Scavenger Hunt #128 - Aug. 31-Sept. 8

Robin Gillis

Contributing Member
Hi art buddies - Here comes another 9 of the fastest days, can’t believe how they fly!
I hope everyone viewing can find time for a little sketch or two.

Rules, regulations and historic details of this thread are posted in previous hunts.
VAMOS- KADEEMA-LET’S GO!

1. Old
2. Recent purchase
3. Glass
4. Metal
5. Paper
6. Free space
7. House plant
8. Landscape
9. Many colored object
10. Small object
11. Bigger than a bread box (or microwave)
12. starts with B
13. texture
14. body or animal part
15. Related to evening activity
16. Related to bedroom
17. ................ hand
18. ................ bathing
19. .................sports
20. street light or traffic signal
21. mailbox
22. front of a house
23. business sign
24. inside closet
25. stack of 3 same type object
26. stack of 3 different type object
GOOD LUCK and BEST WISHES - :love:

1-old gear candle holder
2 new purchase book stand
3 glass tabletop water garden
IMG_2424.jpeg
IMG_2425.jpeg

I have been pretty much taken up with duties between work and grandchildren. This am i got up and really was missing ya’ll and low and behold i was slated to host! What joy!! The perfect motive…. So during this hunt i will really hope to can pass the desire to any lingering, lurking, or art starved soul. :cool:

Robin, marvelous to see busy you this morning! Thanks for an interesting hunt. That candle holder is huge and a different find. Great finds for your Hunt. Your hatching is so intriguing.

Robin - A few comments.
First off thanks for the list.
Second I have a list made for my hunt which I thought was next and have several that you listed but than double checked the dates and there is a hunt in between. Phew!
Third have the grandchildren draw with you for the hunt. Ai use to post drawings by Lily and Iris. Oh and the woman from Cairo (forget her name) use to post her daughter’s drawing all the time. They were always fun.

Love the gear candlestick. Cool water garden. All well rendered.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
Robin - I always like when you use different colors of ink. The colors work great In Your Water Garden sketch!

Bill - nice job on that model T tool bag!

#1 front of house sub front of hut. This camping hut was in the Ferncliff Forest near Rhinebeck, New York. I went on a short hike there this morning.
20240831_150937.jpg

Photo:
20240831_144431.jpg

#2 business sign. The Beekman Arms Inn is supposed to be the oldest Inn in America. In Rhinebeck.
20240831_195215.jpg

Photo of the Inn:
20240831_165959.jpg

Robin: Great start of this Hunt with cool stuffs, esp. the gear candle holder. Lovely glass bowl water garden. Nice bookstand.

Bill & Ned: Love sketches that show part of history. Awesome.

Ned: Fantastic log hut sketch.

Bill: So nice to convey the heirloom tool pack.

Last edited:
Robin, thanks for the new list! That's quite a unique candleholder. I like the little water garden and your book stand. I'm sure it comes in handy.

Ned, how fun that you are in Red Hook! That's such a fun area. Are you staying long? I love the camping cabin and the Beekman Arms sign. I haven't been up to Rhinebeck in a long time....maybe 1766. ;)

Fletch, are you thinking of Shevaun Doherty? She lived in Cairo before she moved back to Ireland. Now she does beautiful botanical art.

Bill, great tool kit, and even better knowing it has a history!

I met up with the NYC Urban Sketchers at Riverside Park South for a day of sketching. One sketch I just posted in the last hunt, and the others are here.
1 - body parts - watercolors and ink

IMG_5956.jpeg

2 - glass windows - watercolors and ink
3 - street light
4 - related to sports (joggers on bottom right)

IMG_5952.jpeg

5 - old - watercolors and ink

IMG_5954.jpeg

Joan: super sketch on all...love the old structure and the jogging track under the train line...nice gesture of the painter.

Ned, love the log hut sketch. A memory for you. Also, the sign of the historical building is well done. A pretty fancy building.

Joan, how nice to have a group to sketch with. Your sketcher under the umbrella took some planning and looks great. I was so impressed with your buildings and people.

AI, lovely little sketches of your duckies.
Bill

#2 landscape...on a postcard ...pencil & WC

1000005336.jpg

1000005318.jpg

#3 body part ...a tourist at the Artist House... unfortunately she left the scene before I can show her my

1000005345.jpg
1000005347.jpg

Attachments

• 1000005343.jpg
    1000005343.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 4
Ai, thanks. I love the little duckies. It reminds me of how Brenda Swenson would do a page of objects from above with their shadows. Maybe you need to add a few more. ;) Great landscape along the river and nice capture of the woman at the table. Do you usually show the sketch to your model?

Bill, thank you. That umbrella was the hardest thing I sketched all day. It was drizzling lightly so we all scurried to sit under the umbrellas. It was a hard angle to sketch it from below. I'm still not sure that I got all the pieces in the right positions. lol Yes, having a group to go out sketching with is such a blessing. I get to go places that I know I'd never go to on my own.

Thanks Ned, Bill, and Joan.

Joan:
I normally don't show the model my sketch... but in this case, I did know that she is a tourist... so sometimes... it might bring her a smile knowing that her journey has been recorded as a small art.

Back