Scavenger Hunt from Life #125: Aug 07 - Aug 15 - AiArts (Ai)

Joan - great graphite work! Especially like the way you handled the light and shadow in the base. Do not see any hatching at all. Do you blend or do use circular or scribble ? Is the glass part of a set? If so are they different images or all the same? Curious minds want to know. 😎

Joan - how about the fence as accessory or made of natural fiber ( wood )?

Keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
I think you mean me re the glass. 🙂
Thank you. No hatching on this one. I have used hatching in my work. This was very soft paper which is not my favourite. Hard to erase and dents easily.
I used a stump to blend any which way, and an F, HB, 2B, 5B. I felt I was going cross eyed doing some parts of the glass! My daughter got these glasses from a friend, and I believe they were a set. The dark is a green opaque with white designs. It sucked up any reflections.
I am really out of practice, so I need to do this more.

Christine, thank you!

Fletch, thanks, but the graphite glass was Christine's. I'll go back and add the fence as a
#13 - natural fiber - watercolor (Previous post.)

14 - fruit - direct watercolor

IMG_5793.jpeg

15 - seasoning - direct watercolor

IMG_5795.jpeg

I think you mean me re the glass. 🙂
Thank you. No hatching on this one. I have used hatching in my work. This was very soft paper which is not my favourite. Hard to erase and dents easily.
I used a stump to blend any which way, and an F, HB, 2B, 5B. I felt I was going cross eyed doing some parts of the glass! My daughter got these glasses from a friend, and I believe they were a set. The dark is a green opaque with white designs. It sucked up any reflections.
I am really out of practice, so I need to do this more.
Apologies Christine. Your work does not look like you are out of practice. Thanks for replying on technique. Again apology for misnomer.

Oh no worries, it’s easy to get confused. I’ve done it before myself on the forums!🙂
i’m sure I will again in the future.
Joan you are on fire! Looks great. Those cherries… very nice quick watercolour!

Joan: Yes, I keep it light...even then, after the trip, I still got shoulder hurt from carry a backpack too much (2 trips... Japan + Penang). I have 2 more medium wc brushes more on the serious AsiaLink Sketchwalk. I think your gorgeous sketch include lots of leaves... so that should count (loosely) or fence like accessory of the home as Fletch said..... I forgot to add freespace items in my Hunt list, to make it easy for everyone. beautiful seasoning and the glowing cherries.

Fletch: Thanks for show us the trouble glare in your graphite photo and @Jo got a chance to show us a nice lighting set up solution. Great job on the floor tiles.

Jo: Thanks for the lighting tips. Nice pine needles and lamp at your porch.

Christine: Thanks for all great comments. Your glass pattern is beautiful. You may try to life-sketch in a level that comfort to you.... ie. if you are out of time, simple outline is also OK here but if you have more time to do it, a beautiful sketch like your post above is highly appreciate by us.... just enjoy your time and process here.

#12 food...Thai minced fish with chilli sauce over rice... directwatercolor ..
Lol..I know it doesn't look close to real stuffed, does it ?

1000004860.jpg

1000004852.jpg

Christine, thanks. Some sketches I can do so quickly, but I procrastinate and then don't get around to doing them. lol

Ai, thanks for your comments. The food sketch looks a little different, but still looks good. It is hard to do the textures of foods in direct watercolor. It likes to blend and blur too much.

For some reason I woke up early this morning and finished my walk before 7am, so I had a little extra time to do this little sketch. The continuous line sketches take a lot of concentration.

16 - book - continuous ink line
17 - bottle
18 - pot
19 - box

IMG_5798.jpeg

Fletch, love the tile. You did a great job in perspective.

PaintBoss, look at you go with the glass. Beautiful and nice shadow. Good for you to get back to sketching from life. We've had artists that drop in and out to renew skills. You can make quick line sketches or any media. Your choice. All for fun and learning. I call it homework for painting, but haven't been painting much.

Joan, Everything in that fits the Hunt. We can do doubles of one item or another. Building, leaf, glass - windows, branch, etc. Beautiful with the flag that could be accessory. Ha. Lively cherries, yummy. Look at you going direct on the paprika, lettering and all. Wow! Your continuous line is more than fantastic. You have patience.

Ai, mmmm, Your food looks delicious. I should have drawn my breakfast, I had green chile on my eggs to compete with your chili sauce. I was too hungry! I had chili oil on my teriyaki salmon last night. That would have been a good food sketch. Maybe next Hunt I'll find food. You inspire with your food sketches.

I'll be back later, hopefully with another sketch and list for tomorrow. Cherrio!

Joan - You never cease to amaze. The paprika done direct! The continuous line is mind blowing. Cherries look yummy.

Ai - From me you get props for painting direct and fir will power to let meal sit while you paint. I rarely draws food as it would half eaten. Oh I coulddo lemons. 😊. Actually can usually do fruit as I can draw one and eat another.

Jo, Christine, Robin, Ned 👋🏽👋🏽👋🏽

Keep sketching
Fletch

Jo - love it. You handle light so well in pastel. Will confess am a bit teary eyed reading “reused sanded paper”
#4 book - newish mixed media sketch book. Used 2B .5mm mech pencil in the A5ish sketchbook. Line quality needs work but was good exercise.
IMG_2697.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Joan, nice little sketch🙂
Nice book sketch Fletch!
Jo, what a lovely still life scene! Jumping off the screen, lighting, colours. Those cherries and grapes are very convincing! So enticing. Beautiful pastel.
Thank you for the supportive comments too.

Thanks you all for kind comments to me and to others. It means a lot to the glowing art vibe in us all. Thanks for joining this Hunt.

Fletch: nice take on your sketchbook...

Jo: Wowza...such vibrant on the fruit bowl...stunning sparkles on bowl edge and fine works on foreground too...Was your ground sandpaper black or beige colour ?

Jo, thanks! I love your yummy looking fruit in the bowl. Nice shine to it all.

Fletch, good job on the shading of the sketchbook.

I met up with the Patchogue Sketch Club at a sculpture garden tonight. Inside were these tall posts covered in mosaics. Different artist did each small section and then one artist combined all the segments. They were arranged mostly in color families. For some of the sections there was a photo of the artist and a QR code to scan which gave a video story about the artist set to music. I was really impressed with it and had to show you some actual photos of it.

20 - tiles - ink and watercolor

IMG_5808.jpeg
IMG_5807.jpeg
IMG_5806.jpeg
IMG_5805.jpeg
IMG_5799.jpeg

Good job on painting. Think you captured the feel of the event. Photos are fun. Thanks.
Fletch

Joan: Wow... what a beautiful sketch of some cool mosaic art piece that is so meaningful.

Fletch, aw don't feel bad. I wiped off some old mugs, none that were amazing. It was about the 3rd wipe off. I saved the last geraniums. I love, love the book. You handle perspective and shading so well.

PaintBoss, thanks. Pastels are a favorite.

Ai, thank you. The paper was originally off white or light beige. When you wipe it off there is stain left behind. Son David said the bowl isn't round so I'm fixing it. Messed up the bottom so will work on it again tomorrow.

Joan, thank you. Our grocery store sells grapes mixed red and green already off the stems. I like that, easy to eat but not as fun to paint. They do the same with little tomatoes, 3 or 4 colors in a basket, well plastic container. Your watercolor of the mosaic totem pole is so fun. I've never seen anything like that. Prize for most unusual this Hunt!

Ai, thanks for the Hunt. Happy I did a couple of pastel sketches. You did well and a good time was had by all. Artists can still sketch here tomorrow. New next Hunt is up now.
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-126-aug-15-aug-23.7168/

Back