New Artist's Book

Woohoo! All the pages are now finished! I can't believe it. I just completed the last of all the watercolors, which definitely took the longest to do. A lot of little details with little bitty brushes.

allwacs72.jpg

I bound the dummy book, and the binding will be very simple, like so:

bindingsample1.jpg

The only things left to do are the boxes (finish spray painting them, then label them), bind and trim the books. And that's it! They will be done before my open studio no problem. I was incorrect about not being able to get them done. I thought I was going to spend time on making little watercolors for the event, but now so much. I'll have time to make some drawings though, and that will be enough.

I do need to make a little Tiktok movie of the book once it's all put together too, for promo purposes.

Thank Iain, Joe, and PSA! I appreciate it.

I have been binding today, but I found one of my paper sheets (the fly page) was cut too narrow, so there's one book I can't bind until the weekend. Not that big of a deal. I do have to redraw two of the pages once I get that particular paper on Friday (I'd run out)., but it's just a couple of pages of little cartoon flowers. Better that than having to redo those watercolor pages!

Well, I'm finished! I can't possibly post all the photos, and I don't have great ones yet. But here are all five of them in their boxes with cloth tabs and lino block print labels:

5boxes.jpg

And a few more, but only a few:

openbox.jpg

walksafelypage.jpg

desertwcpage.jpg

backofmap2.jpg

frontofmap.jpg

centerfold.jpg

What a neat package! in all aspects. I have to admit, initially, when the idea was proposed, I could only envision, despite the thematic relationship, a collection of disparate objects. Seeing is believing, in this instance. I am pleased to have been proven wrong. Hope they fly - like hot cakes..!

Wow, what a project! Arty, you are very creative and committed. I just read through all nine pages, start to finish, and I'm exhausted just thinking about it. The book and box package are wonderful. Congratulations on finishing, and your first sale! 😀

Truly Fabulous, big congrats on the first sale, the others will follow very quickly I'm sure.I love the way everything looks totally right together

Thank you Zen and laf. I truly appreciate your comments! And thank you for reading through the whole process. That might take just as long as working on the thing! :ROFLMAO:

I sold another book to Brainbridge Island Museum in Washington! I did this through getting my books back into my old Artist's book dealer, Vamp & Tramp. Now they have one in their stock. That means I have three left (two here and one with them) Plus, they made this little tiktok video for me: :)

Video

I should have mentioned that I've sold another one of these at my open studio to a collector of mine that drove in from LA on the first day. I got an email from her about a half hour before I opened saying how disappointed she was to read in the catalog that I was to be open only on the third weekend of the event because she drove into town to see this book. I wrote her back and told her how they made a big misprint and that I was about to open--that I was going to be participating all three weekends. Already I was mad about the catalog all over again. But alas, she got my message and came right over. I sold it to her at a discount because she was already a collector, and she pushed for one.

Now I have one left, and my book dealer has one to sell too. These seem to be going pretty fast. :)

Arty - what a project, I admire your perseverance and artistic judgment. Congratulations on the sales - I'm sure the new owners will treasure them.

This is an incredible project. Just - amazing work, and it looks beautiful! I've no doubt that you'll sell every last one of them - so unique.

I shake my head in appreciation of your imagination. Where's the Applause button?

Back