Scavenger Hunt from Life #7 -- Dec 28 - Jan5, 2022

AiArts

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Scavenger Hunt from Life #7: Dec 28 - Jan 5, 2022
-----------------------------------------------------------
friend or any figure
family or multiple figures
animal or pet
food
drink
snack
treat
healthy
exercise
leave behind in 2021
look forward to in 2022
your wish or New Year's resolution
free choice#1
brighten up your day
you like to do to bring a smile in other
feather or light
boulder or heavy
nature of some sort
simple and good
want to share
want to learn
structure or building
vehicle or carriage or ride
good for you
free choice#2
sustainable or good to the earth

PS. Feel free to substitute for any item.

Happy New Year 2022 everyone ... I wish everyone another happy healthy year and endless art energy.

Ai, thanks so much for the new list that will take us into 2022! It is so great to be here hunting and sketching with everyone!!

Thanks, Ai, for the list.
I sketched on the porch in a regular sketchbook with a regular Pilot ballpoint pen.

Number 1, family - Gene at his computer .. never looks much like him. He is a nice model and doesn't complain too much.

csshfl7family.jpg

Hi Ai - thank you for the new list. I hope to get something done in the next few days. Thank you for the kind blessing for more art energy in 2022.

Jo - aww there is the wonderful model, Gene, wearing a shirt that says "defund politicians" LOL

Thanks, Ai, for the list.
I sketched on the porch in a regular sketchbook with a regular Pilot ballpoint pen.

Number 1, family - Gene at his computer .. never looks much like him. He is a nice model and doesn't complain too much.

View attachment 16094
Jo - Don’t sell yourself short. I would have guessed it was Gene. 😎 Lots of clues. Beard. Sitting on porch. Computer. And the T-shirt!🤣

Thanks for the list Ai
Jo- that’s a nice sketch of Gene, looks like you keep him happy, you are lucky he models for ya.

I noticed this is hunt #7...so I guess ya’ll just started doing these? I am really glad....

Jo -- Not sure how much your sketches look like Gene :), but I recognize him from earlier sketches... it seems to me you must be getting the essentials right! I've been too scared to try to draw people or figures so far, and I'm going to try to overcome that this year... now that I think of it, that would be a good "new years resolution".

Joe -- that reminds me of something. I think I remember you posted a picture one time that had a whole bunch of little figures ... maybe like "carrot people" or other shapes or silhouettes in different poses or postures? Am I remembering right? Do you know what I'm thinking of?

It is a cold and gray rainy day here today. I went up to the Russian River and sketched this thing from my car while waiting to see if it would stop raining enough to go for a walk. I want to learn how to put more attention on the center of interest in my sketches and less attention to the surroundings, and I was thinking about that before I started, but forgot. I often don't know when to stop. At least this time I had an excuse because I kept working on it for a long time waiting for it to stop raining ( it never did, but it was nice to get out of the house for a while anyway ).

About a hundred years ago there was a gravel company at this bend in the river, and apparently this concrete box-like structure was used for gravel sorting. Supposedly, the gravel company supplied some of the gravel used in building the Golden Gate bridge.

#1 structure or building
IMG_1204rs.jpg

IMG_1201rs.jpg

Thanks for the list Ai
Jo- that’s a nice sketch of Gene, looks like you keep him happy, you are lucky he models for ya.

I noticed this is hunt #7...so I guess ya’ll just started doing these? I am really glad....
Yes, Robin ... earlier in Nov. I have talked to Arty, the super mod here :giggle:, he creates the "Art From Life" forum for us... and after a few more talks with him, we all Hunters agree that it is best to restart a new series of "Scavenger Hunt from Life" here with Num#1 and I had hosted the last Hunt at the previous place as #700. So this is a cool new place for us all and I'm grateful for it and that several of our Hunt friends (like you) found us and rejoin :). Hopefully the format of the Hunt here may attract new art friends to join along too.

Jo: Super start of this Hunt. Nice portrait of Gene.

Ned: I'm glad you have your solitude moment and wonderful art moment as well. Love the story behind your sketch.

Jo -- Not sure how much your sketches look like Gene :), but I recognize him from earlier sketches... it seems to me you must be getting the essentials right! I've been too scared to try to draw people or figures so far, and I'm going to try to overcome that this year... now that I think of it, that would be a good "new years resolution".

Joe -- that reminds me of something. I think I remember you posted a picture one time that had a whole bunch of little figures ... maybe like "carrot people" or other shapes or silhouettes in different poses or postures? Am I remembering right? Do you know what I'm thinking of?

It is a cold and gray rainy day here today. I went up to the Russian River and sketched this thing from my car while waiting to see if it would stop raining enough to go for a walk. I want to learn how to put more attention on the center of interest in my sketches and less attention to the surroundings, and I was thinking about that before I started, but forgot. I often don't know when to stop. At least this time I had an excuse because I kept working on it for a long time waiting for it to stop raining ( it never did, but it was nice to get out of the house for a while anyway ).

About a hundred years ago there was a gravel company at this bend in the river, and apparently this concrete box-like structure was used for gravel sorting. Supposedly, the gravel company supplied some of the gravel used in building the Golden Gate bridge.

#1 structure or building
View attachment 16108

View attachment 16109
Ned - Nice work. Interesting landmark. A few here refer to your rainy day situation as “working in their mobile studio“. Sounds so much more artistic than “the car” LOL but a great way to get out when weather does not cooperate.

Keep sketching
Joe

Thanks all y'all.
Ned, I have sketched a lot more people since doing these Hunts. I only sketched landscapes. I have now sketched people, trash, dirty dishes, under the sink, etc. Makes me look at things better. Sometimes I still hurry and don't plan or take care ... you can tell. Ha. Nice you had some "mobile studio" time. I've been on the porch as much as I can. It will be too cold next week. Your building is amazing. I like your touch of color. (gave me the idea) Thanks for the photo as well.

Number 2, nature of some sort.
csshfl7nature.jpg

Porch time in the small Canson Mix Media to try the markers again. There are 6 grays and have a chisel on one end and a brush on the other.

csmarkers.jpg

Jo: Cool nature sketch... love the spike of red flowers like a perfect focal points.... good to see your markers too.

Thanks all y'all.
Ned, I have sketched a lot more people since doing these Hunts. I only sketched landscapes. I have now sketched people, trash, dirty dishes, under the sink, etc. Makes me look at things better. Sometimes I still hurry and don't plan or take care ... you can tell. Ha. Nice you had some "mobile studio" time. I've been on the porch as much as I can. It will be too cold next week. Your building is amazing. I like your touch of color. (gave me the idea) Thanks for the photo as well.

Number 2, nature of some sort.
View attachment 16135

Porch time in the small Canson Mix Media to try the markers again. There are 6 grays and have a chisel on one end and a brush on the other.

View attachment 16136
Agree with Ai, the splash of color draws the eye to focus there. What do you think of the Blick markers?
Keep sketching
Joe

#1 Friend - My best friend and wife
Playing with brushes in Procreate. Took way longer than the quality Indicates. The hair is the only part that actually looks like her. 🤫
FCE93CA7-66DC-4A57-B67C-6A114E3CE455.jpeg

Also looks like I added 20 lbs. Shh

Keep sketching
Joe

Agree with Ai, the splash of color draws the eye to focus there. What do you think of the Blick markers?
Keep sketching
Joe
I like the splash of color too! And the shading with markers is fun. I went to the Blick site and there was not much information about these, any idea if they are waterproof or lightfast?

Joe the hair looks great. Not sure if my wife will sit that long but I might try when she's browsing on her laptop... :)

I like the splash of color too! And the shading with markers is fun. I went to the Blick site and there was not much information about these, any idea if they are waterproof or lightfast?

Joe the hair looks great. Not sure if my wife will sit that long but I might try when she's browsing on her laptop... :)
Aye Ned, Sharon was not posing she refuses to model. She was watching tv and moving quite a bit.
Joe

Jo, nice sketch of Gene. Chuckled at the T-Shirt! Your touch of color on the nature sketch really pulls the eye to those flowers.

NedL, nice sketch of the gravel sorter.

Joe F, enjoyed your comment about "mobile studio." What a neat name. I like your portrait of your wife. Good work with the digital. Like any other art medium, it gets easier with practice.

These are ink and water-soluble graphite wash in 6"x8" Stillman & Birn Alpha sketch book.

When I scanned the image, I think it picked up the slight buckling of the paper from the water and shows as a slight shadow in the upper left but it's not there in real life.

1 Food: I like to cook so I decided to draw one of my favorite cooking appliances, and Instant Pot. It works great to cook beans, rice and especially soup. If you'd like to see some of my favorite soup recipes, here is the link: https://sites.google.com/site/annesainzrecipebox/soups

2 Drink: Teapot

20211230Sk6 SH7-1,2.jpg

Thanks Ai for hosting this week.

Jo, good sketch of Gene. He is always willing to pose for you. I can only sketch Jerry if he doesn't know I'm doing it. It is nice that you still have a touch of color on the patio from the flowering plant. Interesting new markers.

Robin, luckily we found Creative Spark and were able to start the hunts back at #1.

Ned, I think we all have that problem of not knowing when to stop. I like your gravel-sorting structure. I find when I'm working with ink only it is hard to get the center of interest to stand out from the background. Sometimes I use a thinner pen for those lines or use just a wash to indicate those areas. Nice to see you using your "mobile studio" too. I coined that phrase a long time ago. lol I sketch from mine more often than not these days.

Joe, nice sketch of your wife. We'll keep your secret safe.

Anne, I don't have an insta-pot...no room for one. Great drawing of it. Nice shape to the teapot. I have one but it us too far up in the cabinet to bother using it.

1 - figure in a car (from my mobile studio) - watercolors and ink while I was parked down by the boat basin.
2 - vehicle
1229 view from car.jpeg

3 - multiple figures - watercolors and ink
1229 figures.jpeg

4 - food - direct watercolor
IMG_9261.jpeg

Nice ones Joan. I haven't done any sketching from my "mobile studio" yet, I'm still fairly new to sketching but I am enjoying it a lot. I like your car with someone in it. I like the yummy brussels sprouts too.

Back