Scavenger Hunt from Life #7 -- Dec 28 - Jan5, 2022

EP, that foam roller looks like the massage tool my sister had told me to get after my surgery. It is probably the only thing I didn't buy. lol I've heard of Tim Horton's but have never been to one. My nephew's wife is from Kincaid, Saskatchewan but they are living in Latvia and came in to visit her family for Christmas. From the airport to her parent's house they stopped at Tim Hortons twice. I guess she missed it.

7 - healthy broccoli - direct watercolor
IMG_9300.jpeg

8 - I'd like to leave behind in 2021 - sketch & wash pencil
IMG_9299.jpeg

Joan, what a fancy lady! Was this a model for a sketching group? She looks like she was fun to sketch.

Robin, you have been busy. Good work on all of the ink sketches. Trailer hitch was a great idea for something simple and good. Interesting sketch of the snack. Your cat looks like she might steal the sardines if you don't watch her carefully. I smiled at your goodbye garbage. I'm sure you will be glad to see this gone. I like your vehicle and house.

Jo, these were hooked up to a reel to reel tape deck at one time too. Hope your were able to get your pastels done in time.

Joan, cookies look yummy.

EP, you won't be hungry with all these goodies.

Joan, your broccoli came out well. I agree with the leave behind!

#8 Want to share all of the things I have learned about eating a whole food plant-based diet.

Ink & water-soluble graphite wash. Still having some perspective problems but I'll keep working on it! I get it sketched out thinking about the vanishing points and then I start to "fix" it and mess it all up. :(

SH7-8.jpg

Awesome works of sketches everyone. Love your dancing lines, shading, witty subjects.. such impressive variety.

Joan, what great cookies. I could eat a few. I hope the artists tip Lucy. Reminders are good. When we go to live music people don't tip much until the jar is passed around. Your broccoli makes me want to eat some. I haven't liked it as much the last few years. Think I overdid. Ha. I'm not sketching anything from the virus time.

EP, oh, I miss Tim Horton's. Mmmm apples. I like your choices and well done as a still life.

Anne, the books are so well shadowed and lettered. Not bad on perspective without actually drawing the perspective lines. Well done! I did finish the pastels. Whew. I will post them maybe today.

Reactions: ams
I did a couple more...

Water-soluble graphite on Stillman & Birn Alpha. I tried these without the ink but I think I like the ink & wash look better.

#9 Simple but good - paper clip
#10 Make someone smile - a phone call

SH7-9,10.jpg

thank you all for the nice words.
Joan, yes, the angel holding a concertina.

Ams, Joan, Robin, Eyepaint, you have posted very beautiful works

Anne: Lovely sketches of the paper clip and the phone ... so true of their meaning... great choices

Sorry folks for being absent from action, I feel a bit tired and have been taking some down time before a new semester starts again in 10 days.

Anne, wow on the paper clips. Hard for me. We haven't had an actual landline since we moved here 10 years ago. Nice work.

Ai, enjoy some down time. You deserve a nice rest. Recharge!

I sketched at the dining table in a big Canson regular paper sketchbook 9 x 12 inches with the Sharpie pen.
Number 6 snack - donuts. We hardly ever have them and then I get 4 for two days of indulgence. These are three and four. Jelly filled for me and chocolate with cream filling for Gene. Today was a regular donut for me and an eclair for Gene.

Oh, I posted my three pastels in the pastel forum if you care to look..
https://creativespark.art/threads/three-soft-pastels-for-pastel-juried-show.3104/#post-52792

csshfl7snack.jpg

Thanks Joe1, Ai and Jo for your comments.

Jo, we still have a landline because we have DSL over the phone lines for our internet. We are fairly high up on a hill and can get 20-30 TV stations with an antenna so we don't subscribe to any cable. It can be challenging to find a phone though. The paper clips were some giant ones that made it much easier to see and draw! Nice drawing of the donuts.

Anne, thanks. Yes, Lucy models live on her Zoom page. She started with Covid lockdowns kept everyone from going out. She posed for the Society of Illustrators in NYC and knew a few people I know through Urban Sketchers. They told me about the sessions. We never know from week to week what she will be wearing. She is a burlesque model too so some of her outfits are quite unsual...some are wild and some are elegant. She has done this for nearly 2 years now and basically for free. Great book sketches. I love the details on the cover and the spine. What kind/color ink are you using? It is so nicely subtle. Good thinking for makes someone smile. I still have a land line as well as my cell phone. It makes it easier to have a phone in more than one room.

Ai, thanks. Take some time to relax before the new semester starts.

Jo, thank you. I tossed most of the cookies that were left into the trash. I was eating too many of them and once I started on them in the evening I couldn't stop. I had no control. Yum...donuts! I would go for the chocolate covered creme filled on like Gene. I really can't remember the last time I had a donut. Great pastels...all three of them. Love the wet path that draws your eyes into the scene and the lighting on the two florals. Good luck!

Joe 1, thanks!

9 - building -watercolors
10 - nature of some sort (dried hydrangeas, bushes, trees)
IMG_9307.jpeg

Anne, thanks. Yes, Lucy models live on her Zoom page. She started with Covid lockdowns kept everyone from going out. She posed for the Society of Illustrators in NYC and knew a few people I know through Urban Sketchers. They told me about the sessions. We never know from week to week what she will be wearing. She is a burlesque model too so some of her outfits are quite unsual...some are wild and some are elegant. She has done this for nearly 2 years now and basically for free. Great book sketches. I love the details on the cover and the spine. What kind/color ink are you using? It is so nicely subtle. Good thinking for makes someone smile. I still have a land line as well as my cell phone. It makes it easier to have a phone in more than one room.
Joan, it sounds as if you have access to an interesting model. How delightful.

I have been using a Micron 01 or 005 for the ink work. The graphite areas are done with Derwent Sketching Pencils in Light, Medium and Dark Wash. I block in my initial sketch using a standard pencil, then ink over it so I can erase the original pencil lines. Then I do the shading with the water-soluble sketching pencils and activate with a water brush. I have working in a Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook that is All Media. It doesn't absorb much and has a surface similar to drawing paper. It works well for this type of work but wouldn't work if you use much water the way you would for a watercolor sketch. I just ordered a tin of Art Graf water-soluble graphite that should feel similar to a pan watercolor. Right now, if I want to use a regular brush for a larger area I have to scribble pencil on paper, pick it up with a damp brush and mix a solution of color The art graf should make that easier.

I agree that landlines have the advantage of multiple extensions. That's another good reason to have it.

Nice painting for building and nature. There's not as much nature around in the winter but you managed to find some.

Anne, I was curious as to whether you were using black or grey ink. It isn't as bold as black ink usually is...or maybe that is just part of your great style. Thanks for your comment on my sketch.

I just posted Hunt #8 so it would be up for those people who live outside the USA where it is already tomorrow. You can still work on this hunt tomorrow too. Have fun!!

wow, it always seems like these hunts go by so fast!
enjoyed looking at all the sketches!

wow, great variety....tanks everyone for sharing and thanks Jo for hosting
jo—thanks for sharing the gray set with us...update as you use them please..It is amazing how much gray adds . I love the couple under the umbrella sketch a lot...so many sketchy lines holding it snug....energy and detail under the umbrella way above...

JmFl- love Sharons expression. SO glad you gots a good partner. I have a exceptional good one now for two years. Have hinted about sketching him with dubious results...think I will try the direct approach today!

ams lovely inst pot Great earbuds!,, inviting books look soft just to pick up and read

Joan in the drivers seat is really nice, two figures talking is a good catch, I simply ADORE the heavy contrast with the cookies! The rich broccoli is oozing nutrients

Ai - thanks and happy new year to you too...lovely sketch of the two sitting sisters

joe1-it is evident you really enjoy sketching figurines. Interés line and circle play

nedL wow, big sky!! Envy you and the location, nice job too

ep - ahh, love the two towers and the apple!,,sweet composition

see y’all in the next sketch...

I squeeze in this batch before this Hunt ends in Thailand time...
#2 simple & good -- a cup of tea
#3 healthy -- stretching with yoga mat and exercise ball
#4 leave behind in 2021 -- some clutters at home
#5 look forward to in 2022 -- filling up my awaiting unused or partial used sketchbooks...

h7_p3.jpg

h7_p2.jpg

Last edited:
Anne, I was curious as to whether you were using black or grey ink. It isn't as bold as black ink usually is...or maybe that is just part of your great style. Thanks for your comment on my sketch.
I guess I went into more detail than you needed. :oops: It was a little difficult to answer since my "ink" wasn't really ink. Thanks for your comment on my style.

Robin, thanks for your comment.

Ai, fun last minute sketches. I got a chuckle out of your unused sketch books. Scavenger Hunts can certainly go through them. Up until now, my sketchbooks would last over a year, but I'm sure this one won't last that long. Thanks for hosting this week.

My last entry for this Hunt. I finished it last night but didn't have time to post it.

Ink & water-soluble graphite in Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook. This is a little beanie baby I bought years ago who is always ready to model. I think he is cute and always enjoy drawing him.

SH7-11 Teddy.jpg

Thanks so much Anne.... beautiful teddy bear.

Last edited:
Back