DECEMBER 2021 ANIMAL & WILDLIFE CHALLENGE

Joe1It - Nice drawings. Lovely expression on the dalmatian.

Joe - These are both nice! I like the way the marks are in the direction of hair growth, for a natural look. The buffalo would benefit from from darker vaues to produce depth.

Ams, Pcj, Joy,
thank you very much for nice words, glad you liked them, Joy, thank you very much, I will try to continue it the Buffalo, for darker vaues, thank you

Reactions: ams
Hi Everyone and Happy Holidays! Sorry I have been MIA as our computer crashed in November during a brief power outage.
I am back now and viewing your beautiful works here for the December challenge!! I had a start on the Alpaca in November, but ended up with sinus problems from using the soft pastels. Need to wait till Spring to use them i guess. I will stick with acrylics and join the next challenge.
Looking forward to 2022!!!🙂

bjc, sorry to hear of your problems with pastels. I can't work with them either. My husband is allergic to them and I have some problems with them as well. Glad you have a backup medium that doesn't bother you.

I thought I would sneak one last one in this month.

This is ink & water-soluble graphite wash. It's a fun sketching medium to work in and goes quicker than other mediums I work in. This is done in a 6"x8" Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook which is a multimedia surface and probably took me about 1 1/2 hours.

20211229Sk6 Cat.jpg

Anne,
Lovely drawing ! I had not heard of water-soluble graphite . Does it come
in pencil or powder form ?
Cheers,
Patricia

Morning all. Hope you are all well.

Nice sketches Joe1It. I think you've caught something of the character of each animal. I agree the buffalo could do with a bit more shading though, to define the shapes.

Super ink and soluble graphite drawing of Pearl ams - those clearly work well together. I can't use any dusty media like soft pastels or chalk pastels. Even the drier/dustier lines of coloured pencils give me problems.

Anne,
Lovely drawing ! I had not heard of water-soluble graphite . Does it come
in pencil or powder form ?
Cheers,
Patricia
Hi Patricia. Thanks for your comment. I am using Derwent Water Soluble Sketching Pencils. I draw with them dry and then use a water brush to activate the color. I have a set of the three shades, light, medium and dark wash. This works great for small areas but I haven't been able to get an even wash for larger areas. Some artists activate the graphite with water first and then paint with the liquid. I want to experiment with that. When it comes time to replace them, I might try Faber Castel instead. They have slightly better reviews. Also Art Graf in a tin looks interesting. For all of these, I like the effect using smooth paper like all media or hot press rather than a cold press watercolor paper.

I feel I am a beginner with these and hope to learn more as I use them.

Morning all. Hope you are all well.

Nice sketches Joe1It. I think you've caught something of the character of each animal. I agree the buffalo could do with a bit more shading though, to define the shapes.

Super ink and soluble graphite drawing of Pearl ams - those clearly work well together. I can't use any dusty media like soft pastels or chalk pastels. Even the drier/dustier lines of coloured pencils give me problems.

Thanks Claudia. I have been having fun with these. If you aren't sensitive to regular graphite pencils, you would probably be ok with these.

Thanks a lot, Claudia.
I too have not used the means that make dust anymore.
I have an inktense pencil, which is water-soluble, I get along well with this, as with normal graphite pencils, as Ams says, derwent, quoted, I have the same brand, and some pencils of this brand besides inktense black, and I am among the ones that I find best. they don't irritate my eyes.

Ams - I have to post to say thank you for your tips on my version of Chester - Tuxedo Cat. I made the changes you suggested and am very happy with the results. Here is the improved version. Thanks again.
20211226_152808.jpg

Much nicer Cindy. I'm glad I was able to help. Thanks for posting again so I could see it.

Jo1lt, Ams and Joy - thank you again.
Joy - When I looked closely I realized the couch was actually dark green and not black. Thanks for the tips.

Back