Scavenger Hunt from Life #125: Aug 07 - Aug 15 - AiArts (Ai)

Robin, I like the soft look to your folded t-shirt. Nice lettering on the body oil bottle.

Joan: Thanks for your kind words.

Robin: Lovely dazzling ink lines in the set.

PaintBoss: Have fun.

Here is a sketch of my favorite ice cream stand out east. It is a place I can't resist.
8 - made of glass (windows) - watercolors and ink
9 - clothing

IMG_5763.jpeg

Chinese food for dinner...
10 - food on a plate (shrimp roll, pork lo main, general tao's chicken) - watercolors and ink

IMG_5779.jpeg

11 - use on your hands - sketch & wash pencil and ink

IMG_5777.jpeg

12 - use on your face - sketch & was pencil and ink which apparently is water soluble

IMG_5775.jpeg

Joan: fantastic set. Love the icecream shop. Wonderful effect on white bottles. Love your food plate.

Thanks, everyone.

Ai, Happy Mothers Day! Fun with Iris. Quick sketches but tell good stories for the memory books. Good people.

Robin, mmm, the body oil sounds nice. I like th sweater. Clever item of the doorknob.

Joan, nice find on the ice cream store. "Now scooping" fun! Great job on the food, I see egg roll, rice and broccoli beef or ?? Yummy. The hand cream sounds exotic. I like Aveeno brand stuff. Excellent lettering as always. I'm smiling.

I sketched on a 5 x 7 inch Pastelbord, wiped off from an unsatisfactory landscape, dark green board. I used various pastels.
Number 4 flower and Number 5 leaf. Same old geranium plant. (Cross posting to the Pastel Forum)

csshfl125flower.jpg

csphoto-flower.jpg

Jo. - Excellent pen work on the hand. Never heard of Acurit but sure gives strong dark strokes. Nice.

Ai - Very nice work on tea and cookies. Kind of amazed at how many colors you carry out with you. There is an abstract feel to the awning and umbrellas. It has a geometric feel. The pen sketches are great to show textures.

Robin - GO. Was looking for your unique style pen work and up pops a watercolor! Rolled for folded gives me a flash back to active duty. For some reason rolled wrinkles less. Cool work on the bottle.

Joan - love the ice cream stand. Chinese food looks yummy. (Another item not as good outside of NY. My 92 year old sister says the difference in food taste is the water. ) Nice work on the tube and bottle.

#1 flower and #2 leaves multiple grades of graphite in A5ish size sketchbook. Got same really great darks but hard to photograph. This took a lot longer than intended which was fun and frustrating. Hadda be there LOL
It is very it out so did a very quick sketch outside and came inside to finishk.
IMG_2685.jpeg

Keep sketching
fletch

PainBoss, thanks for your comment. I love red.

Fletch, your flower is super. Great shading. We need Larry or Joanna for hints on photographing black and white.

Jo: Thanks. That was stunning, the red flowers.

Fletch: Thanks. Very good contrast to your flower too as Christine has mentioned. I try to carry as light wc set as I can for general daily life tag along... but for my recent Penang AsiaLink Sketchwalk... I had a bit bigger wc set are a few more brushes. as seen in the photo below ... (not shown in a photo were - a small eraser, one more 2b pencil, 2 more pens, and 2 more medium wc brushes....and a small folding stool. That palette was about 9 inch long... and that sketchbook was quite small too.
Aug13_2024_MyPenangSketchwalkWCsetTools.jpg

Fletch, your flower is super. Great shading. We need Larry or Joanna for hints on photographing black and white.
Well, I learned one tip a long time ago. Do not use any soft pencils above 2B. The softer they get the more they reflect.. There are matte pencils, but I do not like the way they blend. I wanted dark darks so use 4B & 6B. What looks like a highlight in background at the top is actually the darkest spot on the drawing. So definitely open to photo tips.

IMG_2686.jpeg

Ai, love your sketching tools and to see the sketchbook, etc., all together. You make me smile.

Fletch, can't help you much there. I know to take photos of a painting under glass you need two lights at an angle toward the painting and the camera behind the lights. Should work for drawings.
glare.jpg

Ha, look at the glare. I didn't use 2 light sources. I use two lamps I use for painting. Not sure if it is worth the trouble just for here, but if you want a photo for something else.

I sketched in the living room out the window.
Number 5 branch and Number 6 gives shade - the porch
In the Canson drawing sketchbook, small, with the Acurit 3 pen

csshfl125branch-shade.jpg

Jo - Thanks. Like the tree bark and pine needles. Cool shade idea.

#2 Tile - started this trying to do tile floor in perspective but it turned into a kind of zendoodle thing.

IMG_2688.jpeg

I like it Fletch!
Jo, thanks for the photography tips.
That darn glare drives me nuts. Soft graphite is especially tricky.
I like your sketches Jo. I like getting a wee glimpse into fellow member’s world- without trying to sound creepy.🙂

I have a small humble offering. Just on sketchbook paper- does not say type. I see flaws, but leaving it here.
IMG_7051.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for your comments!

Jo, your red geraniums nearly jump off the paper. They came out so good!!! (I hope this doesn't get wiped off too.) I like your sketch of the pine tree. Nice textures.

Fletch, I chucked that your sister thinks the water makes the difference in the Chinese food. People always said that was the reason NY bagels were so good. :) I like your flower and leaves...nice shading. I don't use graphite often but when I do, I have trouble with the reflection off the pencil marks. Fun zen doodle tiles!

Ai, nice to see your sketching tools. When I travel I tend to bring along spare materials. I've lost pens when traveling, so I don't bring along my good pens. I bring microns instead and make sure I have more than one of the size I like best. Were those the only brushes you brought along? It helps that your sketchbook was fairly small. I know when you are walking around with a group from place to place it helps to travel light.

Christine, I hope Jo's tips help you photograph your work. That glass is lovely. It has so much detail and variety in the darkness of the graphite. Nicely done!

Still nothing that fits the hunt from me. Just so you know I'm not slacking off here is yesterday's painting.
I will try to sketch a few of the remaining items on the list. They are all items I should be able to get my hands on in the house, if I get myself off the couch and off the computer. lol

IMG_5781.jpeg

Thank you Joan. I haven’t drawn from life for a while and it’s good practice. But I do get tired out.
But oh my! What a lovely painting you’ve left here for us to see. Beautiful job Joan! I adore it.
You all continue to delight me with your work and ability.🙂🙂

Back