Scavenger Hunt from Life #67: May 2 - May 10

jmfletch

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt #67

Smooth
Bumpy
Rough
Slick
Glossy
Fruit
Tree
Park
Playground
Courtyard
Garden
Street sign
Moves
Interior
Exterior
Old
New
Fur
Hair
Nail/Claw
Yard Tool
Gadget
Something in your pocket or purse
Unusual art tool
Favorite art tool
Vase

Challenge: Use 2 or more associations. List your associations.
Example: wheels - bicycle - ride - helmet
Draw a helmet and list the 3 associations

Joe: Thanks for the list...Thanks also for putting up with tech. glitches

Joe, thanks for the new list and getting it up early so Ai can get started. We'll see which one I work on tomorrow.

#1 old -- a Sharpie pen
#2 new -- a Lamy pen
#3 an unusual art tool -- a syringe used to draw ink to feed into some pen's ink chambers.

20230503_001232.jpg
20230503_002336.jpg

Last edited:
Ai, you and I can be drawing pens forever. lol Nice! I have a syringe for ink too.

1 - park (Huckster State Park in East Islip is on Long Island Sound) - direct watercolor on khadi paper.
IMG_2310.jpeg

Thanks Joan...lol :love: on our pens and arts and wc stuffs. ... Glorious scene of Long Island sound... hope one day I can be there to sketch with you.

Thanks for the new list, Joe.
Ai - you're quick - fun pen
Joan - mmm lovely clouds ...

Our family are heading to a beach desination of Thailand called Krabi.

#2 park or parking at Bangkok airport

20230503_130151.jpg

Joa, Ai, wonderful start.
AI, lmy, is lamy safari? I've had one for a few years, it's highlighter green..

Ai, you got us off to a good start. I love my Lamy pen. You drew it and the Sharpie well. Syringe is a different art tool. Nice airplane! Wow on the interior of the plane.

Joan, lovely landscape with the bridge in the distance.

I sketched at the doctor's. Gene had his new batteries synced. In the Ohuhu sketchbook with ball point pen and watercolor. Number 1, yard tool

csshfl67yardtool.jpg

Ai, thanks! I like your red plane and the sketches from the trip on it. Have fun!

EP, thanks. The clouds are what attracted me. I had to go somewhere that I could have a wide open view of them.

Jo, I can almost hear that edger working!!!

2 - exterior of the boat - watercolors and ink
3 - rough siding on the building
IMG_2315.jpeg

4 - playground - direct watercolor

IMG_2313.jpeg

Last edited:
Ai - great pens sketch. Looks like every Lam6 owner loves them. Great endorsement. Syringe is a clever find as is a ‘park’ed plane LOL. Plane interior sketch is terrific.

Joan - Love the beach-scape with dramatic sky. Unless there has been an amazing land shift on Long Island than East Islip and Hecksher State Park on the South shore. So that would be Great South Bay not the Sound. Nice work on the boat. They are tough to draw. Love the huge jungle gym.

Jo - I am with Joan. Can almost hear the weed whacker,

keep sketching
Joe

Last edited:
Joe, thanks for noticing the wrong location! Yes, it is located on the Great South Bay. Must have been a senior moment.

Our sketch group did perfume bottles tonight.
5 - smooth (purple bottle) - watercolors and ink
6 - bumpy (bottle on the far right)
7 - old (Pat's mom's atomizer)
8 - glossy (bottle with the gold metallic)

IMG_2318.jpeg

Joan, so nice to be out and find some different items for the Hunt. Clever for rough, the siding. The bottles are perfect samples of the items. Very nice. The playground is amazing. All the lines with no previous sketch. Wow.

Thanks, Joe and Joan. Fast sometimes helps me to sketch .. no time to change my plan.

Feet up on the porch in the ArtStreet sketchbook with a Micron 03. I've sketched all these things before, but I'm lazy to look for new items. Ha.
Number 2 rough - wicker
Number 3 smooth - Gene's coffee thermos
Number 4 tree - a Loblolly Pine
Number 5 bumpy - the glass on the bird feeder (thanks Joan for the idea from your perfume bottle)
csshfl67rough.jpg

Back