DECEMBER 2021 ANIMAL & WILDLIFE CHALLENGE

Christel - Perfect face. I am not surprised you have another talent.

Another sweetie. Very nice, Anne. It sound like a lot of digital work.
Thanks for the comment. It did take some time but it is enjoyable so I don't mind. A pen and ink artist said that although the medium is time consuming, just relax and enjoy the process.

Kay, your fawn and sleeping cat are just wonderful. I love your range of values in the fawn and your variety of color in the cat fur.

Joy, thanks for your comment.

pcj, thanks for the comment. Your dalmation is beautiful. I love everything about it. He looks so relaxed. I also like how you did the ground. Thanks for the progress steps. Your fawn is beautifully done as well. It seems to be ready to leap off the page. I like how you gave him so much depth with your careful choice of dark areas.

I will post mine and come back later with comments on other's work.
Here is my,attempt at "Your Rescue Cat Chester" He was fun to paint. 6x9 acrylic on canvas sheet.
View attachment 15506;)
BBL

Cindypaintings, nicely done painting of this sweet kitty. One thing I notice is that the black fur is equally dark everywhere which flattens the painting. If you look at the reference, there are some areas that are a lighter gray where the light hits the fur. I see a light area on the edge of the shoulder on our left, the top of his head and a little down into the forehead. I even see subtle light areas above both eyes. There are also slightly lighter areas on the back edge of the front leg on our right and on his rump on our right. Also notice on the reference that the white fur under his chin isn't all white. There is a blue tint that morphs into a soft gray. The color differences are subtle but I have found that it makes a difference. It takes practice to see them, but it gets easier as you train your eye to look for them.
(I hope the critique was ok, you said C/C welcome.)

Thanks for your comment on my Dalmation.

EP, I love all your animals. I especially like the fawn and bunny.

Christel, nice cat on the rock. That looks as if it was very difficult to do. Amazing!

This is a watercolor on Canson XL 140 sketchbook paper, so it is not the best paper, 7 x 9. Seems the dalmation was popular this month!

6F62E14C-C445-4B60-97B2-5ADF1931AE1E_1_201_a.jpeg

Cindy - Lovely face - I like his eyes and those whiskers !
EP - I agree with Joy - You are wonderfully creative !
Christel - I like your painting of Pearl. What paints did you use ?

Joy, Cindy, EP - Thank you very for comments on my drawings !

Cheers,
Patricia

Joy - Great work on the puppy ! I like his expression - my dog has
that same expression when I get out the doggie treats !
His fur looks so soft. I really like the background too. IMO watercolour
has to be the most difficult medium, you are very talented.
I remember seeing a wonderful painting you did of a jaguar or puma
Cheers,
Patricia

Anne - Thank you for comments on my drawings :)
Cheers,
Patricia

Reactions: ams
Joy, great work on the watercolor of the dalmatian. Love the sparkle in his eye and the soft colors in the white fur.

Anne, I do sketches digitally but have no patience for the actual painting and drawing. It would take me a week. Lovely job.
Kay, I like your take on the deer. The sleepy kitty is great.
Patricia, excellent, thanks for the WIP. Looks like pastel.
Cindy, nice work. I like your gesture.
Christel, how fun and clever, kitty on the rocks!
EP, you have such a unique style and fun way to show your work. I'm grinning.....

Thanks to all for the comments.

So much great work on show here! Thanks for everyone's comments on mine. Just realized I forgot to post my progress pics with it!

Ams - very cute digi work, the style of this reminds me of animated movies.
Kay - these are both beautiful and so sensitively painted. I love the looseness and the way each painting has a distinct temperature created by the colours you've used.
Christel - Sweet cat pebble, fun and creative idea
Eyepaint - love your characteristic approach to the challenge. My favourite little window is definitely the slightly angry-looking black cat! You've caught that expression perfectly!
Cindy - excellent, I love pretty much everything about this. Great decision making.
Patricia - splendid drawings both. The doe is my favourite. I'm so impressed with how you and Kay have both dealt with the difficult photo angle so well. For some reason when I saw the photo I thought it was a kangaroo!!! 😂
Joy - this is terrific, I can't believe you produced such a lovely watercolour painting on iffy quality paper. It's nice and loose and you've balanced the colours beautifully.

Well done everyone!

Ams - Thank you so much for your critique, much appreciated. I am going to try and touch up the areas you pointed out to me. I sometimes have trouble seeing some of the detail in pics and when someone points it out I think "Why didn't I see that?" In time I am sure I will be able to spot these things before posting and not just after... Lol Thank you again.

Ams - Thank you so much for your critique, much appreciated. I am going to try and touch up the areas you pointed out to me. I sometimes have trouble seeing some of the detail in pics and when someone points it out I think "Why didn't I see that?" In time I am sure I will be able to spot these things before posting and not just after... Lol Thank you again.
Thanks. Glad to help.

If you have any graphics software, sometimes you can take a reference and pump the contrast way up and then see the value changes a little more easily.

Jo Castillo
Thank you for comments on my drawings !
Cheers,
Patricia

Claudia
Thank you for comments on my drawings.
Yes,I thought he looked like a kangaroo in the photo too ! :)
Re: WIP [progress] photo's - I'd love to see them !
Cheers,
Patricia

Claudia
Thank you for comments on my drawings.
Yes,I thought he looked like a kangaroo in the photo too ! :)
Re: WIP [progress] photo's - I'd love to see them !
Cheers,
Patricia
I'm glad it wasn't only me who thought the fawn looked like a kangaroo!
Here are my WIP photos. I thought I'd taken more, but I must have got too involved with the painting and forgot!

My painting set-up and first washes
Set up (600 x 450).jpg

And further down the line... I mapped in the blue of the complex cushion pattern with watercolour pencil as a guide, but I still used watercolour paint as if there was no pencil, so it looks like only paint in the end.
WIP2 (487 x 600).jpg

Claudia, great photos and professional looking set-up! Thanks for the info. You are very talented.

Here are my drawings. Both are black and white charcoal sticks, pencils
and powder on Canson's toned pastel paper .
Cheers,
Patricia

View attachment 15500

and here are some of the WIP [progress] photo's

View attachment 15501

View attachment 15502

View attachment 15503

I think I've been getting a bit too 'nitpicky' with details so I thought
I'd do a quick 2 minute 'gesture' drawing of the doe -well I intended
it to be 2 minutes - it turned out to be 20 minutes !!

View attachment 15504
Excellent work, Patricia.

Back