Scavenger Hunt from Life #7 -- Dec 28 - Jan5, 2022

Anne: Lovely insta. pot and teapot. Nice shading. The Insta.pot has been on my wish-list but since my crock-pot is still working ... so I have been waiting... I will check out your recipe. Thanks.

Joe: Great take on Sharon in digi. Portrait is always challenging esp. our love one as we know the person so well... Just keep doing it and sharing it, pls.

Joan: Beautiful figure in the car... nice sprout in directwatercolor.

Reactions: ams
Ai, thank you very much for the new list.
Nedl, Joe, ams, Joan, Jo, great hunting start

Thanks, everyone.

Joe, ahh, love the sketch of your wife. Makes me smile and to know her a bit more! The Blick Markers are ok on heavy paper. They bleed through. They washed of my hands so may not be permanent! Haven't used them enough to say if I will like them. I don't think they will blend but will see.

Anne, the instant pot and tea pot are fun and well done. I shared the recipes with my daughter that eats mostly soup. She belongs to some thing that she gets vegetables every week and different ones.

Joan, the mobile studio is serving you well. Love the guy in the car and your other figures. Mmmm, brussell sprouts. Well done.

I sketched in the mobile studio while waiting for our dinner yesterday. We usually order and in the time we drive it is ready. Yesterday they forgot me I guess and I thought I would do a quick sketch, ended up doing two and realized all of a sudden that I had been waiting about 40 minutes. Called in and they brought it right out, it had been sitting there for at least half an hour. It was a salad so not too bad. Glad it wasn't something supposed to be warm.

Sharpie pen in the 6 x 8 inch travel sketchbook.
Number 3 - figures on the deck (it was about 80 degrees yesterday)
Number 4, building - health/vitamin shop??
Number 5, heavy - the van with folks in the restaurant.

csshfl7figures.jpg

shfl7building.jpg

Anne: Lovely insta. pot and teapot. Nice shading. The Insta.pot has been on my wish-list but since my crock-pot is still working ... so I have been waiting... I will check out your recipe. Thanks.
Thanks Ai. I got the Instant Pot a few years ago. I wouldn't get it until I found it a "home" in my kitchen. I ended up retiring my crock-pot since the Instant Pot has a crock-pot setting. I donated it to the thrift store so someone else could use it. The recipes all have two versions, one for the Instant Pot and the other for a regular soup pot.

Anne, the instant pot and tea pot are fun and well done. I shared the recipes with my daughter that eats mostly soup. She belongs to some thing that she gets vegetables every week and different ones.

Jo, what a funny story with your dinner pick-up. It's amazing how quickly the time passes when you start to sketch. Glad it was just a salad so it was still good. I hope your daughter enjoys the soup recipes. I enjoyed creating them and my husband and I enjoy eating them.

Jo, they are both beautiful designs, I like them so much.

1friend or any figure
2 animal or pet

done these,
1, the figure, is a shepherdess of the crib.

2 some animal figurines but also a little 1

2021-12-31 18-57_pagina_1.jpg

2021-12-31 18-57_pagina_2.jpg

Joe1, Nice work on the shepherdess and animals. What a clever idea to use these for your models this week.

Mine are ink and water-soluble pencil on Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook.

For #3 and #4, I have a heavy and light way to listen to music.

#3 Heavy: a very heavy speaker that I can barely lift. We have 4 of these! I had a little trouble with the perspective on this. I can see that is an area I will need to work on.
#4 Light: ear buds for my computer.

20211231Sk6 SH7-3,4.jpg

Thanks, Anne!

Here is my last plein air of 2021 done down by the beach in Sayville...of course from my mobile studio.

Happy New Year, everyone!!!

IMG_9287.jpeg

Joe 1, I like your figures. The animal figurines always make me smile.

Anne, those are some heavy speakers. We don't have any around that we use any more. Good sketch of the earbuds. I can't get that kind to stay in my ears. I need the ones that loop over your ears.

We are heading out to one night at our cabin. I sketch the kids at the roadside cafe... done in directwatercolor...on 6×9 inch sketchbook.

#1 Family
20220101_104409.jpg

Last edited:
Happy New Year to all the good folks here in "Hunt from Life"

Anne -- well I thought an instant pot was a crock pot so that shows what I know! I like the shading on the tea pot.

Joan -- thanks, that's helpful to me. Sometimes I turn the fountain pen over to make thinner lines or broken lines in the distance... It took me a second to realize I was seeing the inside of your mobile studio ... like that one. The figures are great. Brussels sprouts are one of my favorites.

Jo -- love those sketches, especially the 2nd one has an excellent spontaneous feel to it ( the van is in a hurry :) ) Wow 80 degrees... we had frost this morning.

Joe1 -- always enjoy seeing your sketches!

Anne again -- I think it's good... it looks a bit short on the front but in my opinion a little wonky perspective or slightly out-of-proportion things gives a drawing some character too.... ( I'd be tempted to give up if there wasn't some truth to that :) )

Joan again -- lovely scene I like the palette

Ai -- happy new year to you, it's still 2021 in California but I think you are already in 2022! Awesome watercolor.

I got out to my favorite beach today... started to draw the boulders but it was too windy to keep going... but there was a great low tide ( can't get to this place if the tide is not low enough or if the waves are too big ) and a happy place to get to on the last day of 2021.

#2 partially done Boulders
IMG_1220rs.jpg

thank you all,happy New Year to everyone
ams, Joan, Ai, Nedl, good jobs.
Happy New Year.
3 feather or light, is a winged pasterello, a winged angel (feather) that plays.

it is the same drawn twice, with different pencils. on paper a4

2022-01-01 00-15_pagina_1.jpg
2022-01-01 00-15_pagina_2.jpg

Last edited:
Joan, thanks for your comments about the speakers. We don't actually use the speakers anymore but we got so used to them being there as a surface to put things on, we just left them.
I liked your painting of the beach.

Ai, nice cafe sketch.

Ned, chuckled at your comment about the Instant Pot. I didn't know what it was the first time I heard about it either. I had to look it up online. Thanks for your encouragement about the perspective. Nice twist to just decide it has "character." Nice quick sketch of the boulders. Too bad it was too windy to spend more time there but at least the tide cooperated.

Joe1, cute little angel so light she is floating in the air!

#5 Healthy
#6 Leave behind in 2021
#7 Good for you
Ink and water-soluble graphite

Sh7-5,6,7.jpg

Last edited:
Happy New Year, everyone!

Ai, nice sketch of the girls. You are lucky to have a place to get away to.

Ned, thank you. I turn some of my fountain pens over to get the thinner line...some work better than others. Love the boulders!! Be careful the tide doesn't sneak up on you. It has happened to me. lol I was hoping to get to the ocean today for the first day of the new year, but we are having rain here today so I decided it was too damp. I'm glad I got there the other day. It feeds my soul.

Joe 1, I like your angel sketches. Is the angel holding a concertina?

Anne, nice sketches. Your bottle of hand sanitizer is shaded so well.

5 - free choice #1 - watercolors and ink
IMG_9272.jpeg

Hi- lots of good work, will comment later
heavy, anvil
exercise dumbbells
simple trailer hitch ball
snack pigs ear for dog
pehealthy sardines
free choice #1 detail of mermaid on sardine can
goodbye2021 bags of trash and styro
bldg
vehicle
B2BF1529-E45F-4091-AA98-6AF13F5243DE.jpeg
570CBD70-DE6F-43F5-A92B-23FE263D6E5D.jpeg
22FF3C3A-27E0-495A-8335-86AB691060DA.jpeg
D296E0F3-32EE-4A46-83DA-6093D2EA536F.jpeg

joe1lt, love the shepherdress and your other tiny models. Make me smile. Love the fying angel.

Anne, great job on the speaker. We had those with a reel to reel tape deck! Nice earbuds too, see the shine.I like your choice for healthy and leave behind. Gene loves carrots, me, not so much.

Joan, I like the New Year's plein air. Lucy always seems to pose for the Hunts. Nice.

Ai, awww, love the girls.

Ned, fabulous place to sketch. Great gestures on the rocks.

Robin, what a find for heavy. I thing Gene has an anvil in the garage. Your other choices and the trash made me chuckle. I love your style of hatching.

I've been doing pastels for a competition and they are not from life....so don't fit here. Maybe later when I finish the paintings, I'll post the three in the pastel forum, deadline tomorrow!!

Robin, I've always loved your sketches. These are great! For some reason I'm really attracted to the pile of trash bags...so evocative of this time of gift wrapping remains and cleaning up after parties and celebrations.

Jo, thanks. Are you doing more than one pastel for the competition. I'd love to see them when you are done. Yes, Lucy is good to have as a model although she's got a lot of projects going on right now so she is cutting back her modeling for us to just twice a month. I can't blame her. She's been posing basically for free (I think most of us do tip her.) almost since Covid started.

6 - want to share (Anyone for a cookie or two?) - watercolors

IMG_9294.jpeg

Ned - Ooh lovely structure - thank you for the photo but I enjoy your sketch more than the photo ... your sketch shows a personality of the structure. There is also such personality on those boulders!
Jo - yahoo with nature view out the winow (with geraniums?) - oh you have a mobile studio too! Look at that!
Joe - awwww your bride :)
Anne - your instant pot has shine! Oooh teapot. I've seen some people using a crock pot for yarn-dyeing :) Great job on the heavy speaker and light ear buds. Great job on the pump for your hand sanitizer.
Joan - yahoo for figures from your mobile studio! Brussel sprouts on the stalk! Lovely Lucy with her fluffy wrap :) Mmm seasonal baked goods :)
joe1lt - awww kung-fu panda, daffy duck, eeyore ... awww little angels :)
Ai - love that sketch at the coffee bar :)
RobinSusan - yay an anvil! Glad you called the pigs ear a snack for the dog. Yahoo for the trash pile.

Back