Scavenger Hunt from Life #23 - May 6 - 14

Robin Gillis

Hi dear art buddies and timid lurkers.

Greetings and welcome to the hunt. The guidelines are posted in detail the preceding Hunt. I don’t know how to copy paste on this compute, please forgive. Basically sketching from life these 26 objects in nine days, though most of us just do as many as we like , can, or have time for. Commenting on art posted is not necessary. Medium of you choice. The only rule is it must be work done during these nine days from actual objects you see. Can replace with similar item if necessary. Mostly important is to relax and enjoy your time touching you world in a way only you can.

1, 2 & 3, three different types of one category- (coins, leaves, chairs etc.)
4 found in front or back yard
5. One of the first things you hear in the morning
6. Corner of a room
7. Image in advertising flier or magazine
8. Leg of an inanimate object
9. Book shelf
10. ———free space- do what you like -
11. Bed headboard
12. Where you keep your shoes
13. Pertaining to smell
14. Unusual shadow
15. Made of wood
16. Has since you were young
17. Interior dashboard of car
18. A handheld tool
19. Skyline
20. Road way
21. House or other dwelling not yours
22. Store front
23. Parking lot
24. Construction site
25. Bicycle, wheelbarrow or wagon
26. Insect

Good luck and HAPPY SKETCHING

A quick one from me ... take about 10 min. total

#1 Three kinds of writing instruments -- a pen, a brush pen, and a highlight marker

h23_3ofWritingInstruments.jpg

Ai - Wow, bet you just made the record for posting within the first hour of list going out! Nice sketch.....looking forward to spending the next nine days pad and brushed in tow

Thanks for the list Robin, some great prompts there - thinking cap on

Quick off the mark Ai, super pen sketch

Robin, thanks for the list.
Wow, Ai, you are off to a quick start. Clever. I like the highlight on the highlighter!

Had fun doing these whilst watching Giro d'Italia on TV - that's summer truly started for me despite the still chilly wind:)

1 Three of a kind - candle holders, pen with a touch of coloured pencil.

2 Made of wood - a vase carved out of found driftwood, pen initially then decided it needed the various shades of wood so added lots of coloured pencil

3 of and wood.jpg

Ai - a quick start with nice hatching in shadows

Sue - oh, we have lots of candles all over the house but not to many candle holders. Now will have to investigat.🙂. Oh nice workon the carved vase. Combining mediums can be fun especially when it is more the piece calling for it than when planned. If that made any sense at all.

Robin - thanks for the new list
Ai - Great trio of writing instruments
Sue - wonderful carved wood piece :)

Robin, thanks for the list!

Ai, nice to see your different writing tools!

Sue, I like your interesting candle holders! Does the one on the right have holes in those shapes where the light shines through? Love the way you did the wood grain on the vase. That would be something that would appeal to me. I love things made from wood where you can see the grain pattern.

1 - leg of my wicker chair - ink
IMG_9987.jpeg

2 - 3 different kinds of veggies - direct watercolor
IMG_9989.jpeg

Thanks everyone, Joan,Jo, Sue, EP, Robin for kind comments on my first batch... I happen to see her list first.

Sue: Lovely delicate candle holders and interesting texture on the wood.

Joan: Great idea on the veggies trio, and the rattan furniture leg. Love their colors too.

Hi everyone, Happy Mother's Day to the mothers and the rest of you for/to your mothers. We have our adult texas kids tomorrow. Jennie has a new puppy so maybe I'll get a photo. She is a baby Shih Tzu and is just a ball of fur so not great to sketch yet, especially cause she is black. You can't tell which end is which.

Sue, I like the candle holders, fun and interesting. The wooden vase is great and the lines flow.

Joan, your wicker is well done - complicated. I like the veggies. I like brussel sprouts but not the smell to cook them.

Thanks Joe, Joan (yes, the dark shapes are the holes the light shines through and the while holder is a flat matt white - it looks lovely when lit) , eyepaint, Ai and Jo,

Good find of the wicker chair leg Joan and the 3 veg combo is great - next stop lunch!

Feet up watching the cycling so thought I'd do a quick sketch to use the time more profitably ;)

3 Room corner - far corner of living room viewed over sofa - including....
4 Book case

Looking at it now I realise I've got lost on perspective again. I must have stopped looking and started making it up when I did the bookcase.

room corner.jpg

Thanks for the comments Ai, Jo, & Sue.

Happy Mother's Day to all who are celebrating today! I hope you have a great day with your moms or with your kids...and if you are lucky with both.

Hoping to get out to sketch/paint in a little while since it isn't raining right now. We've had a few days where it wasn't worth going out. I would have to keep the windshield wipers on continuously in my mobile studio. lol

Hope you mothers has a relaxing day.

sue - three candle holders at least are household essentials..they look like good solid and cheery too. The touch of color is nice.
Cool “wooden pencil or whatever holder. I like to keep an eye out for interesting containers. Extra points for relaxing while drawing the corner!,!!! I think it shows in the drawing some how.

Joan - fun wicker leg...I like old warm creaky wicker. The way you and Ai just whip out the watercolors is SO inspiring......nice vegetabales.....

Hi, Jo, Joe Fl, Joe 1, Ep, and Viviendo......hope we all can catch a few moments to eeek out a sketch today.

Thanks Robin on kind words of my WC and thanks Viv too for a nice comment.

Thanks Joan on mother day well wish. It is too bad for having bad weather to do outdoor sketch but you are so talent and I am sure you will find something close to home to sketch and share with us.

Sue: Thanks. Fantastic job on the not so easy corner of room. I love your result plus your drawing has delicate feel. Your book case has lots of stuffs... not easy to draw...great job.

Last edited:
We took one day one night trip out to our cabins; we recently acquired the 2nd plot in Ratchaburi mountain area (both are small sizes around 2 acres and within 2.5hr drive from the city of Bangkok). The 2nd plot is not far from the first one. I plan and manage each place, to be our future sustainble agro and creative studio when we retire; Tone helps contribute some funding and driving... :giggle: I planed to sketch the field of yellow bean ground cover aimed to be ploughed over to give natural nitrogen fertilizer to the soil at the 2nd plot but it rained most of the time. So I got to sketch only the blooming flame trees in the back of our first cabin. The other sketch was done while we had a rest stop en route home at a country cafe with mountain view. Both done in about 20 minutes each, in directwatercolor.

h23_backyardView_a.jpg

h23_backyardView_b.jpg

h23_freeChoice-mountainCafe_a.jpg

h23_freeChoice-mountainCafe_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back