. I like the measure. Love your and Joe's stories. Our drugstore had hand chipped ice and 5 cent cokes. We called any soft drink a coke. Nothing had fancy names. I think a sundae was $25. Didn't have those very often. I liked malts instead of milkshakes, served in the silver mixing can with a glass to pour it in. Mmmmm. The owner would roll dice in the mornings with the "men" for coffee. They sold the daily newspaper from Albuquerque.

I'm back with sketches. These are in the large Canson Mix Media sketchbook with Piochoo dual tip pens and a Micron 03. Lack of attention, watching an old Midsomer Murders show.

Number 12 wheel - on Gene's walker, I find the curves very hard and lose my way even when I pay attention.
Number 13 table leg - I've sketched this on the coffee table many times.
Number 14 has a capitol letter - a puzzle book
Number 14 vent or grate - on the ceiling

csshfl85wheel.jpg

The Urban Sketchers are in town. Tomorrow there will be sketchers, music, art, food and a lot going on downtown and the area. Bastrop is known for historic homes. I will go sketch in the old Bridges Building on main street at 430 p.m. for an hour or so. I like talking as much as sketching so we will see how much I get done. Ha.

Joe/Fletch - thank you
Joan - thank you. I do them again because I think I may understand the item a bit better and I try to sketch it again but better. Yahoo pliers and measuring tape
Jo - thank you. As I mentioned to Joan - I want to understand the item better. Yahoo for the corner of the table leg.

a pair of knees

did manage to sketch this morning on the new iPad with Apple Pencil….I love these new tools…..am not know what form..jpeg, pdf or what is good type or size to select….any tips or links to explain would be greatly appreciated

Jo, lol when we were kids we had no money for the movies. I think the only movie my mom took us to see was Bambi. Otherwise we went to one free movie around Christmas that one of the stores did for kids in this special program. You also got a book on your birthday. It was hard to do anything that cost money with 5 kids...but we never felt like we missed out on anything. My aunt always took us out individually for our birthdays and she took us to a show, a special dinner, a sleepover, and then a museum and lunch the next day. Oh, and when we were teenagers we usually went to see the Radio City Christmas Show that came with a movie. I think the first showing was 99 cents. Now it is a big thing if I go to the moves once a year. lol I like the walker wheel and the table leg. Nice capital letters.

EP, I don't get around to the indoor items too often, but we've had a lot of rainy days lately so I'm indoors more.

Robin, nice sketch of the knees. I bought an Apple Pencil when I bought my iPad, but I never even charged it up until this week. I finally bought Procreate, so maybe I will play around with it a little in the evenings when we are away. I did watch a youTube video and tried some things. I used Artrage before so I guess some things will be similar. It takes me a long time to get use to something new.

eyepaint, good for you for the do overs. I'm much to lazy, I just blunder on.....

Robin, congrats! On a good sketch and new tools. jpg is good for photos. Happy to see you sketching!

I sketched on the driveway watching for Gene to go by on his trike to give him a pill. In the BookFactory sketchbook with Micron 03 and Zig Millennium for color.
Number 16 steps or stairs - sub the bridge.
csshfl85steps.jpg

We will see what I get done downtown later.

Jo, lol when we were kids we had no money for the movies. I think the only movie my mom took us to see was Bambi. Otherwise we went to one free movie around Christmas that one of the stores did for kids in this special program. You also got a book on your birthday. It was hard to do anything that cost money with 5 kids...but we never felt like we missed out on anything. My aunt always took us out individually for our birthdays and she took us to a show, a special dinner, a sleepover, and then a museum and lunch the next day. Oh, and when we were teenagers we usually went to see the Radio City Christmas Show that came with a movie. I think the first showing was 99 cents. Now it is a big thing if I go to the moves once a year. lol I like the walker wheel and the table leg. Nice capital letters.

EP, I don't get around to the indoor items too often, but we've had a lot of rainy days lately so I'm indoors more.

Robin, nice sketch of the knees. I bought an Apple Pencil when I bought my iPad, but I never even charged it up until this week. I finally bought Procreate, so maybe I will play around with it a little in the evenings when we are away. I did watch a youTube video and tried some things. I used Artrage before so I guess some things will be similar. It takes me a long time to get use to something new.

Joan, (we cross posted) I like the pencil but use my fingers just as much. I think ArtRage has an app that you can sync between phone, computer and iPad, but may be wrong on that. One of them does. Ha. Have fun on the trip. I haven't been to a movie for about 3 years. We watch on TV and on HBO Max which is free with our Directv. Mostly we watch the Masterpiece mysteries and cop shows. Oh and of course Halllmark movies for the noise. Plots and actors all the same. My aunt introduced me to exotic foods like canned asparagus and spinach. Didn't like them until I had a chance to try fresh ones. We had regular garden veggies like tomatoes, carrots and green chile. Heh, heh.

Robin - that fellow is enjoying the phone conversation :)
Joan - ah I see. I enjoyed your comment to Jo about when you were young :)
Jo - thank you. Yahoo for the red flag on the mailbox :)

Jo, I always enjoy seeing your outdoor sketches. I'm picturing you handing off the pill to Gene like passing a baton in a relay race. lol
One of the reasons we rarely go to the movies is that there are so many on the premium channels we get...and then most of them aren't very good anyway. We try to see the movies that you really want to see on a BIG screen. I don't know how I got introduced to asparagus. I know it wasn't when I was a kid. I wasn't a very adventurous eater. Loved tomato sauce on pasta and pizza but didn't eat a fresh whole tomato until a friend brought me some that her dad grew in his garden. Then I was hooked.

EP, I'm glad you enjoyed the conversation. It is fun to think about things from when we were young.

We had another rainy say but I needed to get out and sketch. I went to one of the coffee places in Sayville. These two groups qualify as

15 - two pairs of people - watercolors and ink (I think the couple on the right were either on a blind date or a first date. They sat near me and I got to hear the story of their lives. lol_

IMG_3514.jpeg

oh, :) I've got catching up to do here. I drew this morning but the sketchbook is out in the car, maybe I'll post it tomorrow. Right now I'm sidetracked making a print for "world cyanotype day", which is today. My print needs more sunshine if it's going to be done today, and the sun has been behind clouds for the past hour but looks like it might peek out again :) ( It did! I'm going to have to hop up every few minutes to make sure it stays in the sun... )

On the car fiasco, it might be fixed but the light came back on for a little while on Tuesday. I did a "calibration" and the light turned off a couple hours later and hasn't come on again since then. I don't completely trust it yet, not for a long trip. Maybe I'll drive somewhere further next week as a test.

Ai -- Thanks! That rocky beach is about a 20 minute drive from my house. There's a long sandy beach a few minutes closer and there are many miles of rocky shoreline further North. The workers in the truck is a great "quick impression". The forest nook is great. Do you have the paper ready with the tape ahead of time? Love the colorful flowers!

Joan -- Like the Blue Point watercolor. I like the way the greens and grays work on the right for that tree. The vegetables are great, I like the darks in the radishes. I like when you post the "simple looking" ink drawings too, and that street corner watercolor is gorgeous. And of course pliers :) The Sayville coffee house has great "RL" lively feel to it.

Pine Cone -- hi! Thanks for making me chuckle. :)

Jo -- I like your sketches all in ink or with dabs of color. good table corner and glasses and the pillow is wild-looking. Whenever you use pastels it looks so painterly and the bright colors are really nice. Ha, I can't imagine trying to draw while watching TV... it sounds impossible to me. The ink with 2 flags is great ( with the clouds floating above too ).

EP -- hi! LIke all the sketches. everyone is doing the needle nose pliers now I have to go find mine. The 're-do" pliers are great.

Fletch -- more needle nose pliers! :) nice shading on it!

Robin -- that sketch is really cool! Love the way the top of the head is, it's so expressive.

Great works: Joan, Jo, Robin, EP.

Ned: I normally leave my house (to work or not) with a small sketch tote. Someday I don't get to sketch at all. but sometimes, I have a short moment to record, even a small leaf... I'm happy. If I lucky to be to go to a place like a cafe, I would try to pick the one with real plant surrounding, to increase my chance of sketching. Love to hear of your ocean short drive. Such an exotic beach.

Ned, I hope you get some sunshine for your cyanotype print to work. Hope you post it when it is done, even if it doesn't fit the hunt. Thanks for your comments about my sketches.

Ai, it helps to be prepared when that opportunity to sketch happens. Bringing along a small sketch tote is a great idea. Now we know your secret to getting so many sketches done around your work campus.

Joe: Thanks so much for sub. for Robin. and thanks for hosting this Hunt.

Back