New Artist's Book

Today I started these little drawings on the reverse side of one of the linoprint pages. Not sure I should have done it in pencil. I've only done one. I could do them in ink instead and only have wasted my time on one so far.

hikersitems72.jpg

It reminds me of English learning children's books; tattoos (cute tattoos, indeed); and the caption for the water recipe (?) was nice to me to see as a Portuguese idiom native speaker: "agua", "água".

I've been working on the maps and have now completed two and a half. They take a while, but the bulk of them are done (outlines, etc.). They just have to be colored now. The coloring takes almost all day for one whole map (with breaks). But it's really enjoyable. It reminds me of coloring when I was a little kid in coloring books, which I did often.

workingmaps1.jpg

workingmaps2.jpg

workingmaps3.jpg

I sure would like to finish the book before my big open studios event, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do it. I have to prep my garage space for it and it is a huge undertaking. It will take some weeks to get it organized and ready. I have plans to start that the first week of September, as the open studios takes place all weekends in October. I also have to promote it a bit. Lots coming up and lots to do. I don't know why I'm participating, but I already registered for it and am on the map. :rolleyes: I'm kinda nervous.

I got a lot done folks! I finished all the maps over the weekend--I can't believe it. And today, it took all day to paint the first two watercolors. I scanned them, but I don't like how my scanner made them look. They look really super fuzzy to me, not clear at all, so I don't know what I'll do. Maybe I'll just take pictures of them with my camera later, but for now I have to eat. I needed the magnifier light the entire time to do these, so my neck hurts. They are basically 4.5 x 7.5 (the area on the paper, that is). So, they are actually a bit smaller than that.

watercolorriver72.jpg

watercolorhiker72.jpg

The top one, "The River," didn't look like a creek at first because I didn't use a blue enough color, according to Hannah. It looked black or gray to her, so I added a bit more blue. I have no idea if it reads as a creek or not. Maybe I can get some opinions. If it doesn't look like water, I'll have to erase the title and name it something else! :(

Last edited:
These are lovely! Hope they don't have to be destroyed once printed..

The creek works - is identifiable as water.

The progress is amazing Arty. you could add a bit of greenish blue to the water if you don't think it reads well. I think you are doing a fantastic job. From where I stand those maps don't look handmade at all, they look professionally printed. Super! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Thank you Iain and sno. I will try to add a little greenish blue to the water to see if that helps it to read a bit more like water.

Iain, I will not be destroying these, and they are not going to be printed. They are all original paintings for each book in case you didn't get the memo. ;)

Thank you PSA. I appreciate it.

I am still working on these watercolors, and we gave a first coat of spray paint on the cigar boxes over the weekend, but I'm more or less committed to getting my garage organized for my open studios for the month of October. There's a lot to do and I only pray I'll be able to get just one book done before the event.

lastwcpages.jpg

blackboxes2.jpg

Back