Scavenger Hunt #76 - July 13 - 21

Ai: Nice find for 2 similar shapes, I think my wife has a pair exactly like those,
Wow on the free space great auto sketch

Julie: Good choice on bying both watercolor sets and nice find for the 2 similar shapes

Joan: Thanks.... Nice find for 5 or more shapes think I will be doing pizza tonight mmm.
great collection of similar shapes love the detail in the house painting

Fletch: Thanks. Good find on 4 similar shapes, you must have a lot of things in your pockets
Like your paper clip

Robin: Thanks. Nice collection of similar shapes cute clock, well done hand for 5 similar shapes, nice finds for the
3 and 4 similar shapes as well.

Ned: Thanks....Nice rail road crossing and love the touch of red. Good find.

Jo: Thanks.. good find for the 4 similar shapes love the detail on the measuring
cups well done.... Amazingly well down shoe the depth is great... nice find
I hope you don't forget to return Gene's shoe....

Ned - Remember that first day of retirement. It is going to seem like you repeat 100s of times. 😎 Nice work on the railroad crossing. Adding the touches of red really makes it pop. Here’s what that screwdriver actually looks like. As you can see I did not really do a good job. Goal was to get something on paper and get back to sketching.
IMG_1819.jpeg

Jo - nicely done pattern on the cups. Love the shading on the trike shoe!

Paul -My pockets are actually pretty empty. Keep the screwdriver on the table next to my chair to tighten adjustments on the lamp I keep there. Normal pocket contents are pocket knife, comb and some Hall’s lozenges. When we go out I add wallet, keys and phone.

Keep sketching
Fletch

#3 - 5 similar shapes - fingers, HB graphite in 8.5x5.5 in sketchbook took a lot longer than I thought it would as I had to keep posing hand and hard to get same pose. Based on poor planning used lots of artistic license. Also with all the rework took close to an hour.

IMG_1824.jpeg

Robin, thanks for the idea.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
Hi Paul, thanks. Gene wore his shoes again today. Evil grin.

Joe, I like your hand. Aggravating when the art doesn't flow smoothly.

I did the water media challenge from photo so no sketch. Not as satisfying to sketch or paint from photos.

Ned - Remember that first day of retirement. It is going to seem like you repeat 100s of times.
Joe, that might be pretty great... I mean, I went and drew something and then went out to dinner with my family and old friends. That's a pretty great day. But after the last busy work week, honestly I felt mostly stunned and dazed ( and tired ) yesterday. Today is a better start... I went on a long hike at the beach, and it was glorious. Then I went to draw "3 similar shapes" thinking the channel markers at the harbor were on 3-legged pylons but they weren't :(. Then got distracted making another print. I've got enough hobbies and things I like to do that the real problem might be focusing on any of them :) The thing that's going to take getting used to is that, wow, I can do it tomorrow! That doesn't seem real at all yet.
Not as satisfying to sketch or paint from photos.
I shouldn't talk because I've never tried to sketch or paint from a photo, and my daughter keeps telling me I should ( if only just for practice ) but for me, that's the attraction and what I like about sketching! I want to sketch what I see and what I like looking at :)

Jo - I forgot to say I like the blick markers shoe and it makes me want to try different markers.
Fletch - the hand has character! ( would take me an hour even without any reworking ).

#2 3 similar shaped lights
IMG_1575rs.jpg

( looked more like the green light was shining before the watercolors dried! )

IMG_1574rs.jpg

Last edited:
Ned - traffic light was a great find.nicely done.

Jo - agree with aggravating when art does not flow smoothly but while it is a different feeling I like drawing from pictures as well as from life. Probably because most of the classes i have taken almost always used photo references. In fact back when I joined this group it was to get away from that. But I still enjoy it.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Paul, nice free space mug. I stopped buying mugs since I had so many. Now I've been trying to downsize and get rid of some.

Jo, thanks! The colors on the measuring cups make them stand out so nicely and I love the pattern. Good job on the shoe too!

Robin, many thanks. Good thinking for 2 similar parts. Like the 3,4 & 5 too!

Fletch, thanks. I like your pocket screwdriver. I'm always digging through my screwdrivers that are in what is similar to a basket that is a catch-all for all sorts of stuff semi related to tools that work for my art. lol So you can imagine what that looks like. Looks like a handy device. Nice shading on that and the handy paper clamp.

Ned, thanks. Congrats on your retirement and what a nice way to start it. Nice sketch of the railroad crossing. I find that they make good subjects and usually have some fun foliage or buildings around them.

Will be to comment later....

2. Front Door Public Establishment ---- My dentist office this morning.... I had about 15 minutes to kill before going in.

hunt76building.jpg

Ned, clever find on the traffic light, well done. Fun to see the photo. I'm not a good marker user. i don't like that they don't blend. I got some good watercolor markers that you can blend somewhat but not good with watercolor either. Ha.

Joe, You draw beautifully from photos. I lose the freshness when I copy.

Hi Joan, thanks.

Paul, Good building, I like the way you portrayed the bricks. Nice quick sketch.
My selfie in the Ohuhu sketchbook with a Micron 02. Using the Facetime on my iMac for the mirror.
Number 3 Selfie
csshfl76selfie.jpg

I did a watercolor sketch for the July Art Prompts - orange. I'm going to use it for my "pet" here as it is the little U Texas bear on my desk lamp. I did it before in pastels and like that better. Imagine that.
Number 4 pet
csshfl76pet.jpg

Fletch: Full pockets by me.... I have a wallet, cell phone, and car keys nothing when around the house... that
screwdriver looks familiar to me now not sure I ever owned one but have seen them
around for sure. Great sketch of hand well done.

Jo: Thanks.... Nice selfie and interesting idea for using I-Mac, well done. Hoping to get to one myself this time
around... cute pet what did you do fire Gene? Is that just because he took his shoe back? He moved him down
quite a bit in your hierarchy I see.

Ned: Nice find for 3 similar shapes.. I really like the look of ink washes very nice.

Joan: Thanks.... I dont do well when it comes to down sizing. My biggest collection
of junk is T-Shirts... I drive my wife nuts.

#3. 4 similar shapes ---- broke my window down into 4 similar shapes but different sizes
1. Window Frame
2. Casing
3. Sash
4. Muttins/Grids or frames around the panes of glass
All rectangles different sizes. Shapes repeat along height and width
#4. 3 similar shapes --- pretzel
#5. 5 or more similar shapes ---- looking up at a beach umbrella
#6. Teapot ---- fortunately self explanatory
#7. 2 similar shapes --- My grill hast two knobs for start/controlling heat

window.jpg

Grill.jpg

Jo -- I thought about trying the "selfie" but it's too intimidating right now. Yours is great!
Paul -- I like the colors and the shadow and some texture they give on the window frame. The full range of black to white on the BBQ is just great.

Back after dinner to post today's messy sketch.

Went to a city park looking for something with 4 similar shapes... saw these thingamajigs in the duck pond. I have no idea what they are, maybe someone's idea of a sculpture? Sat down to draw and.. "oh no" lol there where 5 of them. ( I already have another idea for 5! ) Remembered why I don't like to outline shadows w/ the pen.... oh well.

#3 five similar shaped whatchamacallits
IMG_1586rs.jpg

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Jo: Cool selfie.... Love those nested blue bowls.

Ned: wonderful similar columns by waterway

Paul: Wow... many cool sketches with clever thoughts... I love to eat so my fav. is a pretzel. Your BBQ grill should get an Oscar for it.

Paul, thanks. I've known Gene since before school age, our grandparents were friends. I married him to get even for the years of torture as kids! He does go up and down the list of pets. Ha. I love your clever ideas. Window is great and in color! Good lines on the others, especially the grill. The pretzel made me go find some.....

Ned, I was self conscious of selfies until I found the Hunts. Maybe it's age but nothing seems to bother. I like your thingamajigs. I wonder what they are. Hmm. I like the sketch.

Thanks, Ai.

Out on the porch, digital on my iPhone ... sketchy in the App Brushes.
Number 4 two similar parts - Gene's binoculars

csshfl76two-similar.jpg

Paul - like the way you handled the various textures in the entrance sketch. Got out today and was think to sketch entry but techs asked me to stay in back and help. Again like how you sketched the diff textures. Cool find on matching shapes! Like you picked up on the “more” to use the umbrella.p

Jo - selfie does resemble you.nice job! Teddy is cute. Nice digital sketch especially on phone.

Ned - Nice work on the whatchamacallits!

Keep sketching
Fletch

Somehow I missed some sketches the other day. Great to see all the work, but not much energy to comment. I tested positive for Covid. I feel OK but my energy level is down quite a bit.

I did have to comment on Paul's gas grill (Love it!) and the selfies by Jo and Paul!! Great job!

I have two quick and sort of messy sketches that I did with a gel pen while I had the laptop on my lap and was holding onto the phone to change an appointment. After hanging on for 10 minutes I grabbed what was nearby (scrap paper) that I also ended up using for the new dates of the appointments. I didn't have a hard surface to sketch on and the couch cushion didn't provide much support. I ended up with plenty of time to sketch since I didn't get connected to a person for 35 minutes. I was too lazy to get up and get something else to draw on/with or find another subject.

8 - leg - gel pen

IMG_2964.jpeg

9 - corner of the room - gel pen

IMG_2965.jpeg

Paul good for you to try the selfie. You look like your photo. It's funny how the concentration always shows. Applause.

Joan, I'm always amazed at your dedication. Good job on your sketches. I'm smiling and commiserating.

Back