Edgar Payne

Edgar Payne's work may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I feel that we can all learn a lot by studying his bold brushwork and colour combinations.
Not everyone's cup of tea - really?? I would hang and enjoy any one of them. Yes, a lot to learn from them/him.

Not everyone's cup of tea - really?? I would hang and enjoy any one of them. Yes, a lot to learn from them/him.
No, I think he is marvellous, but my point was that even if their subject matter does not appeal to one, the paintings can teach valuable lessons.

Thanks for this. I wish I could park myself in front of one of his paintings and study it. He knew what he was doing!

Edgar Payne's work may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I feel that we can all learn a lot by studying his bold brushwork and colour combinations.

Years ago, I had his book, "Composition of outdoor painting". I learned a great deal from it. I probably could use a refresher but the cost of that book has certainly gone up now.

Have to explain myself for it's loss, though. It was NOT through carelessness nor lack of appreciation for it, no matter how many times we have moved since then. Nope, Hurricane Katrina was responsible for that loss. Thinking about it sent me down the disappointing rabbit hole remembering the great art books I had, "as well as so many others" that I lost to that event.

Anyway, great book if you have the opportunity.

So sorry you lost treasured books in Hurricane Katrina. We truly don't know what we have til it's gone. Thanks for introducing me to this painter, his work is phenomenal!

We truly don't know what we have til it's gone.
Thank you. Sanlynn. That statement is profoundly true far beyond lost books. But, I am one who sets my face towards the good in my life. There has been and still is so much to appreciate.
And now that I'm reminded here, I'll be looking at this artist again. 🙂

Back