Scavenger Hunt from Life #67: May 2 - May 10

EP, thanks. I know I wasn't upside down. lol

Paul, good group of sketches. I used to have a sea sponge that I used for art...wonder where it went... Nice new boots! Love Halo clementines. That is usually part of my breakfast.

Paul, thanks. A very different street sign. Cool. Fun group of items. I like the vase and the boot. I have that tool someplace, too.

Joan, great sculpture sketches. Such a neat day and things to sketch. Thanks for the photos, too. I love seeing NY through your eyes!

EP, Thanks and yes the Loblolly pines are an isolated group out of their habitat and said to be the farthest west. The area here is called the Lost Pines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Pines_Forest

Jo - Your iPad trees look like pastels. Love it. Your view makes me wish we had more land.

Paul - ink and watercolor looks to be your thing. 👍🏽👍🏽 Nice set of pen sketches. I t
hought Halo were mandarin oranges.You say tangerine and Joan says clementines. Lol

Joan - Thanks for sharing the photos of the other Sculptures besides the ones you painted so well. What size brush do you use for little lines like like the plaid lines on Slicker?

Jo & EP - We have a few loblolly pines in SW Florida. There was a really tall one, about 6o+ feet tall, over near the hospitals.
We used it as a landmark. Hurricane Ian took it down last year. And it took down the power lines.

Keep sketching
Joe

Hey, sketched not on the porch! Sat in the driveway on a folding chair and then at my desk in my studio. In the Art Street sketchbook 8.5 x 11 inches. Didn't fill the page on either but is two pages. The markers leak through so nothing on the back of the house sketch.
Number 8 exterior - house side porch with Blick Gray markers and Ohuhu pens.
Number 9 claw - claw hammer and Number 10 unusual art tool - an antique metal scraper with an old double edge razor blade that folds with the screw loose, I use it to sharpen pencils. You open it all the way and tighten the screw. I sketched it part way open and then closed. Micron 03

csshfl67exterior.jpg

csshfl67claw.jpg

Jo - the brick/shingle effect with the markers is pretty cool. Like the hatching on the hammer.

#1 vase - Jo’s digital inspired me to play with procreate. G
IMG_1672.jpeg

keep sketching
Joe

Hi all, we are back to the concrete jungles of Bangkok now.... lol.

All: Thanks ... I'll try to come back to comments more on so many cool art.

EP: No it is not mandatory to wear the mask on plane... but we wear them as the plane is a small space and full with tons of people from everyplaces. ... Just our pre-caution. Most Thai people still wear marks a lot (it is no longer a mandatory), esp. in the airplanes, and in the classrooms.

Joan: Thanks.. neat connection for slick I have never seen that place. I get to
NYC typically once or twice a year my son lives down near Washington park and
works not too far from Grand Central station. New York City never ceases to
amaze me. Nice tree and cute mini me... and the train ride down too, nice day

Eyepaint: Thanks

Jo: Thanks.... oh by the way our library had a free workshop on pastels last night
and I attended it was very interesting, I have never really tried pastels my little
painting came out pretty good. Pastels are soooo soft looking, love them. Nice exterior
well done with the markers and pens. Well done with the claw and unusual tools and they are!

Joe: Thanks... Halos, cutes and other idibidi tangerine, clementine confuse the
daylights out of me too. My wife is the one who typically buys them so
I call then all Halos... Thanks for hosting...

I plan to post May 10ths hunt tomorrow AM not later than 5:30AM Eastern Day light time aka GMT-05:00

Last edited:
Thanks, all for the nice comments.

Joe, lovely vase. Nicely done on the lines and gesture. Very natural looking. Happy to inspire.

Paul, fun to try something new. Beware, pastels are addictive. So forgiving and rich colors.

On the porch in the Ohuhu sketchbook with the Blick Gray markers. Not very "medium" in the medium colors. About a 5 minute sketch just to try something different.

#11 Courtyard - for the hummer maybe a courtyard, probably more of a dining room. Ha.

csshfl67courtyard.jpg

Jo: Courtyard? as in a male and female court each other? Well either way very well done I really like the light gray markers... Oh by the way I just realized I drew an apple from life last night at the work shop so here is my drawing of an apple in pastel and I was pleased with my sky from the other drawing although not from life ( I could get creative and say the photo was drawn from life but not sure I could find a category to stuff it) but just posting for grins..... I might delve a bit into pastels at some point.... see looking at all your pastel drawings motivated me to try them.... thanks!

#10. Smooth ---- the skin of the apple

apple.jpg

sunset.jpg

1Tree -Seed -fruit-Flower

a5pencil
fiore da associazione venuta da vecchia filastrocca,canzone per bimbi.molto bella Per fare un tavolo ci vuole il legno,per fare il legno ci vuole l’ albero , un albero ci vuole il seme ,per fare il seme ci vuole un frutto ,per fare un frutto ci vuole il fiore.ci vuole un fiore,per fare tutto ci vuole un fiore perchè
qeuesto lo copio,non lo ricordo

Per fare un fiore ci vuole un ramo
Per fare il ramo ci vuole l'albero
Per fare l'albero ci vuole il bosco
Per fare il bosco ci vuole il monte
Per fare il monte ci vuol la terra
Per far la terra ci vuole un fiore
Per fare tutto ci vuole un fiore
Per fare un fiore ci vuole un ramo
Per fare il ramo ci vuole l'albero
Per fare l'albero ci vuole il bosco
Per fare il bosco ci vuole il monte
Per fare il monte ci vuol la terra
Per far la terra ci vuole un fiore
Per fare un tavolo ci vuole il legno
Per fare il legno ci vuole l'albero
Per fare l'albero ci vuole il seme
Per fare il seme ci vuole il frutto
Per fare il frutto ci vuole il fiore
Ci vuole un fiore, ci vuole un fiore
Per fare il frutto ci vuole un fiore

2023-05-09 22-26_pagina_1.jpeg

Last edited:
Joe1lt Nice associations well done looks like a flower is the fundamental element of life....

Wow, lots of very inspirational work here! Enjoyment and encouragement are a good mix. Sorry, no time to comment but did manage a few sketches.
1 interior dentist office
2 fav art tool…demonstrator fountain pen
3 nail clipper
4 hair comb
5 fur cat brush
6 yard tool association,dog, she tools around the yard

oops dentist is upside down….they were mostly working on bottom teeth that day….

made a sort o background…..is a little confusing I think but. Anyway…
D46E02FA-3F99-4748-9F22-5B922CD8D30E.jpeg
C7AFDEA4-1C2E-4C5F-A71D-1E260D58FA31.jpeg
1CAB9852-CA83-480D-83BA-15D0CF9E9B73.jpeg

Paul, wow, look at you with pastels. Very well done. Looks like fun. Looks like you know color so should be an interesting journey.

joe1lt, oh, love the flower! The children's poem is lovely and proves your point and association. Applause.

Robin, hey. Fun to see your sketches. A new type hunt to see your sketch upside down!! Ha, ha. Nice assortment. Love the dog.

EP, look at you sketching in watercolor. I love the bumpy watch band, excellent. Clever items, like the hair clip. Great stuff. I have the markers but haven't used them much. It says not to put the tip in water so you have to mark and blend quickly with a brush. I need more practice.

I gota sketch done in a new style for a class in pastels. We were to draw something in a different style but of an artist we like. I picked Ans Debije, she used lots of red and bright contrasts and few strokes.
https://www.ansdebije.nl/artwork#/category=All&mode=search
Usually light backgrounds which is different for me. And lots of rough edges and no detail. So here you go. - In Ans style as much as I could in a quick sketch on Pastelbord - White with no under painting and no wipe off. Next I'm to do one in my style but with something of her's to incorporate into my style. We shall see how that goes. Number 12 fruit. Oh just noticed I have Number 13 a vase as well. Didn't think of that. Duh...The vase is pewter but she makes everything shiny.

csshfl67fruit.jpg

Paul - great job on the boot. Oooh thanks for the time for posting the new hunt list :) So specific a time ... before you go someplace? Great reds on the apple skin. Lovely colours on the water.
Jo - mmm Lost Pines Forest looks beautiful! The markers bleed through ... due to strong marker lines? or due to thin paper? Good claw. What a cool razor. Yes courtyard for you is a dining room for the hummers :) Thank you. Mmm check out that still life with the light bg and few marks - how lively!
Joe - I guess the hurricane toppled the tree and the tree took down the power lines? Mmm digi vase ...
Ai - yay thank you. I know a person who was in Japan in Feb and March and the masks were mandatory up until some day in March (11?)
joe1lt - interestisng marks ... sorry I do not know Italian ... except for terms used on sheet music from so long ago (largo ... pianissimo ... other words don't come to mind right now ...)
Robin - yahoo upside down dentist :) Their brains must work well like reversing with a hitched trailer while using a mirror ... to turn left do you turn the steering wheel to the right?

Fantastic art works by everyone.

EP:
Love your happy blue sketches in watercolor.

Jo: Wonderful cheerful playground. Nice soft tree bush and a great view out your backyard. Cool antique art tool. Super nice birdie court yard with light touch of grey lines. I love your new style of pastel too.... super loose and a nice white dab of light.

Paul: Wow... so many nice pieces but the one I love most is the view out the patio door ... your colors choices give nice serene organic feel. Also cute black white set with a cute pair of boot and vase. And you surprise us with colorful apple in pastel... Nicely done.

Joan: Wow... Love your sketches of NYC portrait sculpture. You are in a great place combo... interesting city+parks+shorelines. I love how you sneaked in a mini you in that curvy reflective surface. Love your collage of the sculpture series too... as I was wondering if the real thing was a human or a sculpture of human. Cool interior of the train too.

Robin: What a nice surprise to see you share your colorful funky sketches. and a super cool room scene. Cute pooch too. Glad you can draw to enjoy despite your super busy time.

Joe1: Thanks for your kind support. Nice association from tree seeds to flower.

Last edited:
Jo, thanks. I'm enjoying your outdoor sketches...the side of the house, the bird feeder. Cool! Love those tool sketches and the story to go with them. Nice sketch in Ans style...just a little different. Love the edges and the color!

Joe, nice vase sketch. I still haven't loaded Procreate onto my new(er) iPad. I don't know what I'm waiting for.

Paul, thanks. Park Ave was a fun place to sketch those sculptures. I wish I had more time to sketch all of them. Nice pastel of the apple and the sky. I don't usually work in pastel or charcoal. Both are too messy for me. lol

Joe 1, that's a long association to get to your nice flower sketch. Good job!

Robin, nice group of tools. The upside down dentist's office made me chuckle. Takes your mind off of what is happening in that office. lol

EP, nice to see watercolors from you. Nice washy look to them. Good job on the bumpy watchband.
Ai, thanks. The sculptures were really very realistic. There was one that was life-size and it looked like a real person sitting on the base.

Bghisly, you may have only had time for one sketch, but that is great...and looks dangerous.

Robin: Nice collection of sketches your upside down dentist office is how I feel
after leaving my dentist's office. I particualry like the dog, looks like he is
enjoying himself

Eyepaint: Thanks.. I posted the new hunt at 5:27 AM ahead of my estimate of 5:30 AM,
my OCD is showing through. I worked for a 3 star general for a few years
and quickly learned that time was of the essence. Long story short he called
a meeting for 7:30am and shortly after he announced the 7:30 meeting some guy
asked him what time the 7;30 meeting was. Oh boy the general unleashed on this
poor fellow for about 5 minuites. " what the #$!) time do you think I mean. Do
you really think when I say 7:30 I want you hear at 7:45am?" It only got worse from there
That fixation with time has stuck to this date.

Jo: Thanks and I really like that still life the style is very interesting.

Bighisly and Daughter: Nice cycle, almost afraid to ask what you use that for.

Ai/Joan:
Thanks

Ai - thank you. Your sketches inspired me. I stuck to one colour. I think it was Pthalo Blue Green Shade? A watercolor stick - https://danielsmith.com/product/daniel-smith-watercolor-sticks/

Bghisly - oooh a scythe!

Joan - thank you

Paul - that was a fun story about time. Did you guys use 24 hour time so that the times numbers were referred to as hundreds, like 1400h for 2pm? Or "see you at eighteen thirty"?

Back