Scavenger Hunt from life #85 Sep 23 – Oct 1

jmfletch

RL probably has Robin trapped so here is a repost of one she did over 5 years ago. I just missed all of the last hunt so I can relate. Everyone please feel free to jump in and help hosting.

If you’ve done at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one, we’d really appreciate it! You can sign up by posting your name and the current hosting list stickie on Artwork from Life forum.

Rules for Hunting:
* All items on the list must be sketched from life–not imagination nor photo references
* Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed to by unanimous vote among the participants
* You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count those objects as separate list items, but no single object can count for more than one list item.
* All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you sketch and post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few items as you like; you don’t have to finish the entire list to participate! You don’t have to comment on every post, but comment, if and when you can.

Scavenger Hunts last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you to do each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are also welcome!
:wave:

1. – Back of something
2. – Bottom of something
3. – has complex outline
4. – has simple outline
5, 6, 7 – 3 overlapping objects
8. – a pair of ?
9. – plant life
10. – rock
11. – cleaning tool
12. – hammer
13. – measuring tape
14. – has a capitol letter on it
15. – needlenose pliers
16. – toes
17. – table leg
18. – corner – item or room
19. – broom
20. – stairs, steps
21. – light bulb
22. – wheel
23. – vent, grate or screen
24. – hanging
25. – it slides
26. – it clicks
Challenge do different medium than your regular

Last edited:
Thanks Fletch!

Totally understand how RL gets busy or crazy. I'm starting to think Seattle might not be until mid-October or maybe I'll just wait until April. I was hoping to be up there by mid-September before the rains really get going. The good thing about being retired is that it doesn't really matter... there are other great places if it's gloomy up there, or it's pretty great here where I live too. Or maybe the sun will come out and my car will be fixed and I'll just go :)

Joan -- yay plant life and I always like your gulls!

#1 Rock ( can you find the 2 seals on one of them? )
IMG_1722rs.jpg

oh, pocket sketchbook, uniball vision pen and ink wash from two mini water brushes filled with diluted india ink. That's my little "kit" that fits in my pocket when I'm walking. Now I've got the pocket watercolor kit to go with it but didn't use it today.

Last edited:
Thanks Joe for stepping in place for Robin.

Joan and Ned: Fantastic plein air sketches to start this Hunt.

Jo: Hey... I just organize my art room, still more decluttering to do there and around the house... but glad I did it. Love your previous sketch of before and after office organizing... I did not sketch my before though !!!

The girls just start their mini school break. So tonight we took them out to celebrate their school break at my favorite red theme pizza place. I sketched there with directwatercolor.

#1 complex shape --a chair
#2 simple shape -- a pizza

1000020535.jpg

1000020536.jpg

Joan - Again I love when you break the frame. It’s like a frame cannot hold all the beauty. Testing my “Lawn Guylan” geography. Smith Point is out near Mastic? I know there was a bridge out that way but forget the name.

Ned - You are developing quite a portfolio of beautiful coastal drawings. The differences between coasts with Joan’s work are fun to see too. I could not find the seals.☹️

Ai - Great shading on the chair. Yummy pizza. You are always painting food and claim to eat it. How do you not weigh 300 lbs?

Jo, Pine Cone, Lurkers - 👋🏽 👋🏽 👋🏽

Keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
Joan, great scene along Smith Point. Nice dark shadows but with color.

Ned, look at you go with your ink wash. I should try that. Yes I see the seals. Excellent sketch. Hope you get in a vacation, if not a stay-cation is always a good replacement. That is our situation with no traveling. I was looking at some of my 27,900 photos that are on my computer. I have more on a hard drive. Ha. My stay-cation.

Ai, hi there. Happy you are getting organized. I haven't got past my desk yet! Love the red chair. Don't think the pizza is all that simple at least for me. Ha. Very nice.

👋 to Fletch and others.

Okay, took Sharon to the dentist, did not bring sketchbook but had iPad and after seeing Pine Cone’s grass and tree bark I figured it was a good time to see what remains of my mediocre digital skills.

#1 pair -wanted to avoid undo and delete so treated it more Ike pen until I was finished than used some eraser. “Borrowed” that approach from Pine Cone. Procreate and Apple Pencil only 1 layer.l

IMG_2014.jpeg

#2 Plant life - Procreate and Apple Pencil but played with layers, brushes, etc. Did not expect to finish this one as time was almost up. Made a layer over original sketch. Used it to clean up lines. Made another layer to add color and play with brushes. Added “pot”, as Sharon waited, to make it not look like it was floating.

IMG_2013.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch and

Hi joe1lt. Nice to see you.

Fletch, super iPad sketches. I like the chairs. I always work in only one layer, no interest in learning more. Ha. Your chairs have good perspective. The plant in layers is very good, too. Nice you had your iPad with you.

I sketched in the BookFactory sketchbook with a Micron 02 and added colored ink with Zig Millennium.
Number 1 tape measure
Number 2 hammer
Number 3 needle nose pliers

csshfl85hammer.jpg

Ned, great sketch of those great rocks. I like the idea of your sketch kit as well as your attitude about where you are.

Ai, yum for the pizza and I like the lines of the chair. Hope the girls enjoy their break!

Fletch, you have a good memory of the area considering you have been gone so long. We just call it the Smith Point Bridge. I don't know if it has another fancier name. lol Your digital skills are still pretty good. Nice work on the plant and the pair of chairs. It's good to be able to do some waitsketching.

Jo, thanks. Mmm...a collection of needle-nosed pliers. A bonus point for that! Good job on that useful tape measure and the hammer.

Sitting on the couch being lazy on a rainy afternoon. Spent a long time at the Apple Store today getting an iPad for Jerry to bring on the trip. Guess who will have to show him how to use it? lol Maybe I'll pick up a pen or brush and do some sketching now. Didn't get to sketch outdoors today.

OK here are a few quick sketches.

2 - back of somethingIMG_0027.jpegIMG_0025.jpeg

3 - bottom of something - watercolors and sketch and wash pencil

IMG_0028.jpegIMG_0026.jpeg

This is what she looks like from the front.

IMG_0024.jpeg

4 - toes - watercolors and wc pencil

IMG_0029.jpeg

Hi Friends, Thanks Fletch……. yep, real life has me hemmed in……sorry I couldn’t be here with you all…..I am learning a lot about life and myself and that creativity does have a place that is hard to get to sometimes. Glad for you all carrying on.

Thanks for the well wishes…I am fine . Hubby is just barely able to stand and use walker a little. He has kidney disease result of diabetes 2.
We use the travel chair a lot . So we spend a lot of time just eating and cleaning up…….what can I say……getting old ain’t for sissies. The hospice folks are super saints. The pets are one of our chief joys . One of the cats follows and sits with Tom every chance . But his cat can only come in when the bunny is in safe zone.
I really enjoy seeing everyone’s work and comments . I realise how much you and this place all bring to my life….so thankful .

Ai -- wow I'm impressed by the direct watercolor chair. Nice shape and leaving the white space!

Joe -- I like the way the coloring/shading looks on that plant. Cool sketch!

Jo -- oh :) you spotted the seals! Right now I'll be happy whatever happens but thanks for the reminder that I should try to travel while I can. My wife is going to retire in 2 years so real travel will wait until then. Nice pile of tools! I think my daughter has some of those zig pens, never tried them.

Joan -- thanks! I like the texture/shading/depth ( honestly I'm not exactly sure what I like about it, I just do! ) on #3 the bottom of that crazy looking doll. I am often struck by how drawings can somehow have more interest than the thing itself.

I spent the entire day at the dealer mechanic. In the afternoon ( I'd already been there more than 4 hours ) they told me they needed to do an alignment that would take another 2 hours... so I walked back over to that Copper Beech tree again, but when I sat on the bench I realized my sketchbook was still in my car and not in my knapsack :( The good thing is that I got lots of exercise.

Joan - Again I love when you break the frame. It’s like a frame cannot hold all the beauty.

Joan — I agree with this 🔼 comment by Fletch! Love the wild, windswept disarray of your Marina sketch!

Ned — I found the seals 😍 Your sketch is fantastic - somehow the moody way you've been sketching the shore matches the feel of the shore itself - really wonderful to see your sketches, and also brings back many memories of my time on the edge of my little part of the world 😌

Ai — Kudos for organizing your art room 👏 Yuummmy pizza!!! Terrific sketch, and chair as well!

joe1lt👋

Fletch — Ooo, wonderful sketches, and I'm studying them for perspective and for "life-ness" I guess you could say... [for those who don't know, Fletch is the one who originally talked me into buying my first iPadPro so I could learn ProCreate after I lost the use of my computer and Corel Painter long ago]. Love the perfect perspective in your sketch of the chairs and walls, and the fullness and feeling of growth in the plant. I feel like the plant is right here and I could reach out and feel the leaves, wow!!! I've missed your ProCreate sketches!!! Thank you for these 😌

All — I'm running out of charge 😳 so I'll be back later with more comments, starting with post #12 (for my own reference)...

Joe: Thank you. Ha ha... I sketch food often because I don't go far places much. Just go to market to get some produce and a few occasions of eating out with my family. I also have to watch myself for pre-diabetics. Fantastic on your digi. the chairs are elegant and the plant is fabulous.

Joan: Thank you. What a wonderful set of doll sketches in many views... Thanks for the real photo too. Nice toe captured.

Jo: Thanks. Wonderful still-life of hardware items.

Ned: Thanks. How far do you live from the rock ocean. Now not only you see ocean + rock + seals.... Wowza... BTW, I was not sure what location was the seal.

PineCone: Thank you. Hope you got recharged soon.

Robin: My positive art vibe goes your way.

Back